Guerilla Gardening in Adelaide

• 18 replies
Guerilla Gardening in Adelaide
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:14:22 AM »
Planning a dig near Whitmore Square in the city next weekend 5-6 April.

Re: Guerilla Gardening in Adelaide
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 02:48:56 AM »
we are active regularly in the city...feel free to get in touch if you are interested in participating (digging, planting, watering, maintaining, pruning)! New guerilla gardeners much needed.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 03:09:08 AM »
Hey, I'd like to be recruited! I'm in the Adelaide area :) Sounds good. E-mail me if you guys are planning another dig - the_leopardess@hotmail.com

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:43:07 PM »
hey i am interested in being recruited. happyslappyno1@live.com
 I have a ute an many gardening tools including a cement mixer for making large amounts of seed bombs.

I have never been part of a guerrilla gardening group b4

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 10:41:10 AM »
I have just moved to Adelaide and just saw the story on Stateline.

Have been thinking about something like this but didn't know where to start.  Now it looks like I know.

Where can I start?

Tom

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 02:45:13 PM »
Hi! I am interested too  :) ;D

lib1972@yahoo.com

Cheers!

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »
Leopardess
Green Tom Thumb
Gitana

Maybe we should start another GG group for now!

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 07:38:15 AM »
I want in.

I'd really like to start cultivating masses of herbs to plant outside supermarkets.
My local shops has plenty of rosemary, but it would be nice to have other more 'useful' herbs.

Anyway, If you need extra hands for a project, contact me tommyhigh@gmail.com

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 02:00:52 PM »
 ;D Hello keen Gurerilla Gardeners, if you are looking for a spot to dig, check out the vacant lot on the corner of South Tce and Owen St in the city. This is the plot you might have seen on telly. There is a vege bed there against a wall, a fig tree which is superb in summer and we have started creating mounds for pumpkin and potato to be planted in spring. if you have any ideas in mind, the space is yours! We are sometimes there on Fridays and Saturdays, but you are free to bring a pal and come dig whenever. If you can bring a stash of news papers/lucerne/pea straw/compost and use it or leave it on the site, it would be most welcome. If you don't have tools, you could borrow some from a local community centre, like the South West Community Centre on Sturt St. Of course, gardening in your local area is the greatest as it allows ongoing ease of maintenance.
Cheery pip!
Plunky ;D

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 09:36:39 AM »
Hi there! Here u have two hands if you need any help! my email is juanibaiutti22 at hotmail.com
I'm living in Regency Park but I can go anywhere around adelaide
see ya

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 01:23:13 AM »
G'day all, I too am interested in Guerrilla Gardening and am wondering when the next dig will be, my email is historyrepeated@hotmail.com. I've been eyeing a derelict block of land a street above my house for quite some time now.  It's been unused and unloved for about 10 years now and I believe it's about time someone did something productive with it ;).   

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 01:23:04 AM »
Lets get in touch and get it!!!
Where is the place?

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 08:37:06 PM »
Hi I visited the plot at the corner of South Tce and Owen St in the city.

I also bought a ute full of compost there and prepared a circle garden bed with a clay pot in the middle. The clay pot is there to irrigate the plants that surround it. I prepared this at 4pm Friday and got a lot of curious looks from people walking bye. But no one said a word to me or tried to stop me  ;D

I haven't put plants in it but feel free to do so yourself. I should imagine that pumpkin, Squash, watermelon, gourds, zucchini or cherry tomato would be suitable because there is a lot of grass to compete with. But plant what you want with the more water needy plants closest to the clay pot.

If anyone lives close by could you put about 4L into the clay pot when you can. It probably need water daily. Or whenever suits you.

I live at Elizabeth East north of Adelaide so it is hard to maintain for me. But let me know next time on a friday or saturday when you plan to do some work there and we can share ideas. More hands the better. slapewayne@netspace.net.au

Is there anyone active in the northern suburbs. I have started a plot near my house it has a lot of natives, a bench seat and I have planted native fruit, prune tree and a grape fruit tree irrigated by a clay pot.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 11:04:25 PM by happy slappy »

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »
Hi All

Just wondering if you now meet regularaly or something for this, as I would be interested in helping (or finding out more). I just stumbled across this site yesterday and love the idea of it. I live in the Eastern Suburbs at the moment

Thanks
FNH

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 10:16:45 AM »
hey folks

we're based in the southern vales and each winter we go out and do reveg guerilla gardening, this year we'll be doing a big patch that includes native plants, fruit trees & vegie gardens for a permanent GG! we'll keep everyone posted as we get ready, once it cools down and maybe even rains! we're after timber for raised beds, fruit trees, vegie seedlings -lookign to start buildign in may & plantin in july! cheers, BCA

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 10:46:56 AM »
HI Plonky,

I would like to join the dig at whitmore sq on the 5th 6th April. Also I was wondering if I could find some info on guerrilla gardening projects around Adelaide. I have a university assignment where I have to find formulate a maths and science project to teach school students about the benefits of good soil. Would you have any info about this topic?
If not that's cool I'm just interested in joining in and helping a good cause.

Cheers :-*

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 07:53:16 AM »
I would love to be notified of any guerilla gardening projects going on in Adelaide and surrounding areas! harveycaitlin@hotmail.com, cheers and keep up the good work!

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 08:46:44 PM »
G'day, I am new to this forum & community...but an old planter.
I would appreciate the opportunity to join in with some projects.
I have a Bunya nut tree looking for a place to spread its roots.
grantsmale@yahoo.com.au

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 10:15:04 PM »
The willow out front of my house dropped a limb on my wife's car the other year, council claimed no liability, but took it out and replaced it with an exotic deciduous which seasonally spits resin onto anything close. I took it upon my self to replace it with a pear tree.
I was able to get some spring specials, a pear and an apple for $20 each. Yesterday I pulled a dead tree from the verge a block away and planted the apple. I was a little nervous and went in stealth style in hi-vis. There are no fruit trees in the councils street tree plan, but what could be nicer than to munch an apple when out for an evening stroll.....now to find a spot for the Bunya Nut Pine?