Little walnuts in my new garden

• 8 replies
Little walnuts in my new garden
« on: August 10, 2019, 02:55:14 PM »
Hello community!

I tell you that I bought a house, it is quite abandoned, and the same goes for your garden. I haven't had much money left to improve the state of the house, but I do have time to work in the garden (something I love). From there comes the next query (I have many more but I will start with this one).

Inside the jadin there are two small walnuts (approximately two meters high), the garden is not very large so I think they will occupy too much place if I let them grow freely, that is why I consider two options:

- Option 1: keep the size of the plants controlled by pruning. I am not an expert for what I have sought information, find this article on pruning of walnuts, who tell me is correct what it indicates there ?.

- Option 2: wait for the right time to extract the two plants and transplant them in my field. As for this, do you think they will survive the transplant?

Which of the two options is the viable? I hope you know how to advise me. :)

Re: Little walnuts in my new garden
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 03:18:08 AM »
How do you know they are walnuts?

And if so, Walnut trees grow quite large...so would have to be transplanted if you don't want large trees there.

However, I'm guessing they are like Pecan trees which have very deep taproots and usually don't survive transplanting even when just a foot tall seedling, much less a 6' sapling.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 11:43:28 AM »
For009, I would also consider about setting weed barriers around them. They can separate normal plants or trees from grass, and allow people to strew whatever they want near the tree. Two months ago, I've been searching for the best barriers and could find this resource ( website: https://bestyardproducts.com/best-weed-barriers/ ), where author explained everything about each model of weed barrier and how to maintain them.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:20:00 PM by jeffrey7wr »

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 03:05:35 AM »
I would control the size of the walnut plants by pruning and follow guidelines suggested on the article you linked about pruning walnut trees.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:29:08 PM by Niloufer »

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 06:30:32 PM »
I agree with the other posters that you should do some research on the walnuts. I would be hesitant to just start pruning without some prior knowledge or skill that may harm that tree.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 06:49:48 PM by Niloufer »

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 07:49:04 AM »
I have to agree with the others that you need to do your research on walnuts. You don't want to end up harming your tree.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:46:25 AM by Niloufer »

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 03:01:10 AM »
I agree with the others. At first, do your research properly and then try to do something. Otherwise, it can harm your tree.

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 08:35:20 AM »
I concur with the abovementioned, I would consider setting weed boundaries around them. They can isolate typical plants or trees from grass, and permit individuals to throw anything they desire close to the tree. I've discovered some great assets for finding the best boundaries
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 09:20:32 PM by Niloufer »

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 06:47:44 AM »
I admire what you have done here. I love the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that is working for you as well.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 07:59:19 PM by Niloufer »