First Post in Miami, FLORIDA

• 9 replies

RagTrade

• Resistance is Fertile!
    • Rag*Trade: Happy Clothing Co.
First Post in Miami, FLORIDA
« on: May 30, 2007, 02:05:27 AM »
8) Heya Everyone!
This is Stephanie Sunflowers, a business owner in Miami's Design District/ Little Haiti.  This board will help our gardening cause and be a great place to discuss upcoming digs! Please tell all your friends to join guerrillagardening.org to get acquainted with what it's all about!
 Our next step is to organize our very first dig!  The first thing is to pick a spot, so starting thinking of places within the Design District that can be easily gardened.  Let's start small and quick and we'll work our way up to bigger & bigger projects!

---All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today.
-  Indian Proverb

Here we go Miami! 8) 8) ;)
Feed the Green!

Re: First Post in Miami, FLORIDA
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 09:23:12 PM »
Stephanie - this is fantastic!  I am in!  I've already told a girlfriend who is also very excited about GG!  I have a site in mind...what about the little median on 39th and Biscayne that is designated with some little sign as a "park?"  It has a few trees, but could sure use some colorful flowers! :)

GG
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 10:13:03 PM »
I've been thinking about this since first mention, I am glad things are getting closer. I thought we should do two things. We should make sure were not planting invasive species, or adleast do our best to check which I don't mind taking care of.

Also, besides planting seed or plants there are a lot of plants such as succulents (cacti and jades) that will grow from leaf. you can actually take a handfull of leaves (pod looking things) and put them on or in the dirt and they will root themselves. I have done it in my own garden and the plants are usually very good to grow in  a lot of sun and little water. I have my eyes on a few places that have these plant so I can grab a good amount of leaves. There are also species like dracaena-- www.dracaena.com (they look like really small palm treesish) that we can cut from area where there are many (as 10-50 head can grow on one tree)...so we cut from an area where there are many and usually they will just take to the ground and root if you just stick them in the ground. In homestead I have seem rows of them. With thi sparticular plant cutting heads off will only make it grow more so its a benefit to both trees new (GG'ed) and old.

We could also plan it right before a rainy few days to help the plants ground. There are also oyster plants that are ok to plant in FL and takes easy to the ground and usually multiplies. We could also but the seeds of ebay in a lot (just make sure their not too old). I have a shove and some dirt mulch mixture.

plants for now:
aloe
oyster plant
dracaena
succulents
if we can get pineapple heads

Looking Forward
Bryan C. Crook[/font][/color]

RagTrade

• Resistance is Fertile!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 10:54:34 PM »
  Awesome! All this is sounding great!  If you can take a picture of the location you are thinking about so we can all have a look!! I will be posting my pictures up this week as well. 

Please tell all your friends about this!!!  The more help and supplies we can get the better!   I just want to clarify that this will all be out of our own pockets, so the more people involved the more resources we will have available.

I totally agree with the non-invasive species, and that IS one of our rules for GG.  And I love the succulent idea.. I have one in my backyard that never seems to die!  Each little piece can easily regenerate itself!

Let's start to compile a list of things we will need for our digs:  Here's a start...

-Gloves
 -Plastic Liter bottles (to be refilled with water)
 -Good tuff sneakers
 -Flashlights
 -Soil
 -Plants
 -Small shovels
 -Garbage bags (to clean out the area to be planted)

----What else?

Feed the Green!

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 12:18:03 AM »
Hey - I had the location wrong for the spot I would like to be considered to be GG'ed.  Its actually a small greenspace, designated as a "park" where NE 2nd meets 41st. I will get a photo and the exact location description.

I also love the succulents idea!  I have some leaves I can bring!  And what about planting coconuts?

Staying tuned for the next big rain.

star-orkids

• Tree-0-5 !
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 01:13:22 PM »
Whoooooooooo hoooooooooooooo!
This just keeps getting better and better!
I'm very excited to see what happens with this. I also have to agree about the succulents...they are the easiest to grow and to maintain..

Will be on the look out for some stomping grounds...

peace ;D

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 11:45:56 PM »
hello, i'm new here. a friend of mine referred me via myspace. i was wondering what you were planning to garden in miami. i noticed someone talking about the design district and i wanted to note that the design district is already pretty nice, however my home's landscaping is garbage and my last landscaper is m.i.a. i'm willing to wager anything that my home is far more in need of gardening than any design district in miami.

p.s.
what's with the "dig" terminology? is this archaeological gardening or is this some kinda slang to appeal to hipster beatnicks?

RagTrade

• Resistance is Fertile!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 04:52:49 PM »
Hi! A "dig" is the actually act of going out and gardening, it is a term used in the guerrilla gardening community.  Unfortunately, we cannot come to your house to garden.  GG is about finding unused PUBLIC space and beautifying it.  Check out the guerrillagardening.org's home page and you can learn all about it!
Feed the Green!

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 05:36:44 PM »
Congrats to Tree-0-5 on putting together an awsome first "dig." I never look at vacant lots the same!

star-orkids

• Tree-0-5 !
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 09:03:28 PM »
it was awesome being a part of this....

Tree -0-Five ....word!

untill the next dig