Plant Identification

• 11 replies
Plant Identification
« on: May 29, 2008, 10:01:04 PM »
I've got a garden in front of my house full of pretty plants, most of which I'm not familiar with (planted by previous residents).  Wanna give me a hand and help me I.D. some of 'em, so that I may use them to propagate?  Pics are at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/563632513XfQhlt?vhost=community

Also, I could use the address of a good plant identification Website.

Thanks!
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
Margaret Mead

cannonsblazing

Re: Plant Identification
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 10:56:40 AM »
Hi Bug :)

Picture # 100_0073 (the fuzzy plant!) looks to me like lamb's ear, Stachys lanata. I'm still working on the rest, the page takes aaaages to load haha.

cannonsblazing

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 11:05:15 AM »
Ok, well, I recognize many of the plants, but I'm lousy at names. I could probably look them up for you, but that'll take too much time right now since I'm on my way to my friend's graduation party. I could, however, ask my mother about them tomorrow (she's a gardener  :D ) and get back to you when I figured out some more.

Where do you live? (might give a clue to varieties, like the beech tree :) )

//cannonsblazing

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 11:54:29 AM »
Hi again, cannonsblazing!  You're my plant I.D. buddy!  I'm in Western North Carolina, which is in the Southern Appalachian region of the US.

Thanks for all your help!

Bug
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 02:36:01 PM by BugCatcher »
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
Margaret Mead

cannonsblazing

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 10:27:22 PM »
Mom says:

100_0064 is a weed! It will spread, get rid of it!

100_0066 and  100_0080 are hostas, two different varieties. They prefer a shadowy place to grow.

100_0070 might be a Canna Indica. Won't survive below freezing point (if it does freeze where you live, it's not a canna)

100_0071 is a Paeonia (I knew that too!  ;D Just couldn't open the picture before)

100_0072 might be a phalaris, but more likely a miscantus grass.

The red flowers in your other album could be Azalea (not sure about the spelling, sorry)

// cannonsblazing and Mom  :-*

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 11:51:41 AM »
i agree

2. is a weed

3. Does it flower? possibly a hemerocallis  (day lily) but can't see the leaves well enough.  they often grow next to hostas (your hostas look very healthy, you obviously don't have a slug problem)

4. really does look like a canna. Kind of at odds with the hostas that like damp shady conditions but if you are in a city and they are in front of  a south facing wall it could create a frost free, sub tropical micro-climate in which they could survive quite happily.

the grass is miscanthus sinensis and i think it is 'little zebra' or perhaps 'morning light'

5.These leaves also look like day lilies but habit seems a bit floppy. they also look a lot like the corocosmia in the shady area my garden at home. (At least i think they are crocosmia- they have little orange flowers at the end of the summer) is it growing from bulbs or roots?
If growing from lots of little bulbs then probably crocosmia.

6. Looks like a young phormium tenax - are the leaves very tough but split easily? if so its a phormium of some kind.

7. i recognise this plant but don't know what it is

You've got quite a few weeds around the shady plants. It will be a war of attrition unless you get some ground cover in. Lamium maculatum is an excellent plant for this situation. (dead nettles). you'll get masses of small soft variegated leaves that will match the hostas and a fabulous carpet of violet-pink flowers in spring. Its also a native species, cheap to buy, easy to grow and propagate and beneficial to wildlife.

hope i've been of some help

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 04:48:03 AM »
Wow - you folks have been a great help!  Thanks (I'll be uploading pics of my new and improved garden as soon as I can afford to buy new batteries for my camera).

Bug
Margaret Mead

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 09:36:49 PM »
Don't forget: the only difference between a weed and a garden plant is wether you like it or not.
Some weeds are lovely if well-managed, some garden plants can look atrocious. The difference is purely arbitrary (i.e.: taste).

cannonsblazing

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 11:58:54 AM »
Word.

I love dandelions  ;D

tampopo

• http://aware.ie
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 04:35:14 PM »
to cannonsblazing first, you are mad!

to bugscatcher,

yes, I think #4 is a crocosmia, but would need a wider view to confirm.
#5 and #6 look like irises to me.

I'd spell the other one a peony.

good luck with the rest of them

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 11:49:45 AM »
Dandelions make a mean salad  ;D

That said, #2 is def a weed. Grows smallish yellow flowers iirc, not very pretty.
#1's leaves looks like a birch or alder or family.
#7 looks like a flower bulb which will probably flower the coming month. #6 looks like it will also flower somewhere in the year, and I like the look of it.

cannonsblazing

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 06:08:22 PM »
Tampopo, there is a dandelion field near where my dad used to live, and it's beautiful!  ::) Haha