Anybody in Perth?

• 16 replies
Anybody in Perth?
« on: May 29, 2008, 01:28:54 PM »
I'm a rubbish gardener but I'm happy to try and work out a plan and pass trowels and plants to green-fingered people!?

Re: Anybody in Perth?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 03:28:39 AM »
I've only just found this forum, but until a GG group becomes established in Perth, I heartily recommend that you check out what various "friends of " groups are doing for Perth urban bushland reserves. For exmaple, there is the Firends of Shenton Park Bushalnd, or Friend of Piesse Brook, etc..

These urban bushland remnants still contain rare and threatened flora, fauna, fungi and unique ecological communities, and desperately need weeding and revegetation. APAC nurseries in Fremantle supply seed and seedlings for revegation (dieback free potting mix), and various community groups like Men of the Trees, and the Maylands Environment Centre sells these seedlings for direct planting.

There are also a number of community gardens around in Perth - Fremantle, such as City Farm (near Calisebrook train station in East Perth), and in Shenton Park. 

Whatever happens, I just hope that people do not plant invasive weeds. As a botanist, I am fully aware that species which are being promoted in other countries are NOT the species to be planted in Australia.

Perth is particularly susceptible to invasion from South African species - especially bulbs and grasses.

Urban plantings of dense, shrubby, flowering natives will also greatly assist urban birds, notably the honeyeaters, mistletoe birds, and small gleaning passerines (pardalotes, warblers, thornbills) .

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 03:34:49 AM »

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:25:10 AM »
Cheers to Cheilanthes! IT's good to hear the voice of reason - guerilla gardening shouldn't be about propagating any form of growing things at all at the expense of the balance in the locality, it should be about greening without damaging, supplying wild foods especially foods indigenous to that area, and about giving mother nature a hand against the damage caused by man - which includes accidental or deliberate spreading of weedy species!

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 07:16:23 AM »
Hey I'm in perth.  I am a experienced gardener and well prepared to start something.  Anyone interested please contact me.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 08:54:02 AM »
I am planning a Guerrilla Gardening Party this summer so i want to start organising now for a successful night!
I"ve just planted a whole bunch of flowers and some vegies, i have some friends donating some more plants, and i have a bunch of willing green thumb friends to help me out, over the next few months i will be growing, collecting and planning, so anyone who wants to help out either digging, planning or just donating let me know!
also if anyone knows of some good area's south-west of perth, we have found a few but nothing that really exciting, some where with lots of pedestrian traffic. All suggestions welcome as we will decide on the most appropriate place, if you can attain photo's that would help heaps otherwise just a detailed discriptions of where to find the place so we can check it out and photograph for planning.
I would really love as many people to help so msg me!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 03:53:36 AM »
Hi everybody

I'm planning a little social action in Beaconsfield (Perth Australia) next month.  Anybody here who has been following the hi-jinks in Federal Parliament over the proposed increase to the single pension (the Opposition) orto a number of pensions (the Government) will know that whilst pensioners are seriously struggling in this boom town of ours, as the cost of living skyrockets and the pension stays the same, Federal Parliament is bogged down in the who-proposed-what-without-a-seconder-in-which-house-of-parliament so any increase looks to be some time away.

As a quiet protest, I've borrowed (seriously, borrowed) a fleet of shopping trollies that were abandoned on the verges around the suburb (it's bring-out-your-dead month in this part of town) and I'm going to sow "senior's packs" of vege seedlings in them and drop them off, Father Christmas style, to the pensioners who live around me.  If they choose to continue to "borrow" the mobile-vege gardens I'm making for them, they should have crops of carrots, peas and beans, cucumbers, tomatoes and cabbages in a few months time.  Not sure about the timing for the cabbages but, hey, this isn't really about gardening.  This is a small, green-thumbed gesture in support of those fighting for a pension increase.

Any thoughts much appreciated.  Will post updates with pics as time goes by.

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 03:50:06 AM »
Hi folks,

I just found out about this and am just so excited. If anyone is interested in either GG or helping set up vegie gardens for oldies please get in touch. We will be looking to get something done over this weekend and every weekend here-after. I also know people who are available over the week.

I have to get back to work now :o)

Ilija

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 06:51:58 AM »
Hello to anyone out there,
I got the guerillagardening.org handbook as a present for christmas and it has opened my eyes to something i only knew a little about. I study in Perth and I'm excited to get some guerilla gardening happening in 2009!!!
I want to make the world a greener, cleaner and more beautiful place, to remedy some of the wrongs we've done to the earth.
I'm especially interested in planting native plants.
If anyone has any projects or group digs that i could come along and help out with i'd be really grateful!
Hearts

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 12:29:42 PM »
hey, I'm in Perth too. I'm up for it. If others think there's enough interest we should have a planning meeting. Where does everybody live?

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »
Well I'm looking for a house at the moment haha but i'm in the Mount Lawley/North Perth area around my campus.
I'm happy to travel around on public transport and -once i get a bike- ride anywhere. Maybe we could all meet up in the city at a cafe and chat and plan about where we will plant and what. I can ask people on the WA Student Environmentalist Network email list if they are interested?
Hearts

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 05:47:36 AM »
Ok, obviously there's not a lot happening in Perth at the moment re: GG (the new tv series excepted perhaps).
Might I suggest the best way to kick things off would be for someone to identify a location, then pick a date and time - then just put the word out.
Who knows, you might be flooded by GG wannabes!

Myf

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 01:42:38 AM »
Hello! I only just found this site but am keen to know if anyone has anything happening in Perth.

I am an amateur gardener at best but keen to help someone with a bit more know-how!

I am in the Byford area, south west of Perth. Where is everyone else?

Getting something started
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »
Hi, i am interested in getting something happening, if interested let me know

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 05:01:21 AM »
I have some gardening experience and would really like to do some guerrilla missions with other people. The aim is to get a regular crew going in the mount lawley or surrounding area. Email guerrillagardernersperth@gmail.com if you live in Perth and want to get connected to others and get planting.

sick chook

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 08:53:49 AM »
Hi Black Planters
Just wanted to post a reply by way of encouragement. Don't live near enough to you to be able to GG effectively with you, but wanted to let you know kindred spirits are out there in Perth. I GG-ed a small patch near the bus stop (on railway reserve) where I catch my bus to work every morning. I carry milk bottles of water to water the garden when I go to work. Garden is thriving at this time of year - been in since May. I now have a garden buddy, who I met through the garden itself, which is a huge help with the watering! Good luck!

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 01:02:42 PM »
Hi I am on the parent committee for a community kindy. We inherited one playground and the other part of the garden was totally barren. We have reticulated it and laid some grass but we are looking at planting down three sides of the garden in a busy bee on Oct 23rd (Greenwood/ Hamersley/ Warwick area). I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of where to find which plants are suitable given there will be children playing (the lists I have found are 2000 plants plus) - or maybe a list of suitable plants. Also if anyone wants to donate any suitable cuttings/ plants or wants to come along and help pls let me know - it would be much appreciated. As someone who only really has experience cutting back wild plants in the garden any help/advice would be gratefully recieved! Thank you