Camden Canal Dig next Wednesday and after

• 77 replies

Caitlin

Re: Camden Canal Dig next Wednesday and after
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2008, 06:54:43 AM »
We had a good time by the canal last night.

Three of us were there and did a bit of tidying up and planted about fourteen lovely new plants.

These included six given to me by a friend's florist who happened to be delivering some potted plants to her earlier in the day and was very keen to chat about guerrilla gardening. So thanks to Titania's in Marylebone for the generosity. 

The site now seems pretty much fully planted and we were saying it's time for a good clearup next week and to go ahead with Sophia's idea of improving the soil.

Then onto another spot ...

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2008, 08:52:17 AM »
That's great! Can't wait to see it. OK, next Wednesday I'll be there with earth and will also read up a bit on how to improve soil.

S

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2008, 06:20:16 PM »
hallo! sorry i havent posted in a while...im in switzerland at the mo and wont be back for a couple of weeks...anyway hope its chugging along nicely!

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2008, 02:36:04 PM »
Hello Everyone

I will meet you at the site tomorrow, not at INspiral Lounge, as I will come directly from Camden with a bag of earth. I should be there from aroun 7, looking forward to catching up!
S

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2008, 06:42:35 PM »
Great, see you there.

Caitlin

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »
I'm hoping to bring a 30 litre bag of peat-free compost if the shop has them in stock on Wednesday.

Either way, I'll definitely be there, with my watering can on a rope and some squirty bottles for anyone who wants one.

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2008, 09:26:39 AM »
Hello, are people meeting in the inspiral lounge first as I have no idea where the site is?  I finish work in Covent Garden at 6 so can be up there 6.30ish?  I will try and get compost at lunchtime and see how much I can carry.  I have some seeds, a trowel and wellies too but sounds like you have planted stuff already.  Looking forward to meeting y'all. Lou

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2008, 02:39:32 PM »
Hi Looby

I guess the others will still be meeting at the lounge, otherwise just walk along the canal (eastwards) for about ten minutes from Camden and you will find us. THe entrance to the canal is on the other side of the road of the Inspiral Lounge.
Best

S

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2008, 08:44:11 AM »
anything happening at this dig at the weekend by any chance?  I can not make Wednesdays usually...

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2008, 10:17:09 AM »
Hi Everyone

if it's raining like this tonight I won't come! No point mucking about in the mud...the plants have been loving it though! Is anyone else planning on coming at all?

Re: Greenspirit - the meetings happen on Wednesday, but you can try and set up a separate meeting on the weekend - or go it alone. The site is easy to identify and can definately do with more tending and care on other days too, let me know and I'll send you directions.

S

« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2008, 02:26:48 PM »
hi im back from switzerland where i gotta great tan..! im ready to do some stuff soon...praps not today clearing house and rain is not good! anyway how about this sat...or next weds??

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2008, 03:50:23 PM »
hello, so shall we all meet up at 7 in the inspiral lounge this Wednesday????

« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2008, 09:54:43 AM »
Hi

I'll be definately there. I might get off work a bit early and then it's easier for me to meet you directly at the site. I'll post a message. Visited the site yesterday and it's looking good. I did some weeding in the morning, and on my way back in the evening noticed that someone had watered it. Then a lady stopped (I noted the Camden Gardening Centre bag in her hand) and said that she had been watching the progress on the site and had been loving it!

Best
Sophia

« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2008, 03:51:42 PM »
I can't make it tomorrow but Oli will be there.  I had a nice chat with a guy while I watered yesterday.  He thought I was going to jump in the canal at first when he saw me getting water.

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2008, 12:03:39 PM »
Hello

I'll definately meet you at the site tonight rather than in the lounge. See you later!
S

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2008, 01:20:20 PM »
ok 7 at the inspiral lounge!  :) everyone welcome! see you at the canal sophia...

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2008, 08:55:05 AM »
yesterday was good. three of us turned up and the plants got a well deserved watering...and weeding! the tomatoes by the pub are doing fantastically and some flowers have sprung up on some other plants....a few people came along and said they'd come next week.....this equally applies to anyone else who wants to come 7pm every wednesday at the inspiral lounge (caff by camden lock!)...everyone welcome!

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2008, 09:21:02 AM »
Hello Everyone

a Kentishtown guy on Freecycle is keen to give away bags of topsoil, which he has just dug up from his garden - just the stuff we need for the site!

He lives pretty close to our site at Leighton Place:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-emea-uk-goog-gm&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=google%20maps

Can anyone come there tomorrow evening to help me carry some bags to the site? He's packed them into 25l bags. Perhaps we could meet there at 6:30 or so?

I also want to pick up some shrubs from the Gardening Center, which closes at 7..so it's all a bit of a logistical challenge.

Best

Sophia

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2008, 09:49:13 AM »
Hi Guys.

Glad to hear that the digs are going well. Hopefully one of these Wednesdays I will be able to come along!

If anyone is interested, there will be a dig at the Planter on Hawley Road on Thursday night at 8pm. It is a bit of a mess (see the "Possible Camden Site" thread for details), so the more the merrier!

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2008, 02:31:33 PM »
hi sophia, i will meet you there at 6.30....!

also....all those other people out there who want to come along this wednesday please do!!! we meet at the inspiral lounge (just by camden lock-at 7...) and we'll be carrying on planting things in our patch by the canal which is getting bigger and bigger....

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2008, 10:37:15 AM »
Great. I'll see you there tonight.
Best
Sophia

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2008, 12:51:39 PM »
Hey Richard -

hope you get this message - the owner of the earth said that we could only drop by after 730 - let's meet as normal therefore (i'll see you at the site) and then consider if we still want to go and get it.
S

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2008, 09:21:29 AM »
Hi Guys

the site is comming along splendidly! 8)

The guy from freecycle is still trying to get rid of the topsoil, which would be ideal for the site. Maybe we could have another attempt at getting it on Wednesday, given that it is so close by. I can rent a car from streetcar for an hour (there are lots in Kentish town) and could drive the bags with the soil to one of the entrances next to the site, where we could unload them together.

Is anyone coming on Wednesday who could do this?

Best

S

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2008, 12:10:41 PM »
I'm free to join you this Wednesday if you're looking for more willing hands?  Let me know what I need to bring and I'll be happy to get stuck in.

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2008, 03:59:16 PM »
Hi Sophie

that's great! We'll probably be meeting at the Inspiral Lounge again, at 7. Sometimes we meet directly at the site - just monitor the board. Just in case, the site is on the canal, near the entrace off Royal College Street. You can also get onto the canal at Camden (or anywhere else of course) and walk until you see the site.
I'll see what happens regarding the soil that someone is giving away in Kentish Town.

With regards to plants - I have been thinking and researching good plants and I think we could either do with
 - a honeysuckle
 - some oregano (could be an ornamental variety that has big flowers to attract bees)
or perhaps
 - some more thyme (classic variety best, one that flowers)
 - or some marguerites

But whatever takes your fancy really and is hardy...and also don't think that you have to bring flowers. Yourself is good enough of course, a pair of gloves and a small shovel is handy.

Best

S
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:04:57 PM by Milli3000 »

« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2008, 09:57:42 AM »
hello...hope alls well...i will be there this wednesday at about 7ish...! also everyone else is welcome. every week we have people coming to talk to us saying we're doing a cool interesting thing, so if your one of those people please come along and help! (we meet by the inspiral lounge-by camden lock at 7pm every weds...i'll be outside with a black scruffy coat on and have a beard)...richard-plus we really dont know much about gardening so dont think you need to be an expert!

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2008, 04:12:21 PM »
Unfortunately I can't join you tonight as stuck at work  :'(   ......but will definitely come next week armed with a shovel and plants.  Sophie

« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2008, 08:51:03 AM »
ah, dont worry, last night it was the two of us, so it'll be good to have a few more people. the site is looking lovely, the nasturniums will flower soon and the other plants (names of which i forget) are looking stunning! there is a bit on the end which we want to develop and may even have a TROOP DIG SOON!!! :o so keep you eyes posted for more info all wannabee guerillas...