Any current GG going on in north Miami-Dade or Fort Lauderdale?

• 6 replies
Hello fellow GGers,

I just found this site and can contribute if you can use my skills. Heavy lifting, digging, are difficult for me (bad joints/age), but I'm pretty good at starting seeds, taking cuttings, growing seedlings in pots til ready to plant. If others have extra nursery pots, or those discounted broken bags of potting soil from the box stores (sold at a discount I'm told),  I can take cuttings of what's here and start plants for GG endeavors. I've got crotons I can take cuttings from and start, hibiscus, and if I can get them going, 3 royal palms (most likely from the two huge ones here). Oh, and I've nice amaryllis bulbs ready to go into the ground if there's a local site currently under GG construction. I will start cuttings of coleus, if we've any activities planned here in the Broward/Miami-Dade area. Any interest?

girlsaylor
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 05:14:32 PM by girlsaylor »

Re: Any current GG going on in north Miami-Dade or Fort Lauderdale?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 06:52:23 PM »
You can count me in!  I just moved down here a few months ago...  it would be nice to start doing things down here.

-Elizabeth

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 12:20:04 AM »
Hi Elizabeth! OK, that makes two of us now! Do you have any sites in mind? I don't as yet.

I'll try and get some potting soil and take cuttings of some things to get going, to keep cost down, if not almost free. I do have some small pots here for the project too, from a bit of dumpster-diving awhile back.

You can send me a personal note if you want to discuss in greater detail.

Thanks again and welcome!

girlsaylor

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 02:56:45 PM »
Hey if you guys are still heading out there for digs in august count me in! I'd love to know more and join in so keep me on the back burner!

Ariela

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 12:05:27 PM »
Hi GGers,
I have a site  - coconut grove (west grove area) they're in urgent need for people like us!! the site is located on Frow Avenue right at the intersection with Margaret street. (google 3300 Frow Ave and you'll see a gated area with some beautiful trees.) Right now there is just turf on the ground. From the city zoning map, it looks like this lot used to be the continuation of Margaret street but somehow somewhere it got cut off and became a little pathway for pedestrians and bikes. I have pictures but can't post them up because i misplaced my camera cord that connects to the computer. Google it for now and i'll post the photos soon!

The site is asking for our intervention! Let's get moving!

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 02:34:34 PM »
Hi granola mia et al-

The site sounds like a good one-nice job scouting. When you can, please post photos. Here is a link to see an aerial view of the spot on microsoft virtual earth:

http://maps.live.com/#JnE9eXAuMzMwMCtGcm93K0F2ZStjb2NvbnV0K2dyb3ZlK2ZsJTdlc3N0LjAlN2VwZy4xJmJiPTU3LjMyNjUyMTIyNTIxNzElN2UtMzkuOTkwMjM0Mzc1JTdlMTQuNjA0ODQ3MTU1MDUzOSU3ZS0xMTYuNjMwODU5Mzc1

Due to the holiday, some people may have limited availability. I know Ariela will only be with us a short while longer.

That said, looks like we have a group of four right now-
granola mia, reli lion, lizardqueene, and moi, girlsaylor.

My offer still stands to supply some plants/cuttings; I have a hand trowel for planting, but no large shovel for site prep. Some cuttings are ready to go, some not ready at this time.  Anybody available before Ariela leaves? Anybody got tools, mulch, plants, or other supplies for a dig?

Post please, GGers!

girlsaylor

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 02:37:39 PM »
I'm going to move this over to the Miami group, as it's quite a drive from Fort Lauderdale to Coconut Grove.
girlsaylor