Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2017, 04:59:55 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the GuerrillaGardening.org Community, a place for guerrillas and wannabe guerrillas from around the world. Enlist with a username and password to share your guerrilla gardening plans, activity and advice. Find support or just go for it solo, sow the seed and get something growing. Click here to return to the home page: www.GuerrillaGardening.org

You can also connect with people at the GuerrillaGardening.org Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/guerrillagardening

TIP: To get alerts to replies to your messages click PROFILE then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left hand side menu. There is a check box to get alerts, and a check box to see recent posts at the top.

+  guerrillagardening.org
|-+  Regional Boards
| |-+  Malaysia
| | |-+  Plant List
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Plant List  (Read 37166 times)
Joanne Lee
ELSEWHERE GGs
Troop

« on: May 14, 2008, 11:43:49 AM »

What plants would be suitable? They've gotta look nice, and 'tahan' the weather, Especially during our storms...
Joanne Lee
ELSEWHERE GGs
Troop

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 09:37:55 AM »

Chilli padi?
Oregano?
Thyme?
Basil?
Celery?
Other mint plants?
Pandan leaf?
Aloe vera?
Kam Quat??
Kaffir Lime (Limau Purut)
Other Lime Plants?
Coriander

What think you?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:07:06 AM by Joanne Lee » Logged
weedflower
Troop

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 07:57:36 PM »

I think it would be nice to mix herbs and flowers.

A lot of the flowers i don't know the name but hehe the good thing is there is a garden in almost everyone's house

Pandan is good cause everyone use it
Jagung for people to makan
Lime plants so all the teh ais limau ppl and the bomoh can use haha
Pegaga local herb
What else ahh?
Dustin Chung
Troop

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 05:46:05 PM »

Are there any plants that are small enough to be planted without being initially noticed?
Clarence
Troop

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 04:25:13 PM »

I think we should use seed bombs. But dig a small hole into the ground and stuff it in.

The plants must be sturdy...

Maybe can ask a local gardening store about it...

will get back to you
Joanne Lee
ELSEWHERE GGs
Troop

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:47:19 PM »

I thought of seed bombs before... cause easy, just throw out of car window...

Papaya seed is really easy... my friend's mom once threw some into the drain... few months later, got papaya tree growing out of the drain... so I'm thinking, throw papaya seed bombs out of car window along federal highway... next thing you know, everyone got free papaya during the jam back home... ha ha Wink
Joanne Lee
ELSEWHERE GGs
Troop

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 08:55:11 PM »

I did some research and experiments... my grandmother, being some who I interviewed...

chili padi: very hard to grow, need very good soil and rigorous mantainence... mine died in 5 months... my grandma say must put special fertilizer and chicken shit in it..Huh I still blur bout her kampung language...Huh

pandan: the root must grow really deep for it to thrive... so if we try planting it at some divider, there's concrete just a few feet underneath... so plant wont survive...

oregano, basil: need cool weather like in Cameron highlands... KL temperature will kill it... and if I'm not mistaken, basil can't take too much water in it's early stages... Now rainy season... sure die wan
Elizabethlle
Troop

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:04:07 PM »

something sturdy.. with not much care of as our weather is really going cuckoo pass few months.
i suggest money plant... =P   *reason is thats the only plant surviving in my house*
Joanne Lee
ELSEWHERE GGs
Troop

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:14:13 PM »

Hello elizabeth,

Welcome!!! get your friends involved as well...

I totally agree with money plant... they're very strong... (google it if you're wondering what it looks like) and they like wet soil... now rainy season... best time to start

Another plant my mom swears by is the Mother-in-law-tongue plant (can google it as well) no mantainence needed at all... just plant, and it'll florish on it's own...
Elizabethlle
Troop

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 03:32:20 AM »

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for the welcome =)

The best thing to do is right now is to find a plot of empty land and experiment on it or anyone out there that have been gardening for years and can provide advise or baby plants/seeds would be the best... we can just "campak" everything we have, and watch what will happen to the plants and from there we will know what plants to cross out from our list...

Any suggestion on places to plant-plant??? I know Puncak Jalil is quite empty..
Joanne Lee
ELSEWHERE GGs
Troop

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 12:28:17 PM »

I think that as long as it is tropical/jungle plant, it should thrive. Because the weather and soil type suits it's needs... We dont even need to purchase plants like what they do in other countries. We can just take from the roadside or from our jungles/rivers... I've seen some spots with plants growing abundantly and unmanicured... this means that they dont belong to anybody, not even DBKL bothers if we take a few and plant elsewhere...

Another plant would be creapers... can grow them along cement walls on our highways... Places like Sri Hartamas, Penchala Link and near Western Digital/SS3 intersection are overgrown with creapers, can take from there and plant someplace else... what do you think?

As for locations, what say you if we start at bus stops and highways?
Elizabethlle
Troop

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 12:55:16 PM »

good idea.. we can start by taking unwanted plants around where ever we can reach to...  Grin

another thing is, do you think police will stop us from digging and planting???
Joanne Lee
ELSEWHERE GGs
Troop

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 01:02:12 PM »

I dont think they care... they have politics, illegal gathertherings, and drunk drivers to catch
Elizabethlle
Troop

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 10:50:21 AM »

hmmm.. dont you think it's going to be slighty difficult for us since there are none malaysian seems to be into this?? HELLO MALAYSIAN?? HELLOOOOO???
Joanne Lee
ELSEWHERE GGs
Troop

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 11:20:33 AM »

http://mgonline.com/luckybamboo.html

The website above explains about the lucky bamboo plant that is now a very hot trend to have at home. Part of the reason is feng shui, and the other are it's many shapes.
Joanne Lee
ELSEWHERE GGs
Troop

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »

Eh apparently, florida people grow Rubber Tree indors : http://mgonline.com/rubber.html

that's very interesting... my grandparents were rubber tappers, and whenever i went back there, I'd spend evenings at the rubber estate, picking rubber seeds...
Joanne Lee
ELSEWHERE GGs
Troop

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 11:59:56 AM »

We have plenty of these just creeping on trees and in bushes along our roads....
Here's picture: http://mgonline.com/monstera.html
Elizabethlle
Troop

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 10:10:05 AM »

I have officially killed my first mosquito plant.... but i have another 2 to back up. 

and i have also learned how to take care of mosquito plant... 

bamboo plant must buy during chinese new year. cheap and many many varieties...
Kawisun
Troop

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 10:53:25 AM »

Hi all, I don't actually live in Malaysia yet but will be in a few years, so wanted to join the Malaysia group. We travel to malaysia several times a year and have many friends there. Anyway I currently live in Hong Kong and for some of the year the climate is just like Malaysia. I have started growing fruit trees on my roof in readiness to plant out. I grew them from seed after buying the fruit to eat. Maybe you could try Longan or Lychees they grown abundantly in the area I live (Lantau island not Hong Kong island). Papaya is really popular here too and seems to grown almost anywhere. Also we have alot of Banana trees.
If any of you guys are Facebook members go look for a group called the Malaysian Eco Warriors they do alot of stuff in the environment including re-planting of mangroves. They have alot of experience and ideas, perhaps you could pick up a tip or two from them and of course vice versa.
Whatever you do keep growing and planting.
Kawisun
Troop

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 10:56:25 AM »

Elizabethlle - You mention Mosquito plant, I have heard of it from afew different people in Malaysia but no one seems to know the official name of it, do you?  Huh

Keep growing and planting. Smiley  Roll Eyes
linggobayu
Troop

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 08:23:37 PM »

Hello all..

@Elizabethlle

All of plant is money, each other was have the benefit  Smiley
plants for killed the mosquito is Zodia
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length