Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 30, 2017, 01:49:33 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the GuerrillaGardening.org Community, a place for guerrillas and wannabe guerrillas from around the world. Enlist with a username and password to share your guerrilla gardening plans, activity and advice. Find support or just go for it solo, sow the seed and get something growing. Click here to return to the home page: www.GuerrillaGardening.org

You can also connect with people at the GuerrillaGardening.org Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/guerrillagardening

TIP: To get alerts to replies to your messages click PROFILE then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left hand side menu. There is a check box to get alerts, and a check box to see recent posts at the top.

+  guerrillagardening.org
|-+  Regional Boards
| |-+  UK
| | |-+  London
| | | |-+  Southwark
| | | | |-+  New Kent road planters - new site
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Kent road planters - new site  (Read 12275 times)
Ben Mason
Troop

« on: May 05, 2008, 11:17:19 AM »

During the International Sunflower Guerrilla Day Walk (phew...) on May 1st we found some overgrown planters next to a petrol station. We planted some sunflowers amongst the weeds hoping to brighten the place up. But this seemed like too good a plot to leave like that so I popped back yesterday, cleared it and planted some bamboo and a ring of sunflowers in one.

I plan to go back at some point and deal with the other two planters. There are some decent plants in there that need help and there are a lot of weeds to clear.

Anyone fancy it one evening soon? I'll update this thread when I have more details.

Some pics of the planter I've tackled here. The other two are of similar width but taller.
Before:

After:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 11:21:41 AM by Ben Mason » Logged
Naomi Ivers
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 01:34:47 PM »

Hello!

I volunteer my services to the cause of New Kent Rd!  Let me know when you're planning do get planting and I'll see if I'm free.  I live just of Old Kent Rd so it would be nice to see my trip to work brightened up on those cold and rainy mornings!  Cheesy
Ben Mason
Troop

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 03:33:37 PM »

Hooray. I shall have a think and post some possible dates.

B
rosebud
Troop

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 08:10:06 PM »

I'm in.
Erica
Troop

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 11:03:30 AM »

I'm in
Ben Mason
Troop

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 11:10:10 AM »

Excellent Cheesy

I can do Monday, Tues or Fri evenings next week. So that's 12th, 13th or 16th.

Let me know which ones you can do and we'll choose the most suitable. It'll give me a chance to grab some plants form the mkt on the weekend as well.

12, 13 or 16th?

B
wallflower tim
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 05:32:22 PM »

I could manage 13th but not sure if there are already enough people crying out for the spot? Looks smallish?

keep an eye out all you south londoners - i am plotting a revisit to the new cross gate site & its quite big!
Ben Mason
Troop

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 09:22:48 PM »

There are two planters that are the same width as the one in the pic. And prob some work on the one in the pic so I reckon  of us could work well.

Let's say Tue 13th for now and see who can make that.

B
rosebud
Troop

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 09:53:45 PM »

I can do 13th.
Ben Mason
Troop

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 11:58:12 AM »

FINAL DATE:  Tuesday 13th (tomorrow) at 8pm. Meet outside the garage (BP, I think) which is on New Kent rd & Theobald road.

You can see the overgrown planters here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=theobald+st,+se1&sll=51.494472,-0.09028&sspn=0.000792,0.002511&ie=UTF8&ll=51.494403,-0.089757&spn=0.003166,0.010042&t=k&z=17&iwloc=addr

I checked the site yesterday and, despite having not watered it at all, the sunflower seedlings are sprouting voraciously.

I got a tray of Geraniums and Salvia at the market to add a bit of colour to the place. We've also got some reeds donated from somewhere else. And also some big bushes being donated that might or might not suit this. We can work that out.

Work is as follows:
-clear two overgrown planters of weeds but leave the established plants in.
-decide how to distribute the plants. I think we have plenty.
-add any to the bamboo/sunflower one i've done already
-plant even more sunflowers?!
-water it all loads. (i'll bring a bucket and we can pinch water from the petrol station

I'll bring the plants, sunflower seeds, a bucket, some compost and any spare tools/gloves that I can borrow and be there for 8pm. Bring any tools, plants and compost that you have but don't worry if you don't.

Please let me know if you're coming or not. Post here or call. My number is 07812 051 eight four zero.

Rosebud - I'll consider you confirmed.

Cheers all,
Ben
Flash
Troop

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 09:05:17 AM »

Get some pictures whilst you are there, would be great to see the results.  Smiley
Ben Mason
Troop

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 03:09:43 PM »

Update: plants, bucket and compost are still coming with me.

I can't borrow as many tools and gloves as I'd hoped so do try and bring what you can. I should have a trowel and a shovel and my own gloves. I'll see what else is lying around.

And we'll certainly get pics, Flash.

See those who can make it, at 8pm tonight.
B
Ben Mason
Troop

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 06:44:41 PM »

Lyla and I  gardened good! It was excellent and lots of fun. See the photos. There's still lots of work to be done on the site but its a good start.

And, as so often happens, we met some wonderful characters while digging. A nice man called Jasper stopped and talked to us for a while before getting a trowel and getting involved. And he let us into his lovely house to get water. And, to top it all, he took us to meet a local man who has a warehouse conversion full of plants and always has tired plants to dispose of. It couldn't have been more useful or enjoyable.

There's more work to be done here so if anyone's interested, do let me know.

Lyla Patel
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 03:34:16 PM »

wow it does look lovely! so simple so effective!
Ben Mason
Troop

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »

Yes. I popped back the other night. We'd recruited a new chicken bone and lost a couple of flowers but its generally looking good.
Flash
Troop

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 10:08:45 AM »

Well done guys, it looks much better now!  Cheesy
GreenSpirit
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 06:02:59 PM »

looks good,  how is it doing now??

Ben, please let me know of future activities as I'd be happy to get involved when I'm free!! 
MarkSE1
Troop

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 01:40:45 PM »

Just signed up, and am keen to be invovled, this is really close to me. Have a small garden and a car, so hopefully I can be of some help.
Ben Mason
Troop

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 02:33:04 PM »

Hey Mark,

Good to hear from you.

For now this place just needs lots of water. I was using the tap at the local BP garage but it's now broken. The planter has really suffered without much water.

Unfortunately we didn't dig all the soil over when we planted it. We first threw in sunflower seeds and they sprouted. So when we decided to do the whole planter up, we didn't want to disturb the sunflowers and so didn't dig it over. The problem is now that the soil is very dense and doesn't hold any mositure. And the roots of each plant have not become established enough so things are realluy drying out.

So if you fancy it, feel free to go and dump bucket loads of water on it at any point. I think giving it a few really good soakings would help loads. I'd be happy to join you, I'm just down the road at the Elephant roundabout. I don't have a car tho so it's difficult to get large amounts of water there. I can bring containers.

And then once the summer is over, we can dig the whole thing over and sort out the soil right through it before putting all the plants back in it.

If you want to chat about plans for it, just let me know and I'll send you my mobile number.

Ben
lodgereviews
Troop

Fisherman Canada's Lodge Review

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 07:03:25 PM »

Good Job Guys... Keep Up the great work.. Smiley
dimitris
Troop

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 03:41:48 PM »

Hi everyone,

We are doing a project on promoting Guerrilla Gardening in Elephant & Castle and Southwark and we would love to get in touch with people who love it! Please contact us and feel free to complete our quick survey
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/96LL5ZQ

Thank you in advance  Grin
elisa wells
Troop

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 08:42:17 AM »

I'm so new to this area. I'll learn more from all of you here! Cheesy

Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length