The Lot Garden; Day 8.

• 3 replies

moy

The Lot Garden; Day 8.
« on: April 09, 2008, 02:36:47 PM »
A lot of progress has been made. I'd like to thank cmurphyum for dropping by Saturday and helping me out. Together we cleared, leveled and partitioned "Section 2". On day 6 I sowed tomato seeds on that section. Also on "Section 1" Daisies along with Cosmos were sowed. I have not been able to work on the garden for the past couple of days due to the weather. When it clears out I am going to start on "Section 3". I'm there during the day, if you can lend a hand send me a message.
I have attached some pictures of the progress and also a quick sketch of the layout of the first half of the garden.

Re: The Lot Garden; Day 8.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 02:55:42 AM »
It was nice seeing the progress we were able to make in just a few hours.

I think its also great that tree-0-5 has an ongoing project to work with. The lot itself is teeming with potential. The biggest immediate task will be removing scruff for the areas which can be easily planted. From the progress two of us made last weekend in only a few hours I think with a few more people we can easily create several more planters in a single concerted effort. The only thing we are really lacking is a date and time to get some people together. Well that and maybe mulch. Its also great to know that Moy is close enough to maintain the location once its complete so all the hard work continues to benefit the local community for all a long time.

So lets pick a meeting time. I think weekends in the early evening are best. I'll bring the range finder.

For anyone who wants to run by and see the progress first hand here is a link to the location.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=25.773864,-80.22797&daddr=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=19&sll=25.773859,-80.227991&sspn=0.001068,0.001824&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=19

Best,
Chris

moy

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 01:14:03 PM »
It was nice seeing the progress we were able to make in just a few hours.

I think its also great that tree-0-5 has an ongoing project to work with. The lot itself is teeming with potential. The biggest immediate task will be removing scruff for the areas which can be easily planted. From the progress two of us made last weekend in only a few hours I think with a few more people we can easily create several more planters in a single concerted effort. The only thing we are really lacking is a date and time to get some people together. Well that and maybe mulch. Its also great to know that Moy is close enough to maintain the location once its complete so all the hard work continues to benefit the local community for all a long time.

So lets pick a meeting time. I think weekends in the early evening are best. I'll bring the range finder.

For anyone who wants to run by and see the progress first hand here is a link to the location.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=25.773864,-80.22797&daddr=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=19&sll=25.773859,-80.227991&sspn=0.001068,0.001824&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=19

Best,
Chris

I agree with meeting on weekends but as for the time, late afternoon would be better. If we work earlier we can get more done while there is still light out. Chris, by the time we finished it was dark, granted there are street lights which do help but minimally. Though it might sound appealing to work in a clandestine manner, which we are doing, under the cover of night, we have to take into consideration that this is a residential area.

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 11:00:23 PM »
Clandestine isn't too important I was thinking more of convenience. Also, I think your right about the residential area aspect. Civil twilight is around 8pm this time of year. I think if we set out around four or five pm we could get in around three hours of gardening before it gets too dark. If there is enough interest I think this Sunday would be good to get back to work.

Chris