Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2017, 06:50:30 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the GuerrillaGardening.org Community, a place for guerrillas and wannabe guerrillas from around the world. Enlist with a username and password to share your guerrilla gardening plans, activity and advice. Find support or just go for it solo, sow the seed and get something growing. Click here to return to the home page: www.GuerrillaGardening.org

You can also connect with people at the GuerrillaGardening.org Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/guerrillagardening

TIP: To get alerts to replies to your messages click PROFILE then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left hand side menu. There is a check box to get alerts, and a check box to see recent posts at the top.

+  guerrillagardening.org
|-+  Regional Boards
| |-+  Republic of Ireland
| | |-+  Seed Bombs
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seed Bombs  (Read 11334 times)
Shady
Troop

« on: February 25, 2008, 11:42:24 PM »

Hello to you all...........Please Help.

I came across a book that had a recipe, as such, for Seed bombs. Of course I didn't write it down and I have since discovered I have a terrible memory.
So I'm calling on someone to give me a run down on the whole How to of seed bombs....... Also I have been searching around for info on the community gardens, is there anyone whos involved with Dolphins Barn/SCR? Is Phibsboro still going?

P*E*A*C*E
juju
Germany GGs
Troop

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:36:24 PM »

impressions from the last Rosa Rose Anti-Eviction party (in Berlin):

Samen = seeds
Kompost/ Erde = compost/ soil
Tonpulver = clay powder
Teil(e) = part(s)

* seedballs2kl.jpg (35.32 KB, 666x500 - viewed 956 times.)

* seedballs1kl.jpg (43.73 KB, 666x500 - viewed 952 times.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:38:57 PM by juju » Logged
tampopo
Ireland GGs
Troop

http://aware.ie

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 08:00:35 PM »

Shady,

yeah, I'm involved peripherally with the Dolphins Barn garden site. Go to www.dolphinsbarngarden.org  Click on SCR garden.

I don't go to the Phibsborough site. The only northside site I've been to is the Sitric Avenue one, which is very good indeed.

there are contact details on the DBG site or PM me with a contact email and I'll get you added to the group email with news and updates...

tampopo

oh, and you may get another version of seed bomb recipe on the Florida thread, maybe the three-oh-five one... Check it out.
Mergatroid
Ireland GGs
Troop

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:57:39 PM »

Article by Angie Mohr from Associatedcontent.com

Seed Bomb Step #1: Decide what type of seeds you will be planting. Make sure that you choose native flowers or trees that will survive with little intervention (i.e. hardy). Be careful to not introduce an invasive plant species into the mix that will spread and choke out natural vegetation in the area. Flower seeds that work well in a seed bomb are sunflowers, bachelor's buttons, poppies, and cosmos.

Seed Bomb Step #2: Gather your ingredients. You will need 1 part seeds, 3 parts compost, 5 parts dry red clay, and 2 parts water. If you have rivers or streams nearby with red clay, gather from there and let dry. If not, you can buy dry red clay in a pottery supply store. Make sure to use red as it contains minerals necessary to the growth of the flowers. Other types of clay are sterile.

Seed Bomb Step #3: Mix the seeds well with the compost.

Seed Bomb Step #4: Mix in the clay with the seed/compost mixture until completely blended together. At this step, you could add a few teaspoons of cayenne pepper to the mix if you think you will have problems with ants or other creatures hauling off the seeds when the seed balls start to break down. If you are adding cayenne to the mix, use gloves to do the mixing.

Seed Bomb Step #5: Add water, a bit at a time, mixing with your hands continuously. You want to get the mixture to almost bread dough consistency but not wet and sticky.

Seed Bomb Step #6: Form the seed bombs. Pinch off a marble size piece of the mixture and roll between your hands until rounded and outer shell is smooth and has no cracks. This will protect the seed bomb from predators until germination. Continue to make seed bombs until all mixture is used up.

Seed Bomb Step #7: Lay seed bombs in sun to dry. Continue drying for 24 hours until clay is hard and set.

Your seed bombs are ready to deploy. If you are covering a large area, disperse them about one per square foot. In smaller areas, group 5 or 6 seed bombs to get a more lush look. Don't worry about how the flowers will end up being arranged. Nature will decide which of your seeds will flourish best in that spot. At the end of the first growing season, birds and other creatures will disperse the seeds from the first year flowers elsewhere, and the growing cycle will begin again.

Making seed bombs is a great activity for children or community groups to carry out. Have fun and try some illicit planting soon!

Video with seed bombing demonstration:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/can-you-dig-it/throw-a-seed-bomb.php

I can't wait to try. 
tampopo
Ireland GGs
Troop

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 04:31:16 PM »

Well,

I had moderate success with the seed bombs. This was one of the better ones, unfortunately it was ripped out and thrown aside. Nasturtium.

Better luck with Nigella/love-in-a-mist

and again, a bigger one...

I imagine there will be seedlings from these and another eight or so, next year, fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:52:13 PM by tampopo » Logged
jlomas
Troop

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 08:52:18 PM »

I was looking for these "bombs" all over the internet. I will try them and will share the results!

tampopo
Ireland GGs
Troop

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 01:45:24 PM »

Cool,

I look forward to the results. Don't forget to take a 'before' and 'after' photo.

t.
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length