Free Plants

• 3 replies
Free Plants
« on: February 24, 2008, 05:10:29 AM »
Tree-0-5,

There are a couple of things that have come across my path recently that I wanted to share with the group to see if there is any interest. When we first got started I hit up a friend and nursery owner down in Homestead for ideas and possible plant donations. I didn?t get any donations but he thought the idea was noble and promised to keep me posted on opportunities to score free greenage. So last week he have me a call. 

It turns out that every year there is a plant show in Orlando. Each vendor makes displays of various plants, incorporating flowers, shrubs, trees and everything in between. After the show it is cost prohibitive to take the plants back so they are donated. The gentlemen I?m talking about is a pretty significant player in the Florida plant retail scene and could likely be connection for getting our hands on significant amount of these plants after the show. There are $100,000s worth of foliage up for grabs so this could be in theory as big or small as we wanted to make it.

We would definitely have to put our heads together to start figuring this out. It would be in September but we would probably have to make a commitment to pick up the plants prior to the show. Then there is the issue of transportation and a location in South Florida to plant.

If there are some other heads that would like to come together on this and see what we can make of it, let me know.

On another note I have 10 Live Oaks owed to me for becoming an Arbor Day Foundation member. They are going to need a home if anyone knows of a place.

Best,

Chris

Re: Free Plants
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 01:40:05 AM »
I may be interested in some or the plants. I live in the Orlando area.

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 03:24:10 AM »
This weekend is Adopt a Tree in Miami-Dade. 2 free fruit trees.

Sunday
June 8
9 am-12 noon

Green Buttonwood
Orange Geiger
Mango
Red Mulberry

Miami Dade College - North
11380 NW 27 Avenue
Bldg. 400
Miami

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 03:56:52 PM »
Alas, I'm in Broward. Oh, would just love one of the orange geigers though....If somebody has one they don't have room for, maybe I can offer something to trade, to help in the GG efforts...

girlsaylor