North London

• 66 replies
North London
« on: November 28, 2007, 12:28:06 AM »
 I recently moved into Manor House/Haringey area and looking through the forum I've noticed a lack of guerilla activity in North London. I'd like to be involved in changing that and was wondering if anyone else lives/works this side of the river and would be interested in helping? I'm on the look out for some good sites but any other ideas would be much appreciated.

If nobody replies I'll probably just start doing it anyway and will post my activities on this thread.

Keep digging...

K.

Re: North London
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 10:53:05 PM »
Hi,

I live in West Hampstead/ Kilburn area and would like to get involved... I have only just discovered guerrilla gardening so don't know how it all works but I do have a worm bin and would be happy to provide compost from that if it helps. I'll look out for some sights and let you know if I find any.

Cheers,
K.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 05:11:30 PM »
I would love to help out I live in Potters Bar and the South of the river digs can be a bit of a trek to get to.
Ali

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 06:12:24 PM »
OK guys, check out the post about Marquess road. Is anyone free on Saturday night?

K

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 01:25:20 PM »
I am free on Sat night.

I never have done any guerrilla action but willing to help and learn!

Let's catch up thi sSaturday then. Time & place?

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 11:04:31 PM »
Hi

I've seen a planter in Camden that could do with a bit of attention.. I shall try and post some pictures soon..

S.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 08:20:38 PM »
Hi,

I live in the Harringay area too and am happy to help out with any guerrilla activity that may be going on here or surrounds.

Nat

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 10:20:38 AM »
there was a patch in manor house I worked on just over a year ago but I wasn't local and the people that were couldn't keep checking and look after it, so it was completely neglected. We did plant loads of bulbs and they may even be fighting their way through now.  If you go to page two in this forum you can find the dig.

keir/nat.... is it close to you, could you check it out and adopt it? I'm happy to come back and help out with it. It was really sad to see it fall.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 10:27:54 AM »
Yes the Manor House patch was a reluctant retreat after local support withered away. It's a prime site near the bus stop and tube, easy to work on, the soil is brilliant and we most recently filled it with red tulips and some bergenia (elephant's ears). But... it, like many sites, will get little dumped on it, and without regular removals (street cleaners won't touch it), it will rapidly deteriorate and people are likely to "rescue" (or should I say "steal") plants from the mess. It would suit someone who passes regularly who can learn to love clearing the trash.. seriously it's fun, most days I need to do the same on the shrubbery I tend in the Elephant & Castle, yesterday someone had dumped a huge estate agents sign and post on it, it felt great to drag it off!

I attach a photo of the bed in Manor House taken last year after several months of neglect.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 04:36:06 AM »
Cool, do you have more specific directions?  If not I'll have a scout around.  I am more than happy to take responsibility for its upkeep.  I'll have a look at how it's doing now, maybe take some photos and post them up.  Anyone interested in coming to help let me know and I'll start organising it.  Might have some cuttings I can take from my garden, or we can plant some summer bulbs, or anything else anyone can think of.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 04:48:31 PM »
I live in East Finchley, and have been a member for a year but not been able to get involved. I know of a large planter that I pass on my way to the station that just needs some caring and attention. If there is anyone who can help it would be great.

Also I am interested in helping with any other digs, especially those up here!

Best,

Liz

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 10:43:55 AM »
For those who live around Harringay (the local area not Haringey Borough) , Keir, from this forum has started a discussion on guerrilla gardening on the local Harringay website at http://harringay.ning.com/. We would welcome your input.

Hugh

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 02:58:06 PM »
Hi,

I live in West Hampstead/ Kilburn area and would like to get involved... I have only just discovered guerrilla gardening so don't know how it all works but I do have a worm bin and would be happy to provide compost from that if it helps. I'll look out for some sights and let you know if I find any.

Cheers,
K.

I am a new member and also live in West Hampstead/Kilburn! Is it possible we already know each other?
BTW, my mini-daffs have started flowering!

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 10:43:18 AM »
Hi Kier

I live just east of Manor House, in Stamford Hill. I'd love to help out with activities in the neighbourhood!

Z
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:48:05 AM by Zanna »

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 09:53:10 AM »
I'm also keen to get involved, I have a number of sites in the Holloway Road area especially in Bennett Court (Axminster Road/Salterton Road). For other areas would need plenty of notice as not always in London. Keep digging

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 09:37:27 AM »
Hi, I live in Stoke newington and would love to get involved with anything in this area of North London.  I started as a gardener for a garden maintenance company last year so may even at times be able to get some plants/bulbs for a dig. 

i will speak to my bosses and see if it might be a possibility and then get back to everyone.  I haven't seen many places round Stoke Newington so am happy to do Manor House, Camden etc

Claire

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 11:56:02 AM »
Non-gorilla,  but gardening, in Stoke Newington/Stamford Hill area - the Nature Reserve. 

At the Activity Day next Sunday (2 March) we are going to
> > plant wild flower seeds at the bottom of East Bank.
> > We also need to do an edge clearance along East Bank
> >
> > Meet at intersection of West Bank and Dunsmure Road
> > at 10.00. All welcome

North London digs
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 10:24:12 AM »
Hi

I live in the Stamford Hill area down the road and would love to help with a dig anywhere in the north London area. I have been a GG member for over a year but have not had the chance to get involved yet.   There is a site in Hornsey, by the Tottenham Lane mini roundabout that looks thoroughly depressing, i'll take some photos and post them up.
Keep me in touch if something comes up.

cheers
Sara

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 10:53:17 AM »
Hi all, I just joined the site - I live in Holloway/Islington, would love to get involved in some activity.
I'll keep my eyes out for a possible sites. Looking forward to meeting some of you.
Annie

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 10:27:26 AM »
Hey,
I'm in Stoke Newington - I'd be really interested in doing something in the neighborhood ... or in Dalston. I also work in Kentish Town - so while I'm happy to help out with digs anywhere in London, taking care of a patch in either neighborhood would be especially great, as I've just moved (and started the job) and want to feel connected to these places!
Heather

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 02:49:02 PM »
Hi

I live in Manor House too. Not done any guerilla gardening before but would love to get involved!

Let me know when and where - if I find any sites I'll let you know.

BW

Alex

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 01:05:39 PM »
Another local non-guerilla but gardening activity - Stoke Newington/Stamford Hill/Manor House/Clapton...

Growing food!

http://www.btinternet.com/~grow.communities/get-involved.htm#join%20our%20volunteer%20work%20team

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 03:17:42 PM »
Hi there,

I have just signed up to the Guerrilla Gardening community and would be interested in finding out more and being involved in any North London activities having recently moved to Wood Green.

Cheers
Adam

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 08:43:25 AM »
Hi all

I have been a lazy guerilla gardener for about a year but I am waking up to spring and would like to get involved in any North London events that are coming up. When is the next??

Nancy

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 08:54:11 AM »
I've just moved into a flat with a garden, so am about to start gardening for the first time. I'd love to come and help on a bit of guerilla gardening, although my skills may be limited to the digging and carrying tasks!

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 06:11:38 PM »
Kensal Green is technically North West London BUT easy walk from kensal rise which is on the silverlink / overground.

the dig is planned to start at 8pm monday (28th April)

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 01:58:42 PM »
hello, I live off Camden Road/Holloway Road and would def be up for helping out with any guerilla gardening in the area... 
helsbels

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 08:21:20 AM »
I live in Hampstead/Swiss Cottage but can travel to all parts of North/North West London to get stuck in - does anyone have any ideas?

Zeb

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 03:03:02 PM »
<-Also close to Holloway Road and Kentish Town/Camden areas.  Happy to help, I'll keep my eyes open for sites.  I'm sure I saw a vacant lot towards the top of Holloway Road that I thought about seed bombing.  I'll post the location when I get back home.

Zeb

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 10:24:49 PM »
Hello
I live in Wood Green and would love to get involved. New to conventional gardening never mind guerila gardening but a fast learner. This borough does need cheering up so would love to join in.

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 04:53:46 PM »
Hi!
This is my first time on the forum and I am very new to Guerrilla Gardening too!
I live in Bounds Green  :) So next time there's something in North London I'll def try and make it! YEAH!

jax

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 09:23:10 PM »
Hello,

I live near westbourne park.  I am keen to get involved in any projects happening where my bicycle can get me too which is surprisingly far!

Jax

Suzie

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2008, 04:59:34 PM »
I'm new, near Highgate, and pretty keen. I'm a bit of a novice but a quick learner!

Suzie

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 11:00:37 AM »
their will be a formative meeting today for new guerilla's at the inspiral lounge in camden at 7pm...come along and discuss...i will have a piece of paper with guerilla gardeners written on it...

Suzie

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 06:14:19 PM »
Oh dear - I only just got this! Otherwise I would have come. I hope everything went well!

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 07:58:24 PM »
Hey Suzie

check out the Camden string, there should be news on events there soon!

Sophia

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2008, 07:02:07 PM »
Hi all, I live in the West Hampstead/Kilburn area. I'm brand new at this and I'd love to get involved in something anywhere in the general NW London vicinity!

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2008, 12:53:45 PM »
I'm new to gardening and a guerilla gardening virgin but am very keen to get involved.  I'm based in Hornsey so am up for any activity around north london.  I've just discovered this site so will have a nosey about and see if I can find out about any stuff happening soon.  Thanks

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 08:38:33 AM »
camden canal tonight!!! 7pm at the inspiral lounge!

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2008, 09:25:18 AM »
Damn I can't make tonight and am then away for 2 weeks - is this weekly?  If so I'll come along in 3 weeks time.  Thanks

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2008, 10:19:18 AM »
not definite, i think each meeting will grow out of the other at the mo...

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2008, 10:28:27 AM »
Hi,

I only just saw meeting notice too unfort - would have loved to come along, is there anything else being organised in North London soon?

Cheers
Adam

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2008, 12:40:20 PM »
Hi Hello

the Camden Dig last Wednesday went well - and I am happy to report that no plant has been vandalised or stolen, despite the fairly large number of fairly desperate characters hanging around the area. I think Richard and I and possibly Rolf are meeting again next this Wednesday for another outing - Richard? We could meet at 7 in the Inspiral Lounge or outside it again. More plants would still be needed, I can bring a couple more from my garden. Anything hardy is good. I took photos but have not transferred them to the computer yet.

Best

Sophia

Re: North London - Metropolitan Meadows
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »
Hope I get this right as I have just joined up, logged in and now posting.  Hello to you all.  Been observing guerrillas for a while and feel we must be half bonkers, half genius to pursue all these worthwhile activities.

I have one of my own that I hope will attract interest.  I live in Kentish Town (West) adjacent to a Council Estate which is full of lovely people but surrounded by some of the dreariest green spaces imaginable. No one sits on them, ball games prohibited etc.  There is alot of space here and bags of potential.

The project, named Metropolitan Meadows, is in an early'ish stage but what I want to do is turn some of these areas to meadow for all the community to enjoy - it is central to the idea that the local residents particpate as fully as they want to.  So this isn't a 'swoop in' it is a long term project but I am opening this thread now since I know at some point I am going to need muscle power and/or brains to help convert the spaces.

I have a Nature Conservation Officer who I already know from from the Adelaide Road Nature Reserve coming along  this week to recce the area with me.  He is then going to help me link up with the right people at Camden Council to get permission to 'appropriate' the land for residents use and enjoyment. I believe a fellow guerrilla in Islington has done something similar already.

I have my eye on about five areas that total approximately 2000 sq metres. My aim is to sow for Autumn and I have alot to do between now and then.  I have to get the local residents on side, pass my detailed proposals to Camden and my local Councillors and then get on with the work.

Does this idea float anyone's boat?  I am an ace organiser with a very relaxed approach and I am determined to see this through.

Any support on meadow management, the actual groundwork and then future maintenance would be very much appreciated.  The potential is huge as I would love to go on and develop further areas setting a precedent for other areas to follow.

There are lots of kids round here who may not even know what a meadow is, let alone what one looks like. It would be so much better than the grass there at the moment which just manages to push up a three week growth of daises before the whole lot is sheared off by municipal mower maniacs who don't seem to know anything at all about plants.  I would so hope to attract all the wildlife that such a project would bring.

Thoughts, offers of suppport or heckles of 'you lunatic it will never work' are all welcome and thanks if you have read this all the way through.

Angela

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2008, 09:28:28 AM »
hiya...this wednesday we'll be meeting up at the inspiral lounge to plant a few more things down by the canal..last week went well and the plants were still there after a few days!!!

7 at the inspiral lounge (camden lock)

everyone welcome!

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2008, 11:28:15 AM »
Hi I live on Clapton Common and have been GG'ing by sowing seeds of wild flowers on the common in places that are out of reach of the lawn mowers.
I've also planted a few plants by the brige crossing the river in Springfield park which are doing well

I'd like to get involved in any plans that you may have

sam

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2008, 05:18:10 PM »
I live in North London, near Finsbury Park.

Would love to help.

Has somone organised a meet?

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2008, 09:04:44 AM »
theres a meet up on wednesdays at the inspiral lounge in camden...i also live in finsbury park...is there anywhere near there you were thinking of gardening???

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2008, 04:10:59 PM »
Hello Guerrilla Gardeners,

I'm looking for fellow guerrillas, sites and plants for NW10 (Harlesden/Stonebridge/Willesden/Queens Park) area.

I'm an urban design student, interested in small-scale community based regenaration. I only found GG recently and thought it would be a great initiative to start in Harlesden, an area sadly known for it's derelict estates and gun crime.

Would anyone be up for joining me transforming a piece of this unloved part of NW London??!

Re: North London - Metropolitan Meadows
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2008, 04:18:03 PM »
Hey Angela,

Your post totally floats my boat. It sounds like your wanting to do somehting similar to me, just in K Town, as opposed to Harlesden.

I'd be happy to help out in any way I can - and I'd really like to get somethin going in Harlesden too. Community involvment and small scale change is my area of interest in Urban Design. Although I don't have any expert gardening knowledge I would be happy to get involved in some of the general stuff that might need doing on what seems a big project!

Give me a shout.

Rumi