Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 02:02:09 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the GuerrillaGardening.org Community, a place for guerrillas and wannabe guerrillas from around the world. Enlist with a username and password to share your guerrilla gardening plans, activity and advice. Find support or just go for it solo, sow the seed and get something growing. Click here to return to the home page: www.GuerrillaGardening.org

You can also connect with people at the GuerrillaGardening.org Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/guerrillagardening

TIP: To get alerts to replies to your messages click PROFILE then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left hand side menu. There is a check box to get alerts, and a check box to see recent posts at the top.

+  guerrillagardening.org
|-+  Regional Boards
| |-+  UK
| | |-+  Scotland
| | | |-+  Central Scotland
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Central Scotland  (Read 21240 times)
Nativetreeplanter
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« on: November 23, 2007, 08:22:28 PM »

Hi,

New member so have missed recent threads...

Available in Fife, possibly further afield. I have a native tree nursery and have been doing Guerrilla planting of Oak etc for several years. Bloody hard work on your own! One planting project I am continually plugging away at in Fife but it will take years.  Can help elsewhere & also seek help with my own work.

Cheers

Ewen Brown
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

Trench warfare is not for the true guerrilla

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 10:49:26 PM »

I'm in Glasgow and would like to help in some way. First thing is to get some connections in Scotland. There are a few messages here but from earlier in the year. Where do you plant in Fife?

I have been looking at spots in Glasgow for a while now but haven't made a move yet, obviously needing to get myself organised with a possible small group. Many hands make light work as you know.

Anway, I'm interested in learning more about your project in Fife, somewhere I feel there is a distinct lack of trees.

Lets try to start the ball rolling with some discussion to start with.

All the best, Ewen
Nativetreeplanter
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 05:07:51 PM »

Just to stress, happy to help with other projects in Scotland not just my own.

My own planting is mainly in the Dunfermline area. I am trying to start a new wood on waste ground near my house and also to create a patchwork of native trees in other surrounding areas and the estate I live in, with a TINY bit of Council Backing.
I have done a number of "official" plants of native trees in my area too, using trees from my nursery, which is mainly Sessile Oak but includes elements of Ash, Alder, Birch, Rowan, Chestnut etc. When I plant out myself I generally plant small saplings, with cut plastic drinks bottles used as protection. This is much easier working by myself than planting larger trees but the losses are greater. Oak grows so slowly too!

tampopo
Ireland GGs
Troop

http://aware.ie

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 07:58:25 PM »

Hello, I'm in Dublin. I have loads, well, several chestnuts I am ready to plant out, from 1y/o to 4-5 y/o. Are they easy to settle into the ground?

They're not tempermental or anything are they?

I have too many to store in containers in my back garden or at the side of the house. This is the time of year to get them into the ground, if you have experience of planting chestnut, how are they?

regards
t
Nativetreeplanter
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 11:59:28 AM »

Hi Tampopo,

Plant in moist ground and water thoroughly in the first couple of summers when dry....they hate dry conditions. Also weed thoroughly at the base, especially of grass, during the first couple of springs.

I'm not a great fan as they are not native. Someone gave me a load of conkers so I was obliged to grow them. The bees do like them though!

Im no great techie wizzard, by the way,  but I did know the answer to that one!

Cheers

tampopo
Ireland GGs
Troop

http://aware.ie

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 12:37:13 AM »

Thanks for that.
t
gwenaelle
Troop

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 12:07:09 PM »

Hello Hello

Am in Aberdeen and have nothing to plant nor experience, so I'd like to join someone, wherever is easy to acess, and help. I'd be willing to go down to Fife to help you if you want me to, or even to Glasgow (it's not that longer to travel) once in a while so I could learn how plants work (that is my major problem) and maybe finally start something in Aberdeen. I believe that doing guerilla gardening in groups is way much more fun/easier so please contact me if you plan on organizing something!

(email: gwenaelle 147 @ yahoo . ca )
themadscotsman
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 04:50:35 PM »

I Edinburgh but can mobilise to most places Cheesy

Unfortunately work at the moment means on evenings and weekends available Sad
Nativetreeplanter
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 05:01:55 PM »

Thanks Mad,

If the others agree, we will see how many we get in the next week or two...then firm up a location and time...

Cheers
Nativetreeplanter
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 11:05:30 AM »

Ok I know its xmas and everyone is too busy at the moment....

I am going to keep pottering away at my own various projects over the winter and will upload some photos in the spring when things are a bit leafier...

In the meantime , my offer to help out at other projects anyone has on the go very much stands...

Cheers
highasakite
Troop

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 06:39:37 PM »

Hey There!

We are starting an Edinburgh GG group! Come along to the Forest cafe next Monday (14th) at 5pm in the Action room upstairs. It's going to be beautiful Smiley

Rosy xx
Nativetreeplanter
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 08:04:06 PM »

Hi,

Very interested in helping but this date/time for the meeting is at too short notice and too early in the evening for me as I'm at work then...and not in Edinburgh!

Give me good advance notice of any agreed digs and I will do all I can to help.

Cheers
Ray
Troop

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 01:03:24 AM »

Whee, first post!

Guerrilla newbie here in west of Glasgow and I'd really love to make it to the forest cafe but unfortunately I can't on that day! Is there any way to be kept up to date with whats going on if there is going to be a new GG group in Edinburgh?

Dying to start greening the place up a bit.
Ray.
Dr Wilson
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

DR SEEDBOM

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 08:15:25 PM »

Hello everybody,

New guerrilla hoping to get things going and growing in Glasgow beginning this year, spring hopefully. I am a designer working on a idea that uses recycled materials, flower seeds etc so just making my self known and wondering if there are still people around who would be interested in getting something started and hopefully we can find some advice, funding etc if we get enough people interested. There is a lot of potential out there.

All the best

Darren

D Wilson aka DR SEEDBOM
Kabloom
studio@kabloom.co.uk
www.kabloom.co.uk
Ray
Troop

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 12:16:43 AM »

Hiya Darren,

Count me in, I'm dying to get working on some gg projects here in Glasgow!
Where abouts are you thinking of starting some work?

Ray.
Dr Wilson
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

DR SEEDBOM

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 05:34:09 PM »

Hey Ray,

Good to here you are interested, not sure where to begin really and don't have much equipment yet but keep in touch and any ideas you have please let me know. There must be loads of places around in need of some gg, I live south side and I can think of a few place here and I'm sure there are places in the west end and everywhere else for that matter. like I say keep in touch and maybe within the next couple of months we can get started with the help of anybody else who might be out there.

Dar

D Wilson aka DR SEEDBOM
Kabloom
studio@kabloom.co.uk
www.kabloom.co.uk
Ray
Troop

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 02:12:18 AM »

Yeah me too to be honest, I feel like I'm dying to get stuff done but I dont know what to do and where, and how to afford it and such.

I'll have a think and see what I can come up with, and hopefully we will gain some intrest and other folk wanting to get involved.

Ray.
Nativetreeplanter
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 09:54:46 PM »

Ok, there seems to be a lot of whistling in the wind on the Scotland board!

I'm out planting almost every weekend and will be out next Saturday. I'm easy what time though, so anybody interested drop me a message.

Again, I'm more than happy to help with other projects on the go though...

Cheers,
NTP

Dr Wilson
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

DR SEEDBOM

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 08:35:31 PM »

I agree NTP,

I'm still interested in getting involved, busy next couple of weeks but would be great to meet up mid march. Let me know your plans.

Cheers

Dar

D Wilson aka DR SEEDBOM
Kabloom
studio@kabloom.co.uk
www.kabloom.co.uk
gecko
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 09:18:06 PM »

hey there
i've just discovered the joy that this lovely activity exists and would love to get involved - already got the brain churning with ideas.
not a familiar gardener but full of enthusiasm and creativity.
let me know about any edinburgh actions
gecko
Green_Ghost
Troop

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »

Hi To everyone

I've watched the forum for a little while, and I think perhaps what we need to each do is come back with one site each and one date to act. In terms of Logistics, do people need seed, plants, tools or transport to enact their one site? I have my eye on The Mungal head bing in the Bainsford area of Falkirk - its a real mess and a centre for illegal dumping - listed as derelict land - and I'm going to hit it with as much wild flower seed as I can get my hands on. Provisionally Saturday 12th April, but if anyone wants to be part of this I can change the date.

Any Takers?....

Ciao for now - GG
LOVESPLANTS
Troop

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 10:05:40 PM »

Hi, I'm new to this sort of thing but I'm happy to help out tho' I can't really travel very far from the southside of Glasgow. I've several packets of mixed seeds if anyone wants them - that's a start anyway maybe?
Nativetreeplanter
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 08:15:09 AM »

Hi Green Ghost, count me in. Can bring some seeds and say, a number of Horse Chestnut if there is a suitable perimeter area to plant them in? Let me know what you need.
If trees required, noon to early afternoon would be best on 12th as I would have to  dig them up at the nursery in the morning.

Need directions too...Fifers don't normally travel to Falkirk unless they have to!

NTP
Dr Wilson
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

DR SEEDBOM

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 02:53:54 PM »

Hey everyone,

Can't make it out to Falkirk unfortunately but in reply to LOVESPLANTS I too live in Glasgow's Southside and could meet up some time and have a go at a site we both know, any suggestions? I was thinking of the pathway that leads from my area of Langside/Battlefield along the river Cart to Shawlands, its a mess and is frequently used by pedestrians. I am very busy at the moment but I'm sure we can get started soon, I have most of the things we might need and plenty of seeds. Anyone else interested in coming through to Glasgow this month or next during a weekend?

D Wilson aka DR SEEDBOM
Kabloom
studio@kabloom.co.uk
www.kabloom.co.uk
Nativetreeplanter
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »

Two pics of unkempt council shrubberies near my house, given a make over, (shrubs cut back and shaped / Rowan & Birch planted / Bulbs planted, not all out yet). More pics to follow. The Council has agreed not to cut the trees down as long as I look after them.

* SP_A0101a.jpg (18.66 KB, 320x240 - viewed 1041 times.)

* SP_A0106a.jpg (17.97 KB, 320x240 - viewed 1037 times.)
Nativetreeplanter
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2008, 09:32:50 PM »

Two trees planted last year at New Woods Project, a Horse Chestnut and a Sessile Oak. Ive  planted over one hundred trees now at these two locations. Sorry about the quality...not got the hang of the resizing etc yet.

* SP_A0123.jpg (98.28 KB, 320x240 - viewed 1008 times.)
Nativetreeplanter
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2008, 09:37:51 PM »

Ooops...here's the other one...

* SP_A0125.jpg (115.63 KB, 320x240 - viewed 1032 times.)
binsweeper
Troop

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 01:16:14 PM »

Hi There,
I wondered if there is still a group of people guerilla gardening in Edinburgh?!!?  I saw there was talk of a meeting, but not sure what happened after.  I would be keen to get involved if anyone knows what people are up to??

Caroline
spook
Troop

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 04:34:23 PM »

Whare about in fife? would be intrested!
Nativetreeplanter
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 09:31:37 PM »

I'm in Dunfermline. Most my projects are in Dunfy area and West Lothian. Happy to travel if others get something going.

NTP
spook
Troop

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 12:37:55 AM »

Sweet nativetreeplanter!...your just up the road from me,dose anyone have an intrest in dumpster diving ?
Demi
Troop

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 02:06:34 PM »

Hope I don't upset anyone by me bumping this thread.

New here, Based in Airdrie, can travel to coatbridge and a good bit of Glasgow, and would like to join a troop. Not much in the way of seeds (normally a veghead at home!) but plenty of energy. I can do evenings and some weekends.

Also, I would be happy to joing anyone in airdrie/coatbridge with an interest in dumpster diving, haven't done much of it beyond raiding skips for bricks and wood, but would like to expand to cover other fields Smiley

Does anyone do guerrilla vegging, or am I just being stupid?
Clairwil
Troop

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 04:45:20 PM »

If you're prepared to Travel to central Glasgow We'll be installing a veggie patch on our massive site at Townhead as soon as we get the ground cleared.

We'll be meeting on 05/05/08 at 6:30pm this week and later in the month.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 09:13:21 PM by Clairwil » Logged
wattsie
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2008, 08:53:57 AM »

Hello

I've just signed up and have never done GG before but have plenty of gardening experience / tools from my own garden/veggie patch.

I see there was some talk of gardening in Falkirk.

I live in Falkirk too and would love to do something, please get in touch if there is anything happening
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length