Community Gardening Insight

• 1 replies
Community Gardening Insight
« on: September 18, 2019, 05:30:36 AM »
Hello,

I'm trying to create good "content" for people that like community gardening.

If you wouldn't mind, for those of you who do community gardening, would you mind answering some or all of the following questions?

Why do you like gardening in general?

What do you like most about community gardening?

What problems do you encounter (in general) or with your tools while doing community gardening?

What do you dislike about community gardening?

Thanks!

Re: Community Gardening Insight
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 01:43:24 PM »
I worked in a community garden for a season, so I'll try to answer some of your questions.
First, it was a collective garden, so everybody worked together on the whole garden and got weekly vegetable boxes in exchange.
This made the whole thing more fun, because it created a sense of community, it wasn't just a place where a bunch of strangers had a little plot of land to themselves, it was a group effort.

Also, it helped that the garden has an experienced head gardener and two employees that guided the groups of participants and helped plan the garden well every years.

The best part about this king of community garden is that everybody had something to teach the others and something to learn. It wasn't a relationship of student and teacher, but more of an equal one.
The worst thing was the lack of control. The decisions came to the head gardener in the end, so if he set in his ways, it was hard to try any kind of innovation.

For example, there was a small 'permaculture' section in the garden, but the head gardener clearly didn't understand anything about it, because it was just a raised bed with a few fruit trees where he would plant something else under, like squash for example. I tried for a year to get permission to add any kind of nitrogen fixing plant, even brought the plants myself, but he refused  any proposition.