Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2018, 04:20:22 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the GuerrillaGardening.org Community, a place for guerrillas and wannabe guerrillas from around the world. Enlist with a username and password to share your guerrilla gardening plans, activity and advice. Find support or just go for it solo, sow the seed and get something growing. Click here to return to the home page: www.GuerrillaGardening.org

You can also connect with people at the GuerrillaGardening.org Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/guerrillagardening

TIP: To get alerts to replies to your messages click PROFILE then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left hand side menu. There is a check box to get alerts, and a check box to see recent posts at the top.

+  guerrillagardening.org
|-+  Regional Boards
| |-+  Global Forum
| | |-+  Biodomes - Glass Geodesic Domes
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Biodomes - Glass Geodesic Domes  (Read 930 times)
Remi
Troop

« on: January 30, 2017, 07:20:38 PM »

Hi there,
My name is Remi and i build glass and metal geodesic domes.
I'll post a few pictures with my first dome :

For the people that haven't heard much about geodesic domes, here are a few fun facts :

1. Domes are the strongest human shelter ever conceived. The even distribution of weight is how domes efficiently distribute stress along the entire structure.
2. They are the world's highest earthquake resistant structures. And they don't require any interior load bearing walls.
3. Domes are aerodynamic. They can withstand hurricane winds of even 320 km/h.
4. Domes are the most efficient structures known to man, covering the most living area with the least amount of surface area.
5. Because of the high volume-to-surface-area ratio domes have at least 30% less surface area than other shaped buildings. That means it takes at least 30% less energy to heat or cool them.
6. The spherical design results in highly efficient and effective air circulation. The ambient airflow inside the dome is continuous, with no stagnant corners, requiring less energy to circulate air and maintain even temperatures.
7. They mirror the suns path thus maximizing solar gain all day, all year.
8. Some of the largest buildings in the world are domes; London?s millennium dome and the Eden domes were record breakers when they were built. The Miyazaki Ocean Dome in Japan is known as the world's largest indoor water park (300m-100m-38m).
9. Domes use much less materials than conventional buildings and still outperform them in structural tests.
10. The larger the dome, the more efficient it becomes. This is demonstrated by doubling the diameter, which encloses eight times the volume.

I don't know if i'm allowed to post my website link, but if it's possible i would love to share more details, moderators please let me know.

Any feedback would be great!
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length