Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2018, 12:16:52 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the GuerrillaGardening.org Community, a place for guerrillas and wannabe guerrillas from around the world. Enlist with a username and password to share your guerrilla gardening plans, activity and advice. Find support or just go for it solo, sow the seed and get something growing. Click here to return to the home page: www.GuerrillaGardening.org

You can also connect with people at the GuerrillaGardening.org Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/guerrillagardening

TIP: To get alerts to replies to your messages click PROFILE then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left hand side menu. There is a check box to get alerts, and a check box to see recent posts at the top.

+  guerrillagardening.org
|-+  Regional Boards
| |-+  Global Forum
| | |-+  planting around street trees - new project
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: planting around street trees - new project  (Read 2488 times)
Annaj
Troop

« on: October 07, 2014, 09:27:26 PM »

Hi,
I am starting a street wide gardening project to plant under plane trees in London.

I would like to put a small wooden border around the trees so we can add good soil without it washing away. The earth under the trees is currently rock hard sand and gravelly soil. If we put a wooden border up, it would interfere with car doors opening by the curb. I am also wondering how soil might damage the base of the plane trees, even though it will be very low level. A link to good plant choices would also be great.

Any help or thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

Anna
Scrubby Hummock
Troop

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 06:14:33 PM »

Just make sure the new soil/compost isn't touching the tree base or it could cause it to rot. Leave a gap around the trunk and it should be okay.
melgibson
Troop

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 06:03:03 AM »

Good luck for your new gardening project.Recently I have shifted in denver and purchased a house . I love gardens  and  redesigned the structure of garden from remodeling denver . In my garden I have planted a variety of plants. For plantation one of the biggest culprits behind trees that fail to grow is the type of soil being used. The wrong soil can weak  plants and may prevent them from getting the moisture, nutrients and sunlight they need to thrive. While the majority of soils are made up of clay, silt and sand, the ratio of these materials can greatly impact the properties of the soil.So take care about the soil you are using and ratio is the most important thing .
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length