Kansas City Metro Area

• 3 replies
Kansas City Metro Area
« on: September 04, 2006, 04:12:29 PM »
Haven't seen any activity in the KC Metro area up to this point, though I gather there are others in the area registered with GG.

So here's the first posting!

I work at the Sprint campus, which is surrounded by native prairie plantings...mostly grasses with a few wild flowers which you'd never notice unless you were standing next to them.  Often times while leaving for home I'd notice the somewhat bare areas on the 119th street side.  I had Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly weed), Epatorium (Joe Pye weed) and native white Achillea (Yarrow) going to seed.  These are good native plants for this area, and in fact I've seen Asclepias planted elsewhere on the campus.

So before getting to work early Sept. 1, 6 AM-ish, I took the seeds I'd gathered and scattered them around the area.  Not much in the way of digging - would have been too obvious, and there was traffic already that early.  With the bit of rain we got this weekend hopefully they'll settle in and we'll have some flowers, 2 - 5 foot high in the next 2 to 3 years.  A bit more interesting than bare dirt!

Interested to hear from others in the area and what else is going on!

Re: Kansas City Metro Area
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 09:07:37 PM »
I live in Washington state but have a house in Lost Springs KS and genealogy ties with Olathe.
I LOVE KANSAS!

I wish the old Elm trees could be replaced in the old part of Olathe. my grandmother who grew up there in the early1900's said that they were so big that they came together in the middle of the street and no matter how hot the day, the shade was so cool. She lived near Pike and Pine.

When we visit lOST SPRINGS I do a few snipe raids to help improve the area. My specialty is planting large trees but have been known to spread seed or stick just about anything in the ground. I also trim to help tree shape and remove dead branch's. I usually wear a hard hat and vest to look official and find that I can work in broad daylight with no questions asked. 8)

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 09:30:03 PM »
Hello I'm from Kansas, lived here my whole life and this city is about to be lit up with flowers in the next coming years :)

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 02:20:22 AM »
I used to work on the campus too, but I got laid off.  TWICE.  Are you still working in the area?  Last time I was out there, the campus was looking kind of shabby.