Chicago post and pics

• 3 replies
Chicago post and pics
« on: September 21, 2006, 05:21:48 PM »
Date: August 28th
Budget: approx $50 US
My wife and I spotted this neglected planter, located just a few blocks from where we live in Wicker Park, while on a run. It’s in front of a Convalescent home. So I rounded up some friends, bought 150 or so pounds of soil (the planter only had three or so inches of soil in it) and some assorted perennials (on sale) at Home Depot. (Troop member Matt also told a local plant store up in Lincoln Park what we were up to and they donated a few plants, including some fine decorative grasses, to the cause.) Our team started gardening just before 10 pm, and made short work of the planter. We planted four sprawling juniper bushes, variegated feather grasses, a flowering potentilla, and a half dozen other perennials that, if there tags didn't lie, could withstand temperatures as low as -40 F. Which is good, cause it gets pretty darn cold here in the winter. At one point, an employee of the home came out for a smoke break, asked a few disinterested questions, and thanked us for doing what we were doing. “That’s cool!” she said. My only regret: Next time I’ll bring more soil. 150 pounds seems like a lot, but it goes fast.

more pics
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 05:23:07 PM »
more pics!

more pics
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 05:24:11 PM »
more pics

more pics
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 05:25:39 PM »
more pics