Is it ok to destroy city lawn areas?

• 5 replies
Is it ok to destroy city lawn areas?
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:59:04 AM »
Hello guys, i have a bit of a moral problem. I live in a small city in greece without any green areas. The wise ppl of the state have decided any green patio available to be sawn with lawn.As this for a water sensitive country is wrong but it is an easy and not so costly solution, the city is full of little lawn patios maybe with a shrub or tree palnted in the middle. I really want to destroy the lawn so far iam trying to do it with herbs seeds(thyme mostly). But is it wrong from me to do it? Is Guerrilla gardening about changing existing planted areas or it applies only to empty lands? Please any feedback would be very helpfull.

Scoresby

Re: Is it ok to destroy city lawn areas?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:20:49 PM »
Guerilla gardening isn't only about empty lands, but "taking over" an existing planted area might be contra-productive if the owner or caretaker takes offence (which could happen if you start digging flowerbeds or a vegetable patch on a lawn) and start destroying what you've planted.

However, I think lawns are pretty useless in many cases! You have my moral support! Maybe one good way would be to go big, gather a bunch of people and start digging on a larger scale to open up a debate? Make sure media hears about your project if you do! Also, whis website might be useful: http://www.foodnotlawns.com/

Scoresby

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 04:26:40 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask: Are you sowing seeds directly into the lawn? Because they will run everything over with a lawnmower, and your seedlings will die. Or did I misunderstand you?  :)

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 05:56:16 PM »
yes ! good luck and as mentioned always be aware of mow patterns!

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 06:45:55 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask: Are you sowing seeds directly into the lawn? Because they will run everything over with a lawnmower, and your seedlings will die. Or did I misunderstand you?  :)

i plant seeds the season that i know the city cannot afford gardeners, this gives a margin for the palnt to grow and when the finnaly start mowing the lawn thay actually mown around the palnts. i really find lawns uselless. i know about about the grow food not lawn site it was actually my inspiration for that

Scoresby

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 11:02:29 AM »
That's nice of them  ;D