Carrboro guerrilla gardening protest

• 1 replies
Carrboro guerrilla gardening protest
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:03:56 AM »
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/orangechat/demonstrators-plan-guerilla-gardening-project-on-proposed-carrboro-cvs-site

Demonstrators plan "guerilla gardening" project on proposed Carrboro CVS site
Submitted by mschultz on 02/07/2012 - 11:33

Tags: OrangeChat | Carrboro Commune | CVS | Occupy Chapel Hill-Carrboro
A group of demonstrators that briefly occupied a building at 201 N. Greensboro St. Saturday say they'll plant a garden on the property to protest a CVS store planned for the site.
The group called Carrboro Commune includes members of the local anarchist community and Occupy Chapel Hill-Carrboro movements. On Monday, Occupy said it did not endorse the building takeover, which ended when police ordered the demonstrators out or said they would arrest them. (Read that story here.)
On Sunday, demonstrators huddled in the cold outside the building and decided to plant the garden as the next step in their protest against the 24-hour drug store, which would replace the CVS across the street in the Carr Mill Mall shopping center. They plan to announce the "guerilla gardening" project at a meeting with developers at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Town Hall.  The developers plan to present the latest version of their plans for the store at the meeting.
?Local residents have repeatedly expressed that the site should serve some kind of community interest rather than corporate profits... [Yet] the channels at Town Hall offer no meaningful way for affected community members to determine what should be here," the Carrboro Commune said in a release this morning.  "The Carrboro Commune, an open affiliation of community members concerned about the corporate domination of public space, will collaborate with other local organizations to transform the unused lot at 201 Greensboro Street into a vibrant garden providing edible, medicinal, and beautiful plants for the general public."
The group has invited the public to join it for a garden work day March 17.

Read more here: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/orangechat/demonstrators-plan-guerilla-gardening-project-on-proposed-carrboro-cvs-site#storylink=cpy

Re: Carrboro guerrilla gardening protest
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:15:12 AM »
Any representation in the Asheville area?  I was a member in 2009 but illness prevented my participation the last couple of years.  I now have a gift certificate for native plants which i would be happy to donate to a group in WNC.  If there are none. Then another group.  Thanks!

Charlotte E Lackey
Asheville, NC
shortia@frontier.com