A new idea

• 5 replies
A new idea
« on: November 08, 2011, 01:58:00 AM »
So far I've been experiencing low success rates due to thieves and vandals or random people who pull them out be they think they're weeds. So I've got this idea of using psychology to help improve my success rates. My plants usually start off small and home grown. This idea of playing on peoples minds has occurred to me because I've noticed that many of my losses are due to psychological factors. I could post signs with messages but this  would be too bold, I thought for a start I could use bamboo stakes to give and indication that I'm trying to grow something.

If you have any suggestions then I'll greatly appreciated it. Do any of you people on here experience similar problems? I mostly start with small plants and do things bit by bit.

Re: A new idea
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »
Hi urbanplanter, where I do do it I generally find the opposite true, the ones that have been grown from seed or planted out from seedlings have lasted longer, but I suppose different areas have different circumstances & with it different problems
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans
Agent Wild Pansy of the Lavender Movement Guerrilla Gardening the West Midlands

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:04:55 PM »
Hi urbanplanter, where I do do it I generally find the opposite true, the ones that have been grown from seed or planted out from seedlings have lasted longer, but I suppose different areas have different circumstances & with it different problems
Well I'm from Australia and it seems that in England it a really big thing but in Australia not so much although I've seen what looks like many cases of GG. I generally start with small plants that are drought hardy and fast growing. I was thinking of placing bamboo stakes to make people more conscious and tie them to stake with string to make them more of an inconvenience to remove. In more secluded closed off areas I might post informative signs. Train stations seem too prone to vandalism. Psychology might be key in my case as many losses are a result of it and along with my successes with aprrox. 10 counted so far.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 09:18:18 AM »
perhaps making a sign to say what they are might help too, people are less inclined then to grub them out or plant them with a sign in memory of....................... or for planted for World AIDS Day or something, people are less likely to remove something if it means something.
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans
Agent Wild Pansy of the Lavender Movement Guerrilla Gardening the West Midlands

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 11:44:15 PM »
Good advice

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 10:44:14 PM »
wondering if the signs helped any i have been having simmilar problems with vandals...