2011 Project Planner

• 10 replies
2011 Project Planner
« on: August 14, 2010, 10:11:46 PM »
Since we're all scattered around the city and it seems that most of us aren't quite sure where to start, I'd like to centralize plans so that we all know what's going on where, when, and who's involved. I figured that since we don't have long before winter now and none of us seem good with quick planning, a 2011 thread would give us time to plan things out and prepare so that we can do some great work next year!

I can't handle projects this fall for several reasons but my goal is to start in the early spring with some neighborhood improvement. Some of my projects are going to be solo (like planting some flowers across the street at the local school) but I hope that I can get a few of you to come out and help with some bigger ideas (there are vacant lots all over, but this is not the best area and a being a lone girl at night isn't the best idea, even if I'm armed with a shovel!).

So here's the deal: The 2nd post here will be an Event Calendar. You post or message me the date, time, address, and any relevant info (what you'll provide, what you want or need help with). I'll add it to the post so that it's all on top for easy reference. I'll also try to keep a running list of who's coming to events. I don't expect everything to work perfectly smoothly and canceling events is ok (but let us know in advance, if you can!)... I just hope that if we all have one place to go for event planning and plenty of warning to write it on our calendars we can make more of a difference!

Re: 2011 Project Planner
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:25:22 PM »
The Calendar
(Sorted by date)

Spring (after last frost) 2011: Block Clean-up, seedbombing.
When: Early evening (4-6pm?).
Where: GardenFae's home/block, Perrysville Avenue near N. Charles Street.
What: Seedbombing of native flowers along sidewalks and hillsides on Perrysville Ave. Trash pick-up and sidewalk clearing (there is a HUGE patch of some kind of thistles (the kind with the round burrs that stick to everything!) clotting an entire chunk of sidewalk this summer, and I expect they'll be back next year!).
Bring: Thick gloves for handling brush and trash, your favorite seed bombs, a good healthy dose of respect for the law (patrols are very active here and I expect they'll question our motives, although I do not forsee any actual trouble once they realize we're not breaking any laws and we won't be out late)
Notes: Sticking to the sidewalks this time. You can seedbomb lots from the sidwalk, but no "trespassing" even if it's an abandoned lot! First impressions are everything and I want the local police to feel comfortable with us before we (I) go jumping any of the chain-link fences around here!

You can use the form below to fill in your calendar submissions.
When:
Where:
What:
Bring:
Notes:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:30:57 PM by GardenFae »

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 03:48:19 PM »
Is this still going on?  I would love to help out with this.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 03:22:22 AM »
It is! I haven't set a solid date yet, unfortunately. I have to review my calendar, check the expected last frost date and get my schedule - they only schedule me 2 weeks in advance at this job and I never know what my days off will be! I'd like more interest, but hey - I'll gladly meet anyone who's willing to come up here and help out. The neighborhood has a day care being worked on and they've cleaned up 2 lots along the street which were a real eyesore; it'd be nice if a couple more got cleaned as well!

There are a few lots that are either for sale or vacant along Perrysville here; I figure any seedbombing we can do in those yards would be great! Even if they don't get mowed all summer at least there will be flowers among the grass. :) Mostly this will be a clean-up mission unless someone wants to bring a tire and dirt for a tire garden on the corner. :)

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 01:56:09 PM »
Hello!  I just wanted to throw my hat in too.  I'm going to attempt some secret seedings in the Slopes/Arlington area - plenty of vacant lots.  :)  I wish I had thought to put some bulbs in last fall!  I'll mark my calendar now so I don't forget this year.

Go Perrysville Prettifying Peeps!

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 05:28:35 PM »
Good to hear from you, Bri! :D

I'm thinking I'm going to set the date for the Charles St. corner cleanup for the first week in April, weather permitting. It should be warm enough on average by then that we won't freeze, and drier than March! I'll let everyone know about a week ahead of time what my final schedule is that week so we'll have a set date, and if no one else can make it I'll have a go at it by myself, and we'll try again later in the spring.

Bri, if you want help please let us know when and where to meet you and I'll add it to the calendar!

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 06:31:24 PM »
Awesome!  Just let me know when and I'll be there!  I might even be able to find a tire or two at my uncle's house.

I'd like to do something around Oakland/Squirrel Hill/Greenfield, so I'm going to scout out some spots and then hopefully we can organize something.  :D

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 03:01:23 PM »
Hello again!  This time, it's spring.

Garden Fae, let me know when you're doing your clean-up & I'd like to help.  I've never done any guerilla gardening, just guerilla garbage-collecting, so I'd like to see how it's done.  & see what sorts of seeds you're using, what you put in your bombs.... I'd be able to help April 9-10.  Then I'll probably talk my bf into doing our part of town the next weekend! 

I'll make sure to check back!  Can't wait for the sun.

>>Bri

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:02:52 PM »
Hi guys! 

I had an idea, but I'm not sure how we would go about doing it.

I was thinking that maybe we could work on the bus stop on Washington Blvd. near the police/fire stations.  I was driving past there today, and it looks like it could really use some sprucing up.  Actually, that whole stretch of road could use sprucing up, but I think that some of the spots might be a little to tight to get in there to work.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 03:47:28 PM »
Yes, nearly the whole "stretch" of my drive to work needs some love.  I think we're going to get out & litter-bust this weekend & next.  Then i'm going to hike down the road with a backpack of seeds, i guess.  like a flower girl.

I want to strategically plant sunflowers where they can act as a fence to hide some ugly overgrown-ness.  & then i'm going to see about sprinkling coneflower & black-eyed susan seeds around vacant lots.

i found a list of native flowers for our area here: http://iconservepa.org/nativeplants/nativeplantssearch.aspx

you can plug in the sun/water levels & get recommendations!  happy seeding!  :):):)

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:31:09 PM »
hiya, I'm new here.... excited to start seed bombing, woohooo!  GardenFae are you still planning this meetup?  I'd love to help out if you are!!!  :)