Environmentally Sound Seed Bombs??

• 9 replies

RagTrade

• Resistance is Fertile!
    • Rag*Trade: Happy Clothing Co.
« on: July 03, 2007, 04:39:39 AM »
Greetings Everyone!
    The Miami chapter (we call ourselves "Tree-0-5", our area code is 305), is considering doing a bit of seed bombing.  But we are wondering if you know of any environmentally sound ways of doing so.  A BALLOON is by no means environmentally friendly! Has anyone used another material for this?  How did it turn out?  Any suggestions?
Thanks!
-Stephanie, Tree-0-5 :D ;D :D ;D
Feed the Green!

Re: Environmentally Sound Seed Bombs??
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 06:28:54 PM »
I agree, it's amazing that it was ever thought reasonable to use plastic and glass and how some still recommend it.  Kathryn Miller a Californian artist is perhaps the most prolific seed bomber.  Read more about her work here:
http://greenmuseum.org/content/work_index/img_id-11__prev_size-0__artist_id-3__work_id-4.html
The basic formula is native seeds + clayish soil and compost, there is no need for any container although I know two guerrillas in the UK who go to the beautiful trouble of filling empty egg shells with the ingredients!

RagTrade

• Resistance is Fertile!
    • Rag*Trade: Happy Clothing Co.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 04:37:13 AM »
Yah! This is great, I actually ended up stumbling upon this site on my research!  The pics from Miami's second dig should be up by tonight!
Feed the Green!

tampopo

• http://aware.ie
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 03:23:48 PM »
Ah I see,

I have just started to do this. I saw this message ages ago when it was first posted.

Anyway, I was making my seed bombs with some clay. It's very wet and slippy when moist, very easy to work with. But when it's dry, it's like a rock. I see here that you should mix a bit of compost with it. I'll do that and carry on so. Thanks for the tip.

tampopo

"The basic formula is native seeds + clayish soil and compost"

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 02:11:39 AM »
how about using rice as in rice paper as substitute for ballon?

fia

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 11:53:08 AM »
If you are only carrying a few, simply wrapping the compost/seed ball in some wet tissue will do. Wet newspaper  also works :)

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 09:43:25 PM »
What about putting the compst soil and seeds in tea bags? Has anyone tried that?
In Fearful day in Raging Night
With Strong Hearts full our Souls Ignite
When All Seems Lost in the War of Light
Look to the Stars Hope Burns Bright

willie wit

• /soil is analog/
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 09:32:46 AM »
I tried to start sunflowers in teabags last year to no success at all , i suspect they dry out too easily despite me watering them when they looked like they needed it .
there must be a simple origami bag/box that could be made out of rice paper type material , sown in the autumn when damper might just do it
There was a post a while ago about using the fibre based plug pots filled with soil and sealed up at the end , the very small ones are a good size and very  strong until damp.
maybe soil in teabags with a few `water retention crystals` would do the job , this material is commonly available in garden centres - it absorbs massive amounts of water and expands to hold it . :)
bB
 8)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 05:04:59 PM by buddleiabill »

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 05:08:56 PM »
This is such a fantastic movement! I'm going to start purchasing native seeds pronto and make some of these nifty bombs. Hopefully I can find some local garden centers that are willing to donate some seeds.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 09:56:45 PM »
If you want some free seeds try FREECYCLE.com in your area... just ask and you will be surprised at how many people are happy to donate :)