What to plant in summer

• 5 replies
What to plant in summer
« on: June 23, 2007, 04:35:11 PM »
Hi all. I am planning my first guerrilla gardening but I need your help to choose the right plant\flower... The spot is in south Italy and this summer is very hot (40°C). What could I plant?
thanks!
Pietro

Re: What to plant in summer
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 10:07:49 PM »
That sounds seriously hot! Where in Italy are you? I'm not a speat when it comes to Mediterranean plants (even though many of them grow better and better here in London) but I guess it all depends on whether there is any rain expected at all, how dry the soil is already, etc. My outdoor aubergines are not doing too well in this rotten weather, and even my peppers (which were thriving last year) are not very happy. Send us some of your sunshine, please!

If the ground is workable at all I'd try herbs with the most minimal water needs but even they might be difficult at this time of year (and would probably need constant watering until established). It might be better to wait until it cools down again. It's always best to ask experienced gardeners in your area... (The only people in Italy whom I know who garden are in the Florence area).

Good luck anyway! And maybe I should send you some of my melon seeds for next year -- I got an extremely nice melon from our Italian deli the other day and kept the seeds, hundreds of them, but I can't imagine I'd ever be successful with this here without a greenhouse.

Best wishes,
artichoke
(artichokes are actually great plants but it's probably the wrong time of year for planting. But it all depends on local climate -- the only information I have is on Spinosa di Albenga...)

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 09:28:27 AM »
thanks.

here is very hot and it is not raining at all. But I don't wanna wait for the cool down (it would probably be Sept) ... on the other side, it seems really hard...should i give up?

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 01:22:23 PM »
How big is the spot and in what kind of place is it? Is there any shade at all? What's the ground like -- is it really solid? And what's growing there at the moment?

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 02:47:46 PM »
well, i haven't decided the spot yet  ;D what is the best one to begin?

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 03:27:48 AM »
Pietro,

I'm new to GG, but my in-laws are originally from Sicily (Niscemi/Caltanissetta) & we've been there once... as you say... 40+ degrees.   I'd begin by asking the question what grows naturally there.   One of the things that comes to mind are grapevines... they seem to do well with very little TLC (Tender Loving Care).  NOW... I realize that they can get quite gangly & sort of take over if allowed to go free, BUT depending on how involved you want to get in the long term... you could grow it as a standard.

Simply put some kind of a stake beside it.
allow it to climb the stake (visit once or twice during the summer to remove low-growing shoots).
After a year or two, you will have a nice woody "trunk" then just allow it to grow in a bunch at the top (again, return once or twice during the summer to give it a haircut).

Other than that... what about lavender.  It's very common in the southern-european climate and quite drought tolerant (not to mention much less labour intensive than the grape standard).

Good Luck!
God Bless you!
Mike
(gardener and an Acts 2.38 guy)