Issues with vandalism-Australia

• 5 replies
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:49:09 AM »
There have been a number of occassions where I've had my plants wrecked by vandals and on other occassions I've been quite successful and no vandalism occurs. It's my understanding that some areas are more prone to vandalism than others. I've seen the work of other GGers get vandalised and that's quite depressing to see. When I see the work of others being successful this makes me feel really good.

So what are your experiences? My favourite types of projects involve native species and succulents. I feel that it's better to go for bought plants rather than ones that I've raised because there's no need to wait for them to grow. I have used ones that I've raised also and with success :).

cannonsblazing

Re: Issues with vandalism-Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 04:26:55 PM »
So far, I've never experienced any vandalism on my sites. The newest site (look at my post "A guerilla garden in Malmo" here on the Gloal Forum) is quite visible and in a fairly busy location so I'm a bit nervous it'll get hit, especially the plants we're growing along the fence. But, so far so good!  :)

We do a mix of bought plants and home grown ones. Bought ones are great for getting a site started up while waiting for the little seedlings to mature  ;D

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 11:28:04 PM »
So far, I've never experienced any vandalism on my sites. The newest site (look at my post "A guerilla garden in Malmo" here on the Gloal Forum) is quite visible and in a fairly busy location so I'm a bit nervous it'll get hit, especially the plants we're growing along the fence. But, so far so good!  :)

We do a mix of bought plants and home grown ones. Bought ones are great for getting a site started up while waiting for the little seedlings to mature  ;D
Great stuff, I was thinking of mixing bought ones with home grown ones. That way they can grow up together.

cannonsblazing

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 05:24:39 PM »
Togetherness is awsomeness  ;D

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:45:01 PM »
We have rent boys looking after the flowers planted by my group, at first they tried destroying them, then they found out what we were doing now we have a kind of love hate relationship with them. They like the outcomes of what we do but they don't like us going round there to check on the plants too often as impacts on their business for the night. But then again the Christians who go round giving them tea & biscuits annoys them too for exactly the same reason. But it is nice having unconventional body guards for the plants, even if they occasionally hurl abuse at us when they are drunk.
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans
Agent Wild Pansy of the Lavender Movement Guerrilla Gardening the West Midlands

tampopo

• http://aware.ie
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 05:29:17 PM »
So what are your experiences? My favourite types of projects involve native species and succulents. I feel that it's better to go for bought plants rather than ones that I've raised because there's no need to wait for them to grow. I have used ones that I've raised also and with success :).

Not sure if all the plants are the same, presumably they are down under.

I started off unsuccessfully with the likes of violas, petunias, busy lizzies, primulas, snap dragons (antirhinums), marigolds which were vandalised and/or stolen. So I changed tack and planted 'not-so-pretty' selfseeding perennials like honesty (ok, bienniel), nigella, wallflowers, hollyhock, and these keep coming back and are not as prone to theft....