The Lavender Movement

• 2 replies
The Lavender Movement
« on: April 16, 2011, 09:29:34 PM »
I have started up a guerrilla gardening group on Birmingham's gay scene we called it The Lavender Movement as it was used a lot in Victorian times as a euphemism, lavender weddings being a marriage of convenience for gay people, & something of the lavender about someone was a way of hinting at someone's sexuality.

So what was only an idea last year has now become a reality & I must say I have become hooked, the first time we went out we had mixed luck. We planted marigold (Callendula Officinalis) seedlings & some marigold seeds just in case they didn't take in a planter originally infested with dandelions, it also made it clear that there were some tulips in there. Then we went around the corner & up the road to a border where I did some unexpected planting as Aston Uni's multi faith centre where I'm their Pagan chaplain had some chrysanthemums & cyclamen going spare after the official opening, we started to plant them when a guy started hurling homophobic abuse at us & was threatening to punch our lights out. He eventually moved away, I calmed my troops down as I pointed out he was unlikely to do anything as there was only one of him & there was three of us, plus we had sharp pointy things in our hands. Unfortunately he turned up later & uprooted on of the chrysanthemums but it got replanted later on in the evening when we went back to see what damage he had done long after he had left. Clair replanted before I could even get to it the advantage she has of being able to drive. While she was replanting it she was complemented on how pretty the flowers looked. Unfortunately a few days later when I came back to check on them many had disappeared leaving only one badly trampled chrysanth & one cyclamen which is still going strong. A few of the marigolds have taken to their new home & hoping that the seeds will also pop up soon.

I have since planted some sweet peas & some strawberry plants, next stop hollyhocks plus our numbers have swelled to 7 members soon to be made more
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans
Agent Wild Pansy of the Lavender Movement Guerrilla Gardening the West Midlands

tampopo

• http://aware.ie
The Lavender Movement
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »
cool, all's well that ended well.

Any pics for us to look at???

Re: The Lavender Movement
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »
Not yet. Hopefully will have some ready for Birmingham Pride
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans