GG culture jamming

• 2 replies

juju

• Gartenpiraten@GrueneWelle!
GG culture jamming
« on: May 12, 2007, 09:56:54 AM »
I just found this dutch artist helmut smits guerrilla gardening - culture jamming action, where he planted a - big! - tree in front of a bill board. i love it
http://www.guerrilla-innovation.com/archives/2007/01/000565.php

Re: GG culture jamming
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 12:18:13 PM »
Hi Julia
Yes I've spoken to Hemlut about this.  He did plant a tree, but it wasn't quite as large as the one pictured (a computer simulation) and sadly it only lasted a couple of days.  I think what we can learn from Helmut is firstly that day-glo jackets are a good disguise if you want to garden in a very public place in broad daylight, but that if you are guerrilla gardening as a protest against another use of public space (that is not neglect) then the chances are you will fail and the plant becomes a martyr for your message not really gardening at all.  To be discussed perhaps.
Richard

juju

• Gartenpiraten@GrueneWelle!
Re: GG culture jamming
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 01:03:54 PM »
oh well, it was too nice to be true. i was admiring his gardening abilities to be replanting a very big tree all alone in the midst of summer with the tree still looking good afterwards... i m not suspicious enough in computer terms i guess to always think of photoshop and such...

nonetheless - even though its a pity about the sacrifice of the tree - i dont see it as a failure. honestly, we put all our plants at risk when we put them out there. i have seen many a plant die just because there wasnt a way to protect them better, but it still had to be tried. where there s guerilla there will be martyrs. it could have gone the other way where the tree would have been allowed to stay there...
and alone the fact that he documented it and it initiates discussion about it is a valid reason for the action itself in my opinion. i think its good that people that are not primarily gardeners but also artists or activists or culture jammers or whoever else adopt guerrilla gardening as a means to their ends of raising awareness to global social, environmental and political issues. and even if he didnt do it in neglected space, it was still public and he ddnt hurt much except a little bit of grass.
after all, its not just gardening, it is guerrilla gardening. since it s very anarchistic, there are many ways of interpretation.
yes, more opinions and discussion about it, please!