Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 05:04:48 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the GuerrillaGardening.org Community, a place for guerrillas and wannabe guerrillas from around the world. Enlist with a username and password to share your guerrilla gardening plans, activity and advice. Find support or just go for it solo, sow the seed and get something growing. Click here to return to the home page: www.GuerrillaGardening.org

You can also connect with people at the GuerrillaGardening.org Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/guerrillagardening

TIP: To get alerts to replies to your messages click PROFILE then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left hand side menu. There is a check box to get alerts, and a check box to see recent posts at the top.

+  guerrillagardening.org
|-+  Regional Boards
| |-+  Global Forum
| | |-+  1 May - International Sunflower Guerrilla Gardening Day
| | | |-+  May 1st, International Sunflower Guerrilla Day
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 1st, International Sunflower Guerrilla Day  (Read 44170 times)
Richard _001
Founder
Troop

« on: April 27, 2007, 11:12:13 AM »

Here's an announcement from Girasol (829), the Brussel's Farmer.

This May 1st will be the international sunflower guerrilla day.

So we are setting the meeting in Brussels this May 1st, at 1 pm, place Poelaert, Brussels (near the elevator) and will be spreading from there. Everyone is welcome with their friends and families. Just bring a little tool with you (like a pen, a stick,... ) to make little holes in the ground. We provide the seeds. We'll be gathering at the end of the afternoon for the usual drink.

If Brussels is too far for you, other cities will be visited by sunflower planters this may 1st:

For Meer, Namur and Liège (Belgium), no meeting place is set but write us and we will put you in touch with them.

In Bordeaux (France), the meeting is set at 7 pm, bar « le passage », place Saint-Michel.

Eindhoven (Netherlands) has already seen some seeds and should get some more. Same for London and Berlin. And yes, Mexco city will get some too.

(if your city isn't listed here, you are cordialy invited to add it to the list ;-) )

Visit here for more info and inspiration of previous sunflower planting:

http://brussels-farmer.blogspot.com/

Brussels-farmer
Belgium GGs
Troop

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »

Just a little update.

In Bordeaux (France), the meeting was not set for May 1st, but for yesterday evening.
They was a slight communication problem. Sorry.

They are also preparing their own blog to talk about it and will be setting a big planting day on May 8th. 15 highly motivated people will be there. You're welcome to join. (more info will come soon)

In Istanbul, someone is looking for volunteers to go plant with him. (He won't do it alone) So if you'd like to help him, contact me and I'll put you in touch.

thistlechick
USA GGs
Troop

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 03:16:22 PM »

Yay! You can count on support in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan!

EDIT added April 30th: I planted some sunflower seeds today across the street from my home on the edge of a vacant city lot. I'll post some photos in a few months when they have grown a bit =)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 04:54:47 AM by thistlechick » Logged

A weed is but an unloved flower. ~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Lyla Patel
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 06:51:47 PM »

me too!

It was a fantastic idea.

I work in the middle of an industrial estate and it is a long boring walk, often hindered by rubble, trucks and unpleasant smells. 

last tuesday |I planted sunflower seeds on the few available patches of soil. 

my work mates are very generously donating their used plastic bottles for me to fill and I'm now entertaining my journey with watering.

can't wait to see the sunflowers growing!
tampopo
Ireland GGs
Troop

http://maimultverde.ro/

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 10:31:28 PM »

Ah go on,....

spurred on by this thread, I went out today with a big screwdriver to break up the soil, and about 50 seeds. Planted every last one of them and sorry I didn't bring more. So there.

This is a good site...
tampopo
Ireland GGs
Troop

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 12:38:57 PM »

I sowed another 40-50 yesterday, and this morning planted a rose that a friend's mother had given me. So, fingers crossed.

It's due to rain heavily over the today and over the weekend so it'll help. There's no way I can water them all or feed them all or stake them all!!!!
Richard _001
Founder
Troop

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 01:16:13 PM »

Great, you'll find they don't need too much watering anyway, Girasol who has been planting sunflowers outdoors in Brussels has a plant and wait and see approach rather than lots of maintenance. 

tampopo
Ireland GGs
Troop

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 09:36:02 PM »

Richard,

ah, good. That's good to hear. Though i did grow 14 a couple of years ago. that's where I'm getting the seeds from. I looked after them intensively....

If I get a 5% success rate I'll be happy. They are in an area that has regular hmmm, antisocial behaviour, all night drinking et al. Added to that, it's not overlooked by houses at all. It's an area between two roads, behind both sets of houses.

btw.I tried entering the longitude and latitude the other day and it got bounced back. The email, that is. I'll try again next week.

T.
Chappers
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 12:36:28 PM »

I planted sunflower seeds in Falmouth on 1st May and they all sprouted, but now they seem to have been eaten!  I assume either by slugs or birds - just a tiny stalk left.  I don't know whether there is enough left for them to resprout but I will sow some more seeds in pots and transplant them when they are bigger to see if I can beat the wildlife!

Chappers
tampopo
Ireland GGs
Troop

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 12:53:10 AM »

Hello Chappers,

unfortunately those sunflowers won't resprout. They are not designed that way, like a hedge or rose etc. It's crucial to get them to the month old stage or so. They are susceptible to slug and snail damage to their fresh new growth.

Pity.

tampopo
juju
Germany GGs
Troop

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 12:08:28 PM »

here s some pictures of sprouting sunflowers in Berlin-Mitte. These are only some places and you cant really tell what it looks like around there. if any berliner or person visiting berlin is interested in seeing more of the surroundings or knowing of other places that i have planted let me know...

* sonnenblume_invalidenstr.jpg (59.27 KB, 369x276 - viewed 1537 times.)

* sonnenblume_invalidenstr_LGF.jpg (51.59 KB, 369x276 - viewed 1472 times.)

* sonnenblume_max_beer_str.jpg (76.82 KB, 369x276 - viewed 1475 times.)
Lyla Patel
United Kingdom GGs
Troop

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 11:30:16 AM »

A very sad sight on my walk to work this morning.

my baby sunflowers (about 15, 5inches high) had all been cut down!!

they were on a patch of land that had grown some extremely leafy weeds. I had removed those closest to the sunflowers, to allow them light but left a lot there for protection of the patch.

so very sad.

this morning I discovered everything had been cut. not weeded, but snipped, leaving nothing but stubs.

it was my main patch. I only have a few others. I feel they need some protection... thinking I should either tag them or erect a small fence round each.
Richard _001
Founder
Troop

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 12:55:04 AM »

This attack by a faceless enemy is heart breaking news.  The small consolation I can provide is the encouragement that comes from all those other sunflowers planted elsewhere as a communal effort both in London and around the world.  I sense a modern day urban parable coming on...

Mike LONG
Troop

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 04:43:45 AM »

Man.... I LOVE this idea!!!
*wondering if it's too late to plant some sunflower seeds in eastern Canada*

I planted a few sunnies in my garden last year and only one survived the dreaded slug onslaught (GRRR!)... BUT that one was a beauty ... one stem but about 20 blossoms.  I'll have to see if I still have any seeds kicking around in the garage.

Great Idea!!  Cheers!!

God Bless you!
Mike
(gardener and an Acts 2.38 guy)
Brussels-farmer
Belgium GGs
Troop

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 02:08:43 PM »

Hello Mike

Normally, sunflower seeds need to be planted between april and may. So the end of july is a bit too late to start. But try it anyway. It might work. The only thing is they won't grow as high as they could and the flowers will be smaller than normal. (I think, not an expert on this).

But anyway, learning by experience is fun. So tell us if it worked out or not :-)

c u
xtaros
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 02:44:48 PM »

BeDazzling Yet Captivating - Roadside SunFlowers

Westminster Bridge Road - London SE1

See at:  http://www.xtaros.smugmug.com/gallery/3105207

I'll be posting more from various London locations soon.

Regards,

Glen

http://www.xtaros.com/

======
Brussels-farmer
Belgium GGs
Troop

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 09:28:02 AM »

Hello Caitlin

Those sunflowers are beautifull... and the pictures too. :-)
I'm glad also you could report about those conversation you heard through the fence. It cheers me up :-).

I'm posting a note about it on the Brussels-farmer blog.
Thanks again for sharing.

tampopo
Ireland GGs
Troop

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 04:04:32 PM »

Lovely flowers, looked at the flickr site, nice.

My GG sunflowers are not flowering yet. I have some photos taken bit by bit, 3', 4', 5' tall and now the tallest is about 7' tall.

About 12 -15 of the hundred or sow I sowed came up, about 10 have survived till today...fingers crossed I get some flower heads.

Well done Caitlin
Brussels-farmer
Belgium GGs
Troop

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 06:49:59 PM »

Hello Caitlin

Great story. I can see that sunflowers seem to have a magic power on people. Maybe because they are big, maybe because they look like the sun, maybe because we can eat them... maybe... I don't knwo but I'm glad it works on your side too.

I hope your neighbors will plant some next year with your seeds... That would be great :-)

Can't wait to see the new pictures...

c u
Richard _001
Founder
Troop

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 06:06:41 PM »

It's time to start planning your sunflower seed planting as the 2nd International Sunflower Guerrilla Day is on May 1. I've just created a new page on the website with details and links to lots of inspiration from last year's sunflower guerrilla gardening.

http://www.guerrillagardening.org/ggsunflower.html

* May1.jpg (73.7 KB, 727x53 - viewed 1200 times.)

Richard _001
Founder
Troop

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 02:09:03 PM »

I've got packets of free sunflower seeds (of the "Russian Giant" variety which grow up to 3m tall) that have been made to be given away with my forthcoming book "On Guerrilla Gardening" (http://www.onguerrillagardening.com). If you're passing near SE1 let me know or on if you're coming along to a dig in London I'll keep some in my pocket to hand out ready for use on May 1.

miss41
Troop

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 02:29:37 PM »

I've got a question about sunflower seeds.
I've got some seeds at home, but very old ones, maybe more than 10 years old ( my granmother kept them to feed the birds) .
 Do you think I can plant them? ?

That's just the way it is, some things will never change....
That's just the way it is, but don't believe it !
Richard _001
Founder
Troop

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 02:36:05 PM »

My hunch would be no they probably are not in great condition... but if they've been dry, cool, dark some might do OK. I'd say experiment with a few and top them up with some newer ones. They only take a moment to plant.

miss41
Troop

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 09:45:17 AM »

Ok, i'll look for new ones to be sure it'll  work ..
Thanks for your quick reply !

That's just the way it is, some things will never change....
That's just the way it is, but don't believe it !
mewsicmama
Troop

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 01:58:27 AM »

I will be participating in the South Los Angeles/North Orange county area.  I will be a one person guerilla and have a blast while doing it!
docsuzy
Troop

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »

I  have been  trying to do up the entrance of the hospital children's department here, quietly. This weekend for anyone in Shetland who is interested will be our day .
Sunflowers will not grow well outside in Shetland , but he has a bit of a glass shelter. Sunflowers it will be.If anyone is passing and wants to comes along, it will be next saturday morning at Gilbertson road!
Matt Thomas
USA GGs
Troop

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 06:26:57 AM »

I love this!  I will be planting while out on my route (i'm a UPS driver), so it will be easy for me to keep an eye on things while they grow.
TuesdayTrilby
Troop

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 05:40:13 PM »

As there is still a light skiff of snow on the ground here, while I will be planting a few sunflowers on may 1st, I also plan on planting more later in the month, when their chances will be better!
Richard _001
Founder
Troop

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2008, 12:29:22 AM »

Eleven of us walked the New Kent Road with the aim of turning it into The Golden Avenue. With an old shopping trolley as our tank we lugged tools, seeds and litter bags planting sunflowers where ever there looked like fertile ground. A full report will be on the home page soon. We also were honoured to be joined by Girasol 829, one of the Brussels Farmers and originator of International Sunflower Guerrilla Day!

* DSCN1667.jpg (31.1 KB, 340x255 - viewed 1152 times.)

* DSCN1649.jpg (60.96 KB, 510x680 - viewed 1194 times.)

* DSCN1648.jpg (47.54 KB, 510x383 - viewed 1134 times.)

Sandy Westermann
USA GGs
Troop

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2008, 02:17:42 AM »

Hello from NJ!  We (that is me and my 4 daughters 9, 6 4, and 2) had a GREAT Interntional Sunflower Guerrilla Day.  See my blog for pics and more on our groundbreaking!

http://www.thedancingbutterfly.blogspot.com/
TuesdayTrilby
Troop

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008, 06:03:39 PM »

As there is still a light skiff of snow on the ground here, while I will be planting a few sunflowers on may 1st, I also plan on planting more later in the month, when their chances will be better!

Since there have been no signs of life from my may day sunflowers, this morning I replanted two sunflower patches - one is in heavy clay, so I doubt it'll have much success - but the location is terrific if it does work out. The other sunflowers were (re)planted in a small public park
Richard _001
Founder
Troop

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2008, 09:09:34 PM »

Here's a short report I made of the successful sunflower guerrilla garden opposite the Houses of Parliament in London!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihUh5FNg1h4

tampopo
Ireland GGs
Troop

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 04:53:10 PM »

Well,

I went for it!!! Do you think it was busy enough!!

It was hard to plant out and water at night as it's in front of a pub. I had to get up early a few Saturday and Sunday mornings! I put out 6, but only 2 have survived.

A little closer....

I'll post more up to date pix when I can.25452
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 06:24:08 PM by tampopo » Logged
tampopo
Ireland GGs
Troop

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 04:42:42 PM »

First photo. I planted two sets of three.

Looking good...

halfway there, two survivors of the six originals.

Up and running....at last

that is about it on the Sunflower front. The hedging was host to hundreds of snails that I hadn't realised.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 06:22:46 PM by tampopo » Logged
Nisaba
Troop

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2008, 06:10:51 AM »

Another good thing about planting sunflowers is that, once they're finished, top'n'tail them - and you have instant, ready-made tomato stakes for your veggie patch next year! I really do like a plant that supplies you with gardening equipment.
Richard _001
Founder
Troop

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2009, 04:09:30 PM »

It's nearly that time of the year again to be filling your pockets with sunflower seeds and taking to the streets to plant. The third International Sunflower Guerrilla Day will hopefully be bigger than ever, with groups and solo guerrillas all over the place sowing sunshine around their neighbourhoods.

I've created a Facebook Event so you can easily invite people to take part.
http://www.facebook.com/inbox/readmessage.php?t=1063223574658#/event.php?eid=60175258519&ref=mf

And if May 1 was too far off, then get busy on April 4... because the Glasgow Guerrilla Gardeners have declared that International Nasturtium Guerrilla Gardening Day! Brilliant.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 04:37:34 PM by Richard _001 » Logged

Nisaba
Troop

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 11:27:29 PM »

Talking about sunflowers, which I love and have scattered everywhere, Jerusalem Artichokes are a kind of sunflower, and nowdays I can neither buy the tubers nor the seed. I don't suppose anyone can help me?
rasputin
Troop

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 06:14:02 PM »

I recently attempted to create seed bombs with sunflower seeds with unexpected results - they sprouted! 2-3 days after making the bombs, while some were still drying, i noticed white little sprouts pushing out of the balls. i was hoping to wait until the end of the month to disperse them but they're not going to wait!

anyone have experience with this? i'm curious where i went wrong.
Xanthoria
Troop

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 01:55:13 AM »

Anyone up for joining us in planting sunflowers in San Francisco?  Grin

http://pennsylvaniagarden.blogspot.com/

bulbil321
Troop

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 02:07:54 PM »

I recently attempted to create seed bombs with sunflower seeds with unexpected results - they sprouted! 2-3 days after making the bombs, while some were still drying, i noticed white little sprouts pushing out of the balls. i was hoping to wait until the end of the month to disperse them but they're not going to wait!

anyone have experience with this? i'm curious where i went wrong.

Some seeds sprout in just a few days so be careful that you know the shelf live of the bombs i.e. germination times of the seeds you used. If the seeds used in your bombs sprout quickly the moist material (clay and compost) can start the sprouting process and if you wait to long the sprouted seedlings will dry out. You might not even notice the seeds sprouting if the seeds don't fully open. But I think if the seed starts to open, whether you see it or not, and the bomb dries out the partly opened seeds are through. Some seed bombs need to be used right away. Hope this helps.
bulbil321
http://socalguerrillagardening.org/

Sunflowers and Blue Roses
USA GGs
Troop

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2009, 06:05:29 PM »

Hey i can plant sunflowers, i have lemon sunflowes and mammoth sunflowers already growing in small containers. I planted the seeds three weeks ago. The lemon sunflowers can grow to eight feet tall the mammoth can grow to twelve feet tall, any good ideas about where they would grow well.
tampopo
Ireland GGs
Troop

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2009, 07:11:01 PM »

to sunflowers and blue roses...

maybe if you could get them near a wall, it would help them remain upright. Otherwise they might need to be staked individually. Try the leeward side of a wall or somewhere like that. Have you a hedge that could shelter them while they still got sun?
Sunflowers and Blue Roses
USA GGs
Troop

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2009, 06:03:48 PM »

Do you think it would be ok if i stared with my neighborhood before really reaching out? I think some of the sunflowers would look  good along my school bus route, there are plenty of fences. Any tips on avoiding weed whackers? Thanks for your time.       Grin
tampopo
Ireland GGs
Troop

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2009, 01:57:50 PM »

yeah, weed whackers are what did for mine last year or the year before.  Could you make up some labels, cut up a milk carton into strips and use heavy black marker to write SUNFLOWER on it? Otherwise, keep the area immediately around the flowers clear of weeds in advance of the weedwhackers and hope for the best.

I do that still for the plants I have at the base of trees, see my Troop Digs photo, and it seems to work. The folks responsible don't cut closer than I have already done. That's probably not feasible if you have lots though...
garden posse
Troop

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 08:30:14 PM »

The Garden Posse is planning a big event in Austin, Texas!

Check it out here:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=88774766088&ref=ts
Egregius
Troop

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2009, 10:56:48 AM »

Talking about sunflowers, which I love and have scattered everywhere, Jerusalem Artichokes are a kind of sunflower, and nowdays I can neither buy the tubers nor the seed. I don't suppose anyone can help me?

Well I have planted two tubers myself, after they were available in the supermarket in januari (they don't store well). If you're in the area of Rotterdam I can provide you with a shoot or two Wink
mark144
Troop

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2010, 12:23:22 PM »

hey guys would it be a good idea to buy 1 off them huge bags off sunflowers seeds out off a pet shop like jollys or somthing?Huh?
cannonsblazing
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2010, 08:07:42 PM »

hey guys would it be a good idea to buy 1 off them huge bags off sunflowers seeds out off a pet shop like jollys or somthing?Huh?

Yes!  Grin Much cheaper, but you might want to spread more of them in the same place since not all of them will grow.
mark144
Troop

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2010, 11:08:17 AM »

aw ok i think i might do that or take half a bag and feed the rest to the bird LOL  Grin Cool Grin
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length