Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 16, 2018, 12:17:22 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the GuerrillaGardening.org Community, a place for guerrillas and wannabe guerrillas from around the world. Enlist with a username and password to share your guerrilla gardening plans, activity and advice. Find support or just go for it solo, sow the seed and get something growing. Click here to return to the home page: www.GuerrillaGardening.org

You can also connect with people at the GuerrillaGardening.org Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/guerrillagardening

TIP: To get alerts to replies to your messages click PROFILE then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left hand side menu. There is a check box to get alerts, and a check box to see recent posts at the top.

+  guerrillagardening.org
|-+  Regional Boards
| |-+  Australia
| | |-+  Melbourne
| | | |-+  Guerilla Gardening in Melbourne
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guerilla Gardening in Melbourne  (Read 54869 times)
Prema Finn
Australia GGs
Troop

« on: April 17, 2007, 12:53:57 AM »

Hi there,
It's the first time I've heard of guerilla gardening, thanks to the latest issue of ABC Garden Magazine. I think it's a fantastic idea! Can't wait to get started on my random acts. Would love to hear from anyone interested in joining me work some magic around the inner-western suburbs of Melbourne.

Cheers,
Prema

donnam
Troop

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 09:54:21 AM »

Hi Prema,

I live in a NW suburb of Melbourne.
I've started doing some GG outside the local school.
It's fantastic. Everytime I take my daughter to school I have a quiet smile to myself.
Where are you wanting to do GG?
Have you started yet?

Regards,
Donna
ella
Troop

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 08:52:22 AM »

Hi,
I've just found out about guerilla gardening too and love the idea. I am also in the inner west and would be interested getting out there. Where in the west did you have in mind?
Ella
Vicky Y
Troop

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 04:05:21 AM »

Count me in for some night time guerilla gardening. read about it in goodmagazine.com (btw we really need a mag like this in australia) and really glad that the ABC has obviously got on board too.
Abbie Lane
Australia GGs
Troop

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 04:24:19 AM »

Sounds a great idea, though I live in the dandenongs - maybe we can do a trade - I'll help you if you help me!!
jillybean
Troop

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 04:12:13 AM »

It does sound like a great idea! I would love to take part,  I'm in the inner Eastern suburbs of Melbourne...... If there are any missions being planned, let me know and I'll be sure to post anything upcoming.  I'm going to scope some bare areas a little later in the week.... so excited!
Jill
Celticoz
Troop

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 06:16:56 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I also think this concept is fantastic. I live at Cheltenham, so if anyone needs a hand down this way, let me know. Let's get GG known in the Garden State.
timlucas
Troop

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:00:23 AM »

ditto!!!

live in fitzroy. just arrived in melbourne. lets plant some seeds!!

lucas
shannon
Troop

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 01:08:23 PM »

Hi everyone in the Inner Western Suburbs of Melbourne,

I thought you might be interested in this...it's not exactly guerilla gardening but I'm sure you're interested in environmental sustainability as well...

Just letting you know about our upcoming "Meeting of Like Minds" environmental sustainability forum, happening on Tuesday 15 April 2008 at West Footscray Primary School in Argyle Street, West Footscray from 7.30-9.30pm.  RSVP 11 April to ojoy@optusnet.com.au.   Please BYO your own mug and some supper to share. 
It's a great chance for inner western suburbs residents to get together and share their ideas about how to achieve a more sustainable lifestyle - depending what your particular passion is.

You are invited to come along and share your ideas in discussion groups.  Interested groups are most welcome to attend and bring along their promotional/information material.  We have some fabulous panel members lined up including Neil Blake from St.Kilda's Eco-House; Colin Hocking from Iramoo @ VU - Sustainable Community Centre; local grassroots environmental groups and many others....

Then we can get together and make some plans for next steps for the inner west!

Please feel free to forward this invitation onto your networks.  We greatly appreciate any efforts to spread the word.This is an initiative of the Building Community Leadership Journey - Maribyrnong Group Project - Sustainability Hub.

For more info please phone Wendy on 9346 9026 AH.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Bryony Cole
Australia GGs
Troop

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 12:28:13 PM »

Hi guys,
What a fantastic concept!
I'm a Melbourne based freelance writer, currently doing my Masters in Journalism. I would love to write a feature article on GG.. Is there anyone willing to have me tag along to a session of guerilla gardening?
Also like to hear anyone's personal stories/successes with it in and around Melb.
Please email me at bryonycole@hotmail.com or just reply to the thread on this forum and I'll contact you.
Cheers green thumbs,
Bryony
mike2289
Australia GGs
Troop

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 01:06:41 AM »

hey oz,
having returned from richmond, kew, barnes in the uk, home of the GGs, happy to get engaged in this again, noticing lots of NW Melb people, found it most useful to keep things local in london where the attachment remains and up keep and ongoing interest etc.
so, if there was enuff interest to have a meet i would be happy to provide a venue, some strategy, targetting, etc. and no shortage of planting experience having about 287,919 oz natives in the ground since 1973 and a ton of reveg project skills.
contact me at 0447755210 or this post.
natives preferred but not essential.
m
miknmog@bigpond.com
Kayte Black
Australia GGs
Troop

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 03:01:25 PM »

Hello Melbourne people

I'm in the Brunswick area and definietley keen to form a group and talk seriously about getting some missions organised.

Hello to Lucas in Fitzroy too, just around the corner.

Is anyone active and interested?

Pip
Pete
Australia GGs
Troop

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 01:02:22 PM »

I reckon I'd be up for a bit of a garden.  I'm in Fitzroy at the moment so the inner north is good.  Unfortunately I have no time to organise anything at the moment so I'll have to cop out on that...
Karishma Kasabia
Australia GGs
Troop

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 12:05:11 AM »

Hi,
I would love to do this. I live in Inner South East suburbs.
Is there a group on facebook ? That way maybe we can work out event timings ?
Smiley
K
green bunswick
Troop

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 03:33:13 PM »

hello guerilla gardeners out there
i also am interested in planting
has anyone got together yet
would love to get involved
send me an email
duncanfreedman@gmail.com
lydia
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 05:47:02 AM »

hi - seems like there are plenty of people out there that are willing to participate in some gg - we just need someone to take charge and nominate a time and place
unfortunately i am wheel-less so it's a bit hard for me to get around but if there is something happening in the inner west i'll definitely try to come along

i've thrown a dozen or so seed bombs along the train line so i'm hoping that they will take
haven't got any clay yet so i just soaked some jiffy pots and packed them with a native wildflower seed mix - most of them stayed intact - fingers crossed that something will sprout over the next few weeks

happy gg

ffarff
Troop

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 02:01:16 AM »

i can set up a melbourne GG group on facebook if that would make things easier. send me a message and ill set it up.

Im in richmond.
ffarff
Troop

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 02:09:55 AM »

PS.
i also have a teenage Peppercorn tree that has started growing in my front lawn and isgrowing bigger by the day.
I dont want to pull it out because its a perfectly healthy tree [and the peppercorn has sentimental value to me as its my 'family's tree'].

Does anyone know who i could donate it to so it will grow somewhere for the rest of its life. I think it would be a massive shame to cut it down and kill it.

message me if you have any ideas.
lydia
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 02:12:50 AM »

facebook group sounds great
the only ffarff that i could find on facebook was a knitting group
is that you?
or should i search for 'guerrilla gardening in melbourne' - or some variation thereof?
lydia
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 02:17:57 AM »

re: peppercorn tree
i had one growing in my yard also but i managed to dig it up and transplant it into a pot
roots are quite long so it was a challenge not to break it
its doing well but i'll start looking around my neighbourhood for a more permanent spot for it
we have a lot of them near my train station and they're all doing very well there
hope you find a spot
Johnnibluehawk
Troop

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 01:19:32 PM »

Hey all Smiley

Am in northcote and have been (without knowing it was called it) Guerilla gardening for just over 2 years in this area now!

I work in the park at the end of my street.... adding Geraniums, Salvia, succulents, herbs, daisies etc.... all plants that are drought tolerant and vibrant in colour Smiley

also have another area i work on... same plants... and more... but also wood carvings in the dead tree branches...

if anyone is on this side of town and would like to help out?   let me know!

Johnnibluehawk@gmail.com
lydia03
Troop

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 05:36:57 AM »

hi Johnnibluehawk
what's the street address for your corner
would love to check it out on google street maps
cheers
Wikatoria
Troop

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 07:26:59 AM »

Hi I live in Elwood and have been doing a bit of GG in front of my block of flats: planted all my succulent 'pups' along a metre wide 5 metre long strip I dug up that was all forlorn and underused. Did not have enough plants to fill it all up at once but found a whole pile of succulent cuttings the next week on my porch left by our communal gardener!!, what a treat. Am planning to scatter a whole pile of california poppies  seeds to fill the gaps over summer and create a bit of colour.
Am all for spreading the good green news in my hood and am keen to meet up with fellow keen GG.
Am also curious as to how to get hold of LOTS of cheap or free plants/soil to help us beautify the ugly spots round town. Any ideas on this?
Are there any southeastern suburbites who want to meet in the next month or so to plan some spring sowing??
let me know ... am keen to help organise.... 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:44:20 AM by Wikatoria » Logged
whitelight
Troop

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 03:59:10 PM »

I'm in South Melbourne...am looking around for plots and plants...am interested in having a planning and strategy meeting...at a nearby pub....Friday Setember 12th...The Cricketers' Arm, Cruikshank St, Port Melbourne. Wear a leaf.
dan tipping
Australia GGs
Troop

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 12:22:37 PM »

hi
I'm brand new to this.
I'm a huge plant nerd, Ive been gardening my whole life, I'm a Arborist, and studied Horticulture and arboriculture for 3years.
I would love to get involved in any upcoming plantings in the Melbourne area, I'm based in ringwood but don't mined travelling to help out in the Melbourne area.
my life is quite busy but if i get enough notice, i could probably make it to most plantings.
cheers
Dan Tipping 

contact me at dj_tipping84@hotmail.com
Nisaba
Troop

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 10:01:01 AM »

There's already a facebook group called "guerilla Gardening". I've been there for a little while. See you there!
AndrewJames
Troop

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 11:40:03 PM »

I'll be at the meeting on friday  Smiley

The Cricketers' Arm, Friday Sept 12, 6pm, Cruickshank Street, Port Melbourne
Gardening_is_sexy
Troop

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 04:52:02 AM »

Hey all!

I am super keen to get to Guerilla Gardening in Melbourne.  I live in Carlton North and have started up a Melbourne GG page on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=31382467731
I am currently propogating eucalyptus and wattle seeds in my backyard so am keen to plant them when they're big and strong!

My email addess is: helenohoward@gmail.com

Would love to get in touch with ya'll and plan soem missions!!

Peace
Helen
Richard _001
Founder
Troop

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 05:29:24 PM »

I read about some Melbourne guerrillas here:
http://melbourne-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/guerrillas-dig-in-melbourne/

blueman
Troop

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 11:20:59 AM »

Hi, I'm new to this concept - but I do think that I have an interesting guerrilla gardening project : An Urban carbon sink.

I live in the Eastern suburbs and for many years now, the local community has struggled against the State Govt and our Local Council about a largish area of open public land with a creek running through it.

We stopped a housing development in 2001 (representing a theft of open space from the public - as this is public land) - but we do think that the relevant government authorities have a plan to re introduce a housing estate in this beautiful area of open space in the future - in this area which has been reserved as open space for about 30 years.

However after many years of getting nowhere with the relevant authorities on this -  a guerrilla gardening plan - to introduce native trees and shrubs across this land seems to us to be the next move.

This would create an urban Carbon sink and also promote the idea of storing carbon in this way in the urban environment.

Melba
Troop

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 01:12:27 PM »

Excellent idea, Blueman, about the carbon sink in eastern Melbourne.  I live in the Heidelberg/Ivanhoe area, and am hoping to link up with some planters here.

However I'm concerned about people planting just any old thing, which could turn out to be invasive and environmentally destructive species. Here is a link about weeds:  http://www.weeds.org.au/vicmap.htm

I urge EVERYONE to read up on the weed species of their local area, and also to educate themselves about the indigenous plant species which they can acquire cheaply from the various indigenous nurseries in Melbourne.

Here are some links:

http://www.vinc.net.au/ - this link is to Victorian Indigenous Nurseries Coop, which is set in the middle of Yarra Bend Park, Fairfield http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarra_Bend_Park

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/wildlife/pn.html - La Trobe University's wildlife sanctuary which incorporates an indigenous nursery.

There are also "friends groups" in various suburbs which have regular planting days in reserves.  You could learn a lot from these groups, even if your personal aims are different from theirs.

For instance, you could learn techniques for protecting plants once planted - nothing worse than seeing your cherished plantings die!!

More power to all thoughtful and caring planters out there ;-)

Melba
Mon 1/12
Melba
Troop

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 01:42:49 PM »

re: peppercorn tree
i had one growing in my yard also but i managed to dig it up and transplant it into a pot
roots are quite long so it was a challenge not to break it
its doing well but i'll start looking around my neighbourhood for a more permanent spot for it
we have a lot of them near my train station and they're all doing very well there
hope you find a spot

Dear Lydia, so sorry, your peppercorn tree is listed on the official site as an environmental weed:  http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=plant.tpl&state=vic&s=&region=vvp&card=E37

Please consider planting it in a pot somewhere if you must, and make sure it's not adjacent to remnant bushland.

Best wishes,  Melba.
Melba
Troop

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »

Here's another link for residents of southern parts of Melbourne:
http://www.skinc.com.au/ - the St Kilda Indigenous Nurseries Coop.

This page lists all the Indigenous Nurseries in Melbourne, which will have plants appropriate to your particular local conditions:
http://www.iffa.org.au/indig_nurseries#dand

Happy planting!!

Melba
Lots
Australia GGs
Troop

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 04:44:39 AM »

I dont have any gardening experience, but am really keen to learn if anyone needs an extra pair of hands on one of their missions. I live in the CBD and could try to scope out some locations for planting here if someone can give me tips on what to look for. I'd really love to get involved. Cheers, Charlotte (charlottes@gmail.com)
Ormond
Troop

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 11:30:47 AM »

Hi there, I'm a freelance journalist writing a piece on Guerrilla Gardening for Australian Worker magazine.

If there is anyone in Melbourne who'd like to be a part of the feature, I'm in Melbourne between Dec 23 and Jan 3.

I'd love to talk to you about your experiences and take some pix of your handywork.

You can contact me on aidanormond@gmail.com. Just leave a number and I'll ring you back.
Or text me on 0432 777 809.

Aidan Ormond
Vandas
Australia GGs
Troop

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 04:43:55 AM »

melba,

i would be keen to get something going in your area as well - im from around lower plenty. let me know if you've got anything don esince your post

vandas
tommo
Troop

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 01:40:28 PM »

Hey I'm in Eastern Melbourne, near Lilydale, Croydon etc.
I should get started soon, I just found out about it from an ad on TV.  They're doing a show about it on Channel 10.
I have heaps of plants around my house.  I started gardening a while ago.  I wanted to ask what type of plants are good.
I understand it's custom here to plant edibles.  However, all my veggies require copious watering.  Obviously not good.
I have some jades I can plant plus a few non-edible natives but that's about it.

Thank in advance!
aElf
Troop

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 08:24:26 AM »

hey all, i live in flemington and would LOVE to get planting!  i have no real garden of my own (except 2 delicious monsters & 2 japanese aralias on my balcony) hence my need to get my hands dirty.  i've got gloves, secateurs & miracle gro at my disposal.  karinotto@gmail.com
tinuviel
Troop

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2009, 06:17:49 AM »

Sunshine station (Sydenham line) is a major hub but the areas around it (outside the station on Public space) are just dead and barren land.. d'you reckon we could help liven it up?? It just looks like a delicious GG spot... many spots actually!
Flo
Troop

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2009, 02:01:39 AM »

Hi
I study Design at RMIT and I am doing research for a design project on GG in Melbourne. I am based in Fitzroy and was wandering if anyone could show me som GG here and would be willing to be interviewed? Contact Flo on 0431 048 108.
timlucas
Troop

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 01:35:53 AM »

Seed keeping is a vital part of the cycle. Apples, mangoes, avoes, etc. Keep da seeds. plant them. Care for the trees.
Plant loads. Of everything. Better have to many then too little!
Diversity is strength.

absoluteangel
Troop

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2010, 02:05:16 AM »

Is anyone out there still doing stuff?
I heard about this from a friend today so thought I'd look it up. Unknowingly I have started guerrilla gardening at my block of flats. I'm planting some veggies and flowers in the communal land that overlooks the street. I was also thinking about some fruit trees. Someone told me about a place that propagates plants in brunswick, near the merri creek. Thought I might have a look there and see if I can find any trees that might go well in my small space.

If anyone is interested in helping I would love that. I am in Elwood on Byron Street if there is anyone in the area.
Also, I just found out they are planning to make some communal gardens at the eco centre in elwood.
Cactusgirl
Troop

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2010, 03:33:16 AM »

Yes, I'm interested! I

live in the inner city Melbourne, South East block. Lots of median strips around Toorak train station needing some love.

Happy to travel around the city area, but not too far in the outer suburbs, as I haven't got a car.

Drop me a line! Smiley
imogen
Troop

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 11:20:29 PM »

hELLO FELLOW GUERILLA'S!

I HAVE JUST MOVED TO NORTH MELBOURNE AND WOULD LOVE TO GET OUT THERE AND BEAUTIFY SOME TIRED LOOKING PATCHES. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS OR SPOTS THEY WANT HELP WITH? 

MY EMAIL: WOODSIMOGEN@ GOOGLEMAIL.COM

urbanplanter
Troop

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 08:22:42 AM »

I've recently been doing some small scale test run GG projects, so far I've planted a cactus which unfortunately got vandalised within about a week  Sad some Kalanchoe tomentosa painfully slow so I have to becareful where I place them and one miniature species of Agave. I've got some very young seedlings of hopbush Dodonaea viscosa and in the future I'm planning on sourcing a number of species of Correa and propagating them from cuttings.

My project is rather small scale and is at it's early stages. I'm so glad we've been getting all of this rain Smiley.
ton up
Troop

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2016, 03:37:59 PM »

My first attack in the southern hemisphere during the summer.

Anyone for tennis??

I decided not to smuggle anything in after seeing the Border Control programmes, but there is this one street dealer in the CBD...

if it's minatures you're after, fine.

I went for something more substantial.

Had to be something either native or drought tolerant, right?

and off I wandered...

Stuck it in here...

"can you tell where it is yet...?"
                                                                                                                        34636

maimultverde.ro
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length