Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2018, 11:18:02 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the GuerrillaGardening.org Community, a place for guerrillas and wannabe guerrillas from around the world. Enlist with a username and password to share your guerrilla gardening plans, activity and advice. Find support or just go for it solo, sow the seed and get something growing. Click here to return to the home page: www.GuerrillaGardening.org

You can also connect with people at the GuerrillaGardening.org Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/guerrillagardening

TIP: To get alerts to replies to your messages click PROFILE then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left hand side menu. There is a check box to get alerts, and a check box to see recent posts at the top.

+  guerrillagardening.org
|-+  Regional Boards
| |-+  UK
| | |-+  Suffolk
| | | |-+  Land next to Frances Road, Sudbury Town Centre
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Land next to Frances Road, Sudbury Town Centre  (Read 5205 times)
Eddy
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:24:02 PM »

The land next to Frances Road, next to the bus station, right in the middle of town needs a makeover.

I already have secured funding, just need a huge army of volunteers and help to create a workable plan. It's a pretty high profile site, and it has been an eyesore for too long. Let's turn it into something amazing!

Please contact me at francesroadgardeners@gmail.com if you can help at all.
richardacre
Troop

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 01:04:02 PM »

wow, that's a huge plot but looks (on google streetview) mostly clear of junk (except the fences) so can imagine it's mainly a case of weeding. This weekend's a no go but the one after (25th/26th sept ish) I can come over from Ipswich for a bit.
Eddy
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 07:47:53 PM »

Yes it is huge, and I'm not going to rush into it!

I'm away for a couple of weeks, and I'm trying to get the support of like-minded people in the neighbourhood which will probably take a little while anyway. I reckon we'll need some vehicles to clear the debris that's there and take it to the dump the next day.

I think we need a good plan, too.

I'm thinking maybe the weekend of the 5th November?
ali--howie
Troop

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 09:41:06 PM »

Great idea, we will all definately be up for it. Where did you get funding from and how much will we need?
Mitch
Troop

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 08:45:12 AM »

Hello!!!!! I'm local and think this is abrilliant idea.  The place is an eyesore at the moment. Count me in.  Not an ace gardener but happy to help.  The weekend you're thinking of is good for us!
jk
Troop

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:52:35 PM »

I wish to express the same concern I expressed to the council in regard to their ideas to develop this site.  My concern is that the 'eyesore' as you call it is actually a haven for local wildlife.  There are numerous wild flowers growing on the site which attract a number of bummble bees.  The budlia bushes attract butterflies whilst the bushes and brambles are home to a host of species including sparrows, blackbirds, great tits, blue tits and the occasional song thrush who feed from and live thereon.  On top of this there are a number of shrews, mice and even hedghogs who take advantage of the lack of humans on this site, plus my cat loves it.  I would be quite happy for the ghastly fencing to be removed and the rubbish removed that inconsiderate people have decided to dump there.  I would not be happy for the eco-system that has built up there to be destroyed in the name of 'making it look nice' for human foibles.
Eddy
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 06:02:40 PM »

Right!

Let's get together for an evening and make a tentative plan which keeps everyone and the wildlife happy.

How about 7pm Tuesday 26th in the Angel?

I'm thinking that just to make it look less like Colditz would be a good start, although I don't suppose we can move the fencing... ideas anyone? Bring them with you!

It is, however, a good time of year to cut back the grassy meadow which will allow the seeds to drop and new seedlings light to grow in the Spring. Anyone got a scythe?

Please RSVP for Tues and I'll get the first round in.

Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length