Freedom Tower June 26th Dig

• 2 replies
Freedom Tower June 26th Dig
« on: June 25, 2010, 05:16:40 PM »
Hey folks,
I'd posted in the Downtown Miami incursion post about a dig for the evening of June 26th. I know it's a rough part of town but there'll be sammiches! And Pie. Everyone loves pie. The dig will begin 10:00pm the evening of the 26th, and you can meet me and whoever else comes out beneath the Freedom tower stop of the Metro mover. The dig is essentially taking place right there at the rail tracks.
I've got some bags of top soil I'll be laying down and a couple of gallons of Composted soil (pretty proud of my compost heap). I'll be putting down mostly seeds and a pair of banana trees.
As earlier stated if you want to join come by the Freedom Station Metro mover stop at NE 2nd ave and... I think that's 6th st? Since 5th goes across the bridge to the port of Miami.
Looking forward to the dig!!! Will hopefully alos have pics.
In Fearful day in Raging Night
With Strong Hearts full our Souls Ignite
When All Seems Lost in the War of Light
Look to the Stars Hope Burns Bright

Re: Freedom Tower June 26th Dig
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 08:27:03 PM »
So I wanted to give a break down of how the dig went.

Saturday night I did my excursion. I got there about 45 minutes later than I planned. so many apologies to any one who may have come and didn't see any one. It was just me and wow was it hard work.
I first came by and tried to drop off the dirt and compost I'd brought but soon realized that'd be a bad idea. Homeless folks almost immediately swarmed me looking for handouts, and the police came by to make sure I wasn't up to anything. I packed up my gear and left.
I then parked by Bayside and loaded as much dirt as I could into my backpack. I then hiked over to the dig site with my cultivators and got to work. After about 15 minutes I was sweating so hard it was like I'd just jumped into a pool. I was working on the sides of the train tracks and either side was horrible. One side (the south side) was practically concrete. The other was full of this scrub that would have torn at my hands if i hadn't been wearing gloves. I mean these weren't just weeds. What i have in my back yard? Those are weeds. These things... like uprooting bonzai. The soil was dusty and dry. It was like working with chalk. Everything was in there hard. Hardy shrubs that'd fought to survive, unwilling to give up to some weak human.
I finally cleared a space about 8x4 feet. Unfortunately I'd forgotten some of the seeds I'd planned to bring and others wouldn't have worked with the depth of the soil. I ended up planting blue forget me nots... IN THE SHAPE OF THE BLUE LANTERN EMBLEM!!! Hope for the win.
It looked nice cus I added the soil and the rich black soil contrasted against the grayish brown chalky dirt made the emblem stick out. I watered it with water that I'd kept in a gas can. I then went home. Safe and happy.

Seriously, once you're no where near a car and you're totally on foot no one bothers you. I could have been carrying a machete for goodness sake and no one'd care. Hoping to go back Saturday july 3rd. Hopefully I'll be able to make it for 10pm this time. If anyone wants to come and help out they're totally free to come out again. I'll be on the tracks by the same stop of the Metromover. Unfortunately my camera's bad, so no pics. I'll see what I can do this weekend.
In Fearful day in Raging Night
With Strong Hearts full our Souls Ignite
When All Seems Lost in the War of Light
Look to the Stars Hope Burns Bright

Re: Freedom Tower June 26th Dig
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:50:30 AM »
Are there any Miami/Miami Beach digs planned?  There are a few abandoned lots in South Beach that need some help...