Gueriila Gardening in Leicester / Leicestershire

• 21 replies
« on: April 06, 2010, 02:40:02 PM »
Well, I'm gradually getting people interested - we just need to do something now! Anyone have any ideas for possible sites suitable for GG activity?

Beaneralla

Re: Gueriila Gardening in Leicester / Leicestershire
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 07:56:01 AM »
I'm in Loughborough. I don't know where to plant and am too chicken to plant directly, but I'll happily grow seedlings and plants to be planted on. I always grow too mnay and would be happy to donate some to the cause. :)

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 03:51:08 PM »
That sounds brilliant! Thank you so much for the offer. We are a small group who, so far, have met up twice for digs this summer. We've concentrated on a very small patch of land next to the Southgates underpass in Leicester city centre. Nothing too extravagant, just annuals and some perennials bought cheaply or donated by relatives and friends. I'm intending to email the group to suggest a meet up soon to plant bulbs and some perennials when I've split them from my own garden. You'd be very welcome to join us.

I've been on the lookout for places to garden in Loughborough and would be interested in any ideas you might have.

Something we've been talking about is growing edible crops in a public space - mainly for ornamental reasons, but I know that some people have been doing it in other parts of the country to eat!

If you'd like to join us, or be included in the emails, let me know. I can send you links to some video footage and photos of our work.

Thanks again for the offer of plants and seeds - really kind!

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 12:39:30 AM »
There's an empty plot on Queens Road (near Victoria Park) that got demolished earlier this year but not much seems to be happening on it right now. I'm new to this so I don't know if there's a set time you should leave a piece of ground in case it gets built on and any work you do is destroyed, but not much has happened in about 6 months I think. It's also probably pretty iron hard right now with snow, but I was feeling the need to bring my trowel and hand-fork back with me after Christmas vacation and have a dabble when the ground warms up a bit. Is this the right attitude?  :-\  ???

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 01:59:22 PM »
Hi,

The Queens Road site sounds interesting! Yes, absolutely the right attitude! It took me the best part of a year to get something going and so far the troop I belong to has only done two digs - things like work, summer holidays and cold weather get in the way! I was all set to email everyone about planting spring bulbs and then the snow came!

You can see some of our photos on:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/haikumania/sets/72157624107731280/

If you'd like to join us (or us to join you at Queens Road), let me know and we can get something organised. January would be o.k. - we could possibly still get away with bulbs and certainly add some winter flowering plants. How big is the site? You'll see from our photos, the two plots we planted were quite small. We're also quite keen on trying out some veg - for ornamental, rather than edible, purposes to start with.

Let me know what you think!
Beaneralla

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 12:36:48 AM »
Hi

I'm quite interested in joining you. I live in clarendon paark but can't think of the spot you mean. There is a very large empty lot on queens road, it's been empty for the 2 years i've been here. Let me know what you're up to and i'll help out.

In any case I'll be expanding beyond the tree pit outside my house to include the whole of my street this summer.

Jon

tampopo

• http://aware.ie
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 05:12:27 PM »
Hi

I'm quite interested in joining you. I live in clarendon paark but can't think of the spot you mean. There is a very large empty lot on queens road, it's been empty for the 2 years i've been here. Let me know what you're up to and i'll help out.

In any case I'll be expanding beyond the tree pit outside my house to include the whole of my street this summer.

Jon
pics pics pics!!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »
Hi,

Let's do something on the Clarendon Park site then. Anyone like to suggest a possible date in the new year? I can then email the others and we can get together to sort something out.

I'd like to go back to our original site too - drove past there today and it's covered in leaves and everything has died off after the snow. Time for more permanent planting, I think.

Beanerella  :)

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 07:58:13 PM »
Great. Let me know when and where.

Jon

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 08:22:06 PM »
Hi Jon,

Will send out an email to the troop soon and get back to you. Thankfully the snow has abated, so should make the digs a bit more enticing and easier!  :)

Beanerella

Re: Guerilla Gardening in Leicester 6th Feb 2011
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 01:42:31 PM »
Hi,

Just to let you know that we are meeting next Sunday, 6th Feb outside the Charlotte to tidy up the site we started last year. We're meeting at 12.30, but I will let you know if the time changes (or if we cancel). People were interested in the Clarendon Park site, but no one is sure when it is so we thought we'd revisit our original dig and plan the next one.

Bring tools, gloves etc, and anything you'd like to plant.

Get in touch if you need more details - otherwise see you there!

Beanerella
 :)

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 12:12:30 PM »
Sorry I've been absent for so long! I was back home up north for the vacation.

Unfortunately, after years of doing nothing, the empty demolition site on Queens road has activity on it.... they've started laying foundations. However, I'm happy to help on other sites, if I remember to check this often enough.  ;)

Nice pictures by the way! You all look very happy, and with good reason.  :D

Cadellin

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 01:01:34 AM »
Horray! I have been waiting ages for some activity in Leicester and now this, a short walk from my house.

I would love to join please if I'm allowed (hehe :P)

Also would anyone be interested in being semi-interviewed at the meeting as I am doing my finalfinalfinalfinal ever piece of work for my degree @ DMU on urban planting and guerilla gardening and any bodys help would be very much appriciated. How about killing 2 birds with one stone? Help the environment to look nicer and help a student. :)

P.S. I have never been to one of these meetings before, I assume a 12.30 meeting is lunchtime? As from the GG youtube videos most of the activities has been at night.

One last thing, do we need to bring anything? I can bring plants if instructed to, but would need specifics as I don't grow anything at home.

Thankyou

Louise.

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 07:49:36 PM »
Hi,

Yes, please do join us!

Yes, it's 12.30 lunch time, Sunday 6th Feb. We previously met in the evening, but it was getting hard to find a date that everyone could make before March so a Sunday was the next best option!

Your research sounds interesting - no objection to being semi-interviewed. Someone else in our troop is doing similar research, so you can compare notes!

The site is small, but we all felt very proud of our efforts - people sitting at the traffic lights seem to have appreciated it!

If you could bring anything to plant, that would be great - bulbs or pansies would be good. I'm going to check out Wilkinsons to see what they have going cheap as the bulb planting season is over. If you've got any tools and gloves, bring them with anything else that might be useful! I'll bring tools and water and someone else will a rubbish bag. She even brought a sack load of manure last time!

Great that you can join us! See you Sunday.
Beanerella  :)

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 10:33:47 PM »
Hi again,

The weather forecast says it will be raining heavily on Saturday, but light showers on Sunday 6th Feb. I am planning to go, if it's light showers) If it's raining really, really heavily, I probably won't go, unless people are still desperate to meet up.

If we need to cancel, I'll post on the site and send a message on Sunday morning to those people who said they'd like to come.

If anyone could bring any plants / bulbs with them, that would be great. I'll bring some plants, tools and water. Don't forget your gloves and spades!

See you there,
Sarah

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 12:33:02 AM »
Hey guys!

Thanks for letting me come today, it was really helpful and fun, I am now a converted gardener.

I will promise to help more next time now I semi-know what I'm doing and I won't need to be taking notes and photos.

I'll try upload the photos in the next few days, and if anyone else took any photos could you upload them somewhere or email them to me? my address is louise-owen@live.com

:)

Lou xx

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 01:29:35 PM »
Hi there,
Really interested in getting involved in this. It sounds like fun.
I've scoped out a few spots in melton mowbray could do with brightening up.
I'm not sure if the council are going to come along and weedkill the whole lot a few weeks before planting tho.
Has anyone any experience of this?
Can u let me know if u have anything planned for Leicester coming up...i'll pop down and lend a hand.
Cheers,
Jonny

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 07:46:02 PM »
Hi

Sorry not to have made it to the meet.  Unfortunately I was off doing other things that day. I'll definitely come to the next one if I can make it.

Jon

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 08:13:46 PM »
Hi Jon,

No problem! It was a good dig and there were quite a few of us. We're planning to meet on Sunday 27th March at 12.30, as before, near the Charlotte and will dig by the Shakespeare's Head pub. We spoke to the landlady there and she was pleased we were doing something. She let us top up our watering cans and said she was happy to do so again next time.

I'll post a reminder nearer the time.

Hope to see you there!
Sarah

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 08:28:02 PM »
Hi,

Our next mission will be on Sunday 27th March, as it's the day that suits most people. Meet same place, same time as before - 12.30 outside the Charlotte / Shakespeare's Head in Leicester. I'll remind everyone nearer the time!

http://www.shakespeareshead.co.uk/

The pub is on the Southgates underpass. Nearest parking is the Newarke (Phoenix) car park on Oxford Street. Last time we met, there were a few cars with parking tickets on the roads nearby, so the car park is probably the best bet.

See you there!

Sarah

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 02:07:27 PM »
Hi,

I've been into GG on and off for the past 6 years ha ha! Think I'm member number 32!

Anyway, is there any new digs happening in Leicester?

Rich

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »
Attention GG's of Leicester.

What are you guys doing now? I'm really interested but have no idea where to even start, can you guys help me out?
Alan Cray loves his garden equipment