You guys are amazing!

• 2 replies

Hedgehog Bottom

• I intend to live forever... so far, so good
    • Hedgehog Bottom Rescue
You guys are amazing!
« on: March 23, 2010, 02:44:46 PM »
Hi, I came across this place by accident and just had to sign up to say how fantastic you all are.

I run a small wild Hedgehog Rescue in Berkshire, UK, and we're fighting the decline in these animals for so many reasons but loss of habitat is a huge one.

What you are all doing is helping no end and I really can't thank you enough. The hedgehogs love you too.  :-*
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 04:27:30 PM by Hedgehog Bottom »
Refuge for sick and injured Erinaceous Europae
Hedgehog Bottom

Re: You guys are amazing!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 09:53:49 PM »
 :) :)Ah thanks  and welcome :) :)
Drink deep and never thirst

Hedgehog Bottom

• I intend to live forever... so far, so good
    • Hedgehog Bottom Rescue
Re: You guys are amazing!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 09:37:30 AM »
You are more than welcome.

Buddliabill has suggested I post a little on here about what I do.  :D Anyone who knows me and my passion for hedgies knows that 'a little' is not something that happens very often.

The link to my web site is in my sig but please be aware that my host are in the process of migrating everything over to new servers so if you happen to hit it at the wrong time there'll be nothing there.

What I will say is that hedgehogs have been on this planet for 15 million years. In the last 10 years, man has managed to wipe out 50% of the population, not just in the UK but right across Europe. If this carries on there will be none left by 2020.

80% of Post Mortems carried out in the last 12 months show rat poison as a major cause of mortality and I've noticed a huge increase in the so called 'safe' bait boxes all over the place. These boxes are ideal shelters for hoglets who have been chucked out by mum to get on with it.

Councils are gaily spraying everything in sight with 'animal safe' pesticides. There is a study going on at Hull University to find out just how safe they actually are. It's the usual thing of do you believe the sales hype?

Fencing companies are installing concrete footings all over the shop, hedgehogs can't walk through or dig under huge slabs of concrete so their food route is cut off.

We're fighting the old wives' tales of bread and milk, slugs and snails. All of these make hogs extremely sick. Milk gives them the runs and dehydration, slugs and snails give them lungworm. Their main diet is worms, caterpillars and beetles. We leave out water and cat biscuits to help them.

Strimmers, mowers, shears, bonfires, ponds, compost heaps, careless use or construction of all of these contribute to horrific injury or death. Plunging a fork into a compost heap to turn it over can result in a skewered hedgehog that thought it had found a safe place to sleep.

These animals have to battle through more problems than any other wildlife and yet they are listed as the UKs favourite animal. They are now on the Protected Species list and carers all across the country are working their socks off to try and help them.

If you see a hedgehog out in daylight (not early morning or late evening) then there is something wrong. Please grab it and get it to a carer or wildlife rescue. There is a list on my web site. If there's nobody near you then get them to a vet. Please don't hang around, a few minutes can make a difference with these guys as they go downhill really fast.

If they get the right treatment the prognosis is good. Over the past 12 months I guess I'm releasing 95% of the patients I've had in.

I'll stop now before your heads get fried.  ;D
Refuge for sick and injured Erinaceous Europae
Hedgehog Bottom