Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2018, 04:27:27 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the GuerrillaGardening.org Community, a place for guerrillas and wannabe guerrillas from around the world. Enlist with a username and password to share your guerrilla gardening plans, activity and advice. Find support or just go for it solo, sow the seed and get something growing. Click here to return to the home page: www.GuerrillaGardening.org

You can also connect with people at the GuerrillaGardening.org Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/guerrillagardening

TIP: To get alerts to replies to your messages click PROFILE then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left hand side menu. There is a check box to get alerts, and a check box to see recent posts at the top.

+  guerrillagardening.org
|-+  Regional Boards
| |-+  USA
| | |-+  Pennsylvania
| | | |-+  Pittsburgh! (South Hills)
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pittsburgh! (South Hills)  (Read 3612 times)
GardenFae
Troop

« on: February 20, 2010, 04:00:24 PM »

Wow, what a cool find! Down here in the South Hills area of Pittsburgh there are quite a few roadsides that could use something pretty. Not much in the way of official planters to dig up, but I'm sure we could do something about the brushy, flowerless dirt along roadsides here... there are areas without sidewalks or very broken sidewalks and lots of people have worn bare paths through the waist-high weeds just barely out of reach of traffic - there's really no support for those who like to walk around here! Would be nice to tear some weeds out and put in some nice sturdy wildflowers, to make walking easier (and less stressful!).

One project I'd like to see tackled, even if I have to do it in tiny chunks by myself, is to improve the walking route from my home to my office. It's just under 3 miles, and along a major travel route without any sidewalk most of the way. The road runs 'round hills and over a creek so walking is perilous and at times requires walking in the road or crossing traffic to get to a safer walking path. Anyone have experience with digging out hillsides, short retaining walls, etc to improve walking conditions along Rt. 51? Even an extra foot of flat ground on the side of some of the hills would be much appreciated by those who walk there. I don't want this to become a dangerous project (would like to see it done correctly and beautifully), but the public works people have clearly not considered pedestrians, and someone needs to draw attention to the issues of walking even short distances here!  Undecided

For now I think I'll start with my own road, though. We live on what the DPW classifies as a "tertiary route" (little more than an alley, and only barely wider than one), so it doesn't get plowed, let alone have any planters or regular weed cutting. The small cut in the hillside across from our front steps is eroding due to traffic driving up it in order to avoid parked vehicles, and what hasn't been driven over is just woody brush and vines - possibly some poison ivy. This summer I think it'll be my project area. Anyone know of a plant that will survive occasional run-ins with trucks? I was considering a vine to cover the chain-link fence that our neighbor has as well, but I'm not sure what I could plant that wouldn't be invasive and wouldn't damage the fence in case he decided it had to go.  Huh
Agent9985
Troop

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:24:46 PM »

I would say you could probably use "steppable" or carpet plants on that hillside.   

Veronica repens
Veronica Mann?s variety
Veronica pectinata rubra
Veronica Waterperry blue
Creeping Jenny
Sagina subulata
Mazus reptans
Creeping thyme
Golden moss sandwort
John Creech sedum
Dianthus Tiny Rubies
 Corsican Mint
Pratia Country Park
GardenFae
Troop

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 07:24:57 PM »

Thank you for the helpful reply! Smiley I notice we now have a Pittsburgh board, hooray! I'll look into picking up a few plants next time I'm out, since it'd be great to sit on the front steps this summer and look out at a hill carpeted in green rather than eroding... Cheesy
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length