`seed bomb` contents

• 1 replies

willie wit

• /soil is analog/
`seed bomb` contents
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:32:06 PM »
I think more thought often needs to be given to the type of seeds that are put into seed bombs , if mostly annuals are used ie field poppies , cornflower etc the first year display may well be colourful and give a great sense of achievement but future years may yield nothing at all . This is due to seeds like poppy needing to have the soil disturbed for them to continue to germinate in subsequent years.
personally i always add `meadow cranesbill`and `california poppys`
the cranesbill is a really tough plant that will grow most places and has the added advantage of projecting its seeds over a distance like the california poppy by means of pods that spring open.cranesbill will take 2-3 years before coming into full bloom but i planted some 25 years ago in a wasteground area and they are still going strong , providing me with loads of free seeds every year , good to get going in yogurt pots too.      geranium pratense and eschscholzia.        8)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:47:14 PM by buddliabill7 »

Re: `seed bomb` contents
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 01:23:59 AM »
yes indeed. the seed selection in my "bullets" works in stages some will sprout easily and in winter, grow and provide some shade others will come on next and so on in succession... one of the plants the desert gourd will be a shade generator as well as provide food for critters which leave droppings as a thank you. it returns next year from its root
and will likely produce enough shelter if someone wants to set up shop in the ground underneath it = disturbance you mention which is nessecary for a lot of weeds to go more than one year.
i have local poppy seeds, can you provide a few cranebills? where were they grown? can it deal with 110f and 10% RH?
 i purposely use only seeds that originated from the desert for obvious reasons...