Do Seed Bombs Work?

• 5 replies
Do Seed Bombs Work?
« on: October 04, 2009, 06:18:02 AM »
I want to make some, but want to be sure they work well.

I was wondering if people have seen seed bombs actually work?  How often did they fail?

Also let us know what method/recipe you used

Re: Do Seed Bombs Work?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:17:41 AM »
Where do you live? I live in southern California and I don't think they would work well here. I know a few people have tried them but I don't know of any gardens started by bombing an area locally. If you get good rain going into the spring where you live I think they could work well. But if you're in a drier climate I think you'll have a tuff time. I think local wildflowers seeds would be your best bet. But again,  the rain make all the difference.  In the local deserts it can be years between wildflower blooms.

tampopo

• http://aware.ie
Do Seed Bombs Work?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 11:32:46 AM »
This site might be useful for you.

http://www.nativeseeds.org/

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 01:20:32 AM »
Where do you live? I live in southern California and I don't think they would work well here. I know a few people have tried them but I don't know of any gardens started by bombing an area locally. If you get good rain going into the spring where you live I think they could work well. But if you're in a drier climate I think you'll have a tuff time. I think local wildflowers seeds would be your best bet. But again,  the rain make all the difference.  In the local deserts it can be years between wildflower blooms.

I live in North Carolina, zone 7a

Rainfall for Charlotte NC

JAN    FEB     MAR    APR    MAY    JUN    JUL     AUG    SEP     OCT    NOV    DEC   

CHARLOTTE, NC                    3.71     3.84   4.43    2.68   3.82    3.39   3.92   3.73    3.50    3.36   3.23    3.48 

Annual:    43.09

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 01:23:07 AM by ryan112ryan »

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 03:36:54 AM »
I think seed bombs would work great in your area. You can find lots of info on making seed bombs on the web. This site has good info on the subject.  I would find native plants you  like and make some seed bombs and go at it. You'll figure out pretty fast what works and what doesn't.
Where I live we average about 14 inches a year but it's never average.  Some years we get way over - 2004-2005 we had 37.96 in. And some years way under - 2006-2007 we had 3.21 in.  It's hard for any seedlings with just 3 in. of rain.   
Keep us updated on your bombings. If you send Richard some photos I'm pretty sure he'll post them.

tampopo

• http://aware.ie
Do Seed Bombs Work?
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 01:41:54 PM »
Ah, NC,

well, take a walk around your neighbourhood, and see what's growing and if they are self seeders. If so, well then the likelihood is that seed bombs with seeds of these plants will work.  Make sure you post some photos.

t.