Millersville, PA

• 2 replies
Millersville, PA
« on: August 17, 2009, 05:17:46 AM »
Hello everyone!

I was very excited to find this website. A friend of mine and myself recently planted gardens at our houses. We had an over abundance of plants that we weren't sure what to do with. One night I had the idea to plant them in an empty flower bed located at Millersville University's art building. We are both artists and students at Millersville and were tired of this flower bed having nothing in it. We took the space over one night and planted our guerrilla garden. It is growing well and any produce that we get from the plants is up for grabs.

My friend and I have also pushed around the idea of trying to sell the produce at a local food market held at a nearby cafe and donating the proceeds to a scholarship fund for art students that need money to buy art supplies.

I also have connections with people who are starting an ethically sourced food group in the Lancaster area. There plan is to get food donations or food that they have grown, that will be used in a dinner held for artists in Lancaster once a month.

Anybody share our experience?

Re: Millersville, PA
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:07:07 AM »
Hello ArtGarden!

I'm at F&M and have been seriously considering doing some guerilla gardening for a while. One of my friends just expressed interest in it and I'm going to see if I can get a little group going. I'm in the middle of trying to engineer an ideal mix of native plants and grasses that would be good for planting in vacant urban spaces, esp. in abandoned Lancaster city lots.

I know F&M's in the middle of a sustainability push and I know there was a little group of people who started a garden near the old brickyards somewhere. I'm going to see if I can get into contact with that group. Lord knows, there might be some sort of club that I could milk money from.

Anyway, it would be neat if we could get a group of Lancaster-area students together for GG projects. Keep me updated on your food project. I don't know if there's anyone else in the Lancaster area who's into this sort of thing but I really wouldn't be surprised since it's such a big farming area.

Just as a tip: there's always people giving away free plants on the local craigslist. There's not too much now but I'm assuming it'll pick up as fall rolls around and people get around to rearranging their gardens.

By the way, the dinner for artists wouldn't happen to be the CHL meetings, would they? I get updates from the group but have never managed to go to any events. I always tell myself I'm too shy and not arty enough... :)

Re: Millersville, PA
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:24:08 AM »
Hi there hallogallo!

Sounds like you are well on your way to starting a guerrilla garden of your own! I absolutely think it would be a great idea to take this into the city as well. And thanks for the tip about the free plants on craigslist.

I hope you are able to get in contact with the group that planted the garden near the old brickyards, any donations that you can get will surely help you out. When my friend and I planted our garden, luckily all the plants we planted were seeds we had saved from the previous year and we also scavenged the art building for additional supplies that we needed, so no money lost.

And 100% agree with you about getting Lancaster-area students together to do this! I know plenty of people who would be interested. And actually a few of my professors found out that my friend and I where responsible for the garden and have given us their blessings. They actually asked us to do some work with some of the other empty flower beds around the art building. So I definitely think that there would be plenty of support out there for us!

I also know someone who works in the gallery over at F&M. Her husband goes to MU and she saw our garden and was absolutely in love with the idea. She actually made the suggestion of getting a group together to clean up our rose garden that is overgrown with weeds!

I'm hoping to research some produce that can be grown in the fall and/or winter and plant that so we can keep a garden going all year long, but finding the time to do that is another story...

And I'm actually not familiar with CHL. Who exactly are they? I would probably do the same thing unless someone dragged me along since I am pretty shy myself and also never feel arty enough... You are probably a lot more arty than you think though.  :)

This group is called Artists Serving Artists (you can find them on facebook if you have one), and they just recently started the group. My roommate and I are trying to start a collaboration with them as well on this because they need help picking all the food donations they receive. It's unbelievable the amount of donated stuff they can get! And I know there is another group who does something similar, Food Not Bombs. Every Sunday night they cook and then Mondays at 11am they have a free lunch at Binn's Park, mostly for homeless, but anybody can really show up to eat.

Good luck to you with getting your project started! Keep me updated as well and I will let you know what happens with the food project. And if we can get something going involving Lancaster-area students, let's do it!