Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 17, 2017, 10:20:28 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the GuerrillaGardening.org Community, a place for guerrillas and wannabe guerrillas from around the world. Enlist with a username and password to share your guerrilla gardening plans, activity and advice. Find support or just go for it solo, sow the seed and get something growing. Click here to return to the home page: www.GuerrillaGardening.org

You can also connect with people at the GuerrillaGardening.org Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/guerrillagardening

TIP: To get alerts to replies to your messages click PROFILE then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left hand side menu. There is a check box to get alerts, and a check box to see recent posts at the top.

+  guerrillagardening.org
|-+  Regional Boards
| |-+  Libya
| | |-+  Guerrilla Gardening in Tripoli
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guerrilla Gardening in Tripoli  (Read 15477 times)
Richard _001
Founder
Troop

« on: December 21, 2006, 08:47:14 PM »

On a fact finding mission in Libya I have guerrilla gardening in Tripoli to report. 

Whilst the town is planted with numerous elegant palms that line the streets growing from square holes cut into the pavement, in places they are either missing or the base of the tree has become a muddy messy litter dump.  This is an area for improvement and public partcipation, an opportunity to fly the green national flag. 

The biggest challenge for a guerrilla gardener in central Tripoli is finding a supply of plants.  I eventually bartered with a souvenir trader in the medina for one of his ornamental succulent pot plants that are not usually for sale.  It was perfect for filling a small weedy pavement planter that I had spotted earlier in the day.  At around 7.45pm, with Mike and Steve in attendance, we struck.  Two suited local Libyans took interest, alarming at first, but soon splendid allies.  One had not only studied film in London thirty years ago but was also leader of the local Revolutionary Youth Committee.  Whilst I gardened Mike put him at ease about his discovery of a foreigner with a trowel digging up his capital city, and won him round.  He was so delighted with our "gesture of friendship" that he invited us into the comittee club the overlooked the action, and gave a tour.  In a wood pannelled room with Ghadafi's portrait looking down on us, he gave me his e-mail address and agreed to take on responsibility for the plant and plot.

(Of course if you are a permanent resident of Libya and would like to guerrilla garden please do not hesitate to leave a message here as I have identified numerous opportunities for the green improvement of public space)

* 201206 Tripoli After DayClose.jpg (67.57 KB, 142x213 - viewed 1436 times.)

* 201206 Tripoli.jpg (67.45 KB, 170x197 - viewed 1451 times.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:45:13 PM by Richard 1 » Logged

Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length