Guerrilla Gardening Questionaire

• 3 replies
Guerrilla Gardening Questionaire
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:32:58 PM »
My name is Patrick and I am researching Guerrilla Gardening.  If you are an active participant I would love to get in contact with you, join you on a dig, or just have you answer a few questions.  Thanks for your time,

1 - How did you get started in Guerrilla Gardening?

2 - What tools do you use?

3 - Do you have a favourite plant/flower/tree to plant?

4 - How many people are in your Troop?

5 - Why do you Guerrilla Garden?

6 - How do you choose where to dig?

7 - Any unique experiences?

8 - What is your means of transportation?

9 - Do you mark your gardens?

10 - What difficulties do you encounter when on a dig?

Bearo

Re: Guerrilla Gardening Questionaire
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 08:14:44 PM »
Hi Patrick, here's my answers, but I'm only a beginner.
I read a book, can't quite remember what prompted me to read the book, in the first place.
None yet, just hands for a bit of litter picking or poking seeds into soil.
3 - Do you have a favourite plant/flower/tree to plant
Nasturtiums & Sunflowers.
Just me, so far.
Because I'm sick of the rubbish dumped on our greenspaces.
If its a mess near to home. I'm a bit reluctant to do anything further afield.
Not yet.
Feet.9 - Do you mark your gardens?
I thought you meant, 'do you pee in it?' The answer is no in both cases.
I'm scared of being accused of dumping rubbish.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:26:39 PM »
Thanks for your response!

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 06:58:13 AM »

By accident back in university (1994-99):  a friend of mine and i wanted to grow some vegetables. we picked a sunny, unused spot near our apartment. i didn't realize i couldn't garden there until someone told me to stop gardening there. when i moved the plants to another spot (where we had permission to garden), the old spot ws left just as bare as when we found it. i planted wild flowers there, so that there would at least be some ground cover. apparently wild flowers are welcome, because no one ever commented to me about it.

spade and small garden fork (hand held).

3 - Do you have a favourite plant/flower/tree to plant?

depends upon what i'm doing. i find perennial herbs are the hardiest. i have also developed a real fondness for sedum. it's very hardy and makes a lovely border plant.

it's usually just me, and now my two year old son helps. every once in a while, another few people come along. i find that my GGing is actually a pretty slow process.

First, I enjoy gardening, and I don't have a lot of land or space for containers.

Also, i find it solves problems. When we moved in, the park i'm planning on GGing was a mess. lots of trash, lots of overgrown plants and weeds. That first week, my husband and I picked up the park's litter. Then, a friend of ours asked the city council (he works there) to do a quick clean up of the overgrown vines/plants on the hillside. They actually did that the second week we were there, and since then we've been able to maintain it pretty well by borrowing a set of shears from the landlord's handiman when he does the yard work for our place every month or so.

Since then, the park is usually clean. So, it's more fun for my son, and the couple other families who live near us, to use. :)

where ever inspiration strikes me. i'm really obsessed with that bit of neglected greenspace down the path from me. :)

i don't know what would be unique. i do know that i've seen an unused space become a community space just by an act of guerilla gardening.

about three years ago, a friend of mine decided to just start gardening in this one spot in our town. he asked his friends for ideas, and we spent a lot of time in that garden. each saturday, we would clean it, weed it, and plant it. we built a meditation garden, a sculpture garden, and a stage/music area. it was not a big space, mind you. but obviously big enough for these things.

this is it's third summer. each friday night, there is live music playing on the stage. saturday night is poetry night, and sunday morning a guided meditation through the meditation labyrinth. during the weekdays, families play there, people take their lunches there, and so on.

i find that really inspirational, and it's what i hope for the little space just down from our apartment. there are a number of families here, and i think a family friendly garden space where people can gather and grow would be a real asset.

We walk, since it is easy to do here. I also take the bus if i need to. i also tend to get a lot of plants from friend's gardens, so they will deliver them to me (via their cars) or i will walk/bus to their house to help divide the plants  and then they'll drive me (and the plants) back to my place.

9 - Do you mark your gardens?

generally, no. i do place signs around such as "thank you for keeping our garden clean!" next to the recycling/trash bins. right now, this is my current effort in the garden space.

Typically, I have big vision and little time. I need to develop more patience. :)

I have never really been bothered for gardening, honestly. I tend to find and cultivate spots that are out of the way, and most people assume that i should be there. I've never had any issue with police or authorities of any kind.

In the garden above, the town supervisors came to our "grand opening" of the garden once we had done the plantings. we then learned that it was the township's land, but that the council decided to honor our work and keep it as a garden space. So, that ended well.

My hope for the little garden here (which is just about the same size as the garden there) is that it will be either not even noticed or passively accepted. I like that very few people know it is even there, and because of that, it can be more sheltered from the broader public and the council. Nevertheless, for those of us who live here on the edge of it, i would like for it to become our own back yard, a place that people who go there can be proud of and enjoy.