Poll

Do you have a motive for guerrilla gardening?Do one of the follwoing options apply?

Political
2 (12.5%)
Social
7 (43.8%)
Environmental
6 (37.5%)
Other, please specify
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: April 24, 2009, 07:55:10 PM

Guerrilla Gardening Motive

• 7 replies
Guerrilla Gardening Motive
« on: April 19, 2009, 07:55:10 PM »
I am in my first year at Goldsmiths studying anthropology. For one of my reports I have chosen to study the political, social and environmental implications of
guerrilla gardening. I am aiming to assess the motives behind the activity. How would you classify yourself under the given options? Are you a guerrilla gardener to benefit the community, transform society or create a more environmentally friendly city? Please state your point of view maybe we can get a discussion going.

Cheers
Ruby 

Re: Guerrilla Gardening Motive
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 04:10:25 PM »
on my behalf its a political statement, planting veg and fruit around the city is working towards a more
sustainable society, especially in the form of community gardens, im just starting one up with some friends in the
squat we're occupying we wanna give it a try see how little we can mange to rely on money!!will be posting up dates on this.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 04:56:42 PM »
I started guerilla gardening because I was invited by a friend, but once I got into it, it got me started in thinking about its value for the community and the environment.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:03:38 PM »
I do not see it as a guerrilla in the strict sense of the world.
It is not about fighting someone or something.
It is about making beautiful something you loved from before, in my case London......!
Social and personal (mabe even individualistic...)reasons are the strongest then...

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 01:05:40 PM »
i guess my motive would be social, to create a more beautiful place to live in  and it creates a kind of caring and nurturing atmosphere (people doing good for the greater good of those around them). i like how it is a selfless act of humanity to make improvements for everyone elses benefit.  the enviromental implications of it are also great though, the more greenery there is in the world the better. i generally just think its a brilliant idea, looking after land and space that no one else bothers to, if everyone did this the world would be super good! :)

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 03:06:16 PM »
My reason for guerrilla gardening is primarily social. I live in a very dull town, post-industrial, rusty and dusty and dead. Gardening is one of many ways I try to bring some color and life to this place.

Ava

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 08:10:17 PM »
I see guerilla gardening along with small scale organic farming as an imminently necessary act of resistance to transform society and the oppressive food system within which we live.  GG emphasizes the importance of reclaiming public space or commons as a means to empower people and ensure their ability to subsist by way of access to healthy, just food. 

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:33:58 PM »
this forum looks like ancient history but resist.

I object to the enclosure movement.  It scares me that water rights are getting privatized, and I fear breathing air will be next.  The land is everyone's birthright, and I just like the idea of living as if the political world worked that way and maybe if enough people do it, we'll return the world a little closer to that way of sharing. 

Besides, ugly lots waste precious arable land, and the owners often don't dare give permission because then I could sue if I stepped on some broken glass there, but if I am trespassing, common sense prevails.  They have no motive to stop me and I have no interest in suing. 

My bigger plot this year will be producing food for a local food pantry.  Isn't that better than paying highway workers to burn fossil fuels mowing the area?