Acknowledgment of spontaneous Memorial Gardening

• 0 replies

Kinniska

• I need a 36 hour day...
    • Garden Misadventures
Acknowledgment of spontaneous Memorial Gardening
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:10:38 PM »
I just wanted to put a little acknowledgment of some of the people who have - de facto - done some guerrilla gardening as a memorial to my sister, who recently passed away.

My sister was an artist, a naturalist and an avid birdwatcher. I think she would have appreciated the way that people have responded with plantings and even trees: when asked the customary "Is there anything I can do?" I had found myself mumbling "plant something? anything?" - followed by the explanation that I'd be creating a small memorial garden along the hiking trail where she passed away. I'm really touched by the responses I've gotten. At some point in the future I'm going to attempt to put together a page to host photos of her artwork and will include any photos people send me of their plantings.

I'd like to acknowledge and thank the following individuals (while still respecting their privacy) - they know who they are, but let this be encouragement to anyone else who has hesitated to plant something in the memory of a lost friend or family member. It means a lot and really is a comfort.

Heartfelt thanks go out to:
E in Tokyo, Japan (guerrilla planting);
A in Christchurch, New Zealand (guerrilla planting);
P in Kansas City, Kansas, USA (plantings and prayer flags);
Several folks associated with the [http://www.nmsnt.org/]New Mexico School of Natural Therapeutics[/url] (several trees planted);
S in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, for 3 trees planted in Israel;
P, W and M in Brattleboro, Vermont, USA;
and the list goes on.

[Edited to include: ]
S and B in Concord, Massachusetts, USA, for antique lilacs in Concord and in a site in NH.
C in Somerville, Massachusetts, USA, for tulips.

Thank you everyone.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:58:05 AM by Kinniska »