Minnesota, Twin Cities

• 30 replies
Minnesota, Twin Cities
« on: November 28, 2006, 09:15:16 PM »
I am looking for comrades to join me in starting a covert horticultural unit in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area. It being late November, this northern US faction will be a sleeper cell until mother nature calls us into action come spring. This will give us plenty of time for recuiting, stockpiling supplies, and downloading the Mission Impossible theme on to our ipods. ;D

Peace,

papasox

"To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." - Emerson
"The noblest question in the world is, 'What Good may I do in it?'."

- Ben Franklin

Re: Minnesota, Twin Cities
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 06:16:35 PM »
Just joined and I'm interested, but not sure how much time I'm going to have (2 little kids). 

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 05:48:02 AM »
I just joined too. But I think it's a totally awesome idea. I'm going to try to get my friends into this..but I think I'll be the only one doing it. If anyone else is interested send me an email and let's do work.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:25:04 PM »
I'm very interested in getting started this spring in Minneapolis... any further info let me know!

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 07:58:07 PM »
Me too!

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 05:38:16 PM »
Well, spring is (officially) here. Let's discuss what to do once the snow is off the ground! Ideas? Shall we meet at a local coffee shop to meet each other and discuss in person?

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 05:58:10 AM »
I'm interested. Any target areas? Northeast could do for some more green and red and blue and yellow and violet.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 02:18:07 AM »
I'm trying to get an exco class on guerrilla gardening, where we could meet, plan, and get working. If you are interested in the class, or teaching the class (exco= free experimental college where anyone can teach and anyone can take a class- http://www.excotc.org/), send an email.

I'm going to be planting sunflowers around Minneapolis Thursday, I hope you'll see them in a couple of months

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 04:33:17 AM »
My sunflowers have grown some inches these last weeks. Anyone on como between minneapolis/st. paul?

Unfortunately my garlic and sunflowers that were on the U o fM campus keep getting pulled up by miscreants.

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 07:48:15 PM »
I just moved out here and am interested in doing some major summer cover cropping on boulevards to get the soil ready for next year. Thinking about a clover or guar. Any thoughts? Also the exco class is a great idea! Let me know if anyone out there is up for some brainstorming.

Lift!

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 02:05:43 AM »
Hi Guys and gals,

My bf and I will be visiting around August the 24th and would love to help out while we're there. Anyone planning on doing anything around then?

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 02:33:25 AM »
Myself, and a group of about 4 other "crafty mamas" in St. Paul, would love to join the cause.  Where can we receive more information about future activities?

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »
I am interested in some gardening.  Is is too late in the year or is there work to be done yet?

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 07:51:06 PM »
fabulous! let me know if minneapolis decides to go on a mission :)!

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 05:38:16 AM »
It looks like there has been some interest since 2006 for the twin cities, but no confirmed missions as of yet. I have scouted out one place (Downtown St. Paul) that I am planning to hit as soon as the ground is warm enough for planting.  I will post a date when it is close to spring.  This is the location that I am looking at:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=44.951194,-93.086129&panoid=vusX273230KM42wAjkm_Cg&cbp=12,46.90713881722718,,0,5.6072689359398575&ll=44.951119,-93.086075&spn=0.001464,0.003691&z=19

There are quite a number of place around that area that would  also be prime candidates.

So if anyone has a line on some cheap/ free plants dropping me a line would be appreciated.

Please share any ideas you have for the location.  Right now I am think of adding in a circle bed of flowers.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:40:58 AM by Jonathan »

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 08:34:33 PM »
Hey Jonathan,

That looks like a great spot for a garden!  I'm new to GG but have big ideas about getting available food stuffs into urban communities.   Do you think a ring of flowers around something like pole or bush beans would work?  Let me know when you're planning this.

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 01:34:43 AM »
BlackMamba,

I am new to GG as well. I also share your interest in urban food gardening.  I think that your idea to use  pole or bush beans would be a great idea. The fence would provide a natural place for the vines to grow.  I also think that berry bushes (raspberry, Blackberry etc.) would be a great addition.  A lot of times you can get cuttings for free from other gardeners.  I am eager to hear anyone's ideas and I am very interested if you have any available seeds, plants, or cuttings.

I am exploring different ideas, I would love to plant some fruit trees around the neighborhood as well.  The trick is to find ones at a reasonable cost. I would love to plant apple trees,though it may be more cost effective and the trees would require less maintenance if native MN fruit/nut trees were planted.

I am looking at Black Walnut, Wild Plum
Other options can be found here:
http://fruit.cfans.umn.edu/wildfruit.htm

I would also love to have a location to have a regular vegetable garden as well.

Also it might be of interest to those who read this board, the MN DNR is having an event where you can harvest your own maple syrup in some State Parks in March and April. You work with other people and get a share of the syrup. Maybe the skills learned can be used for guerrilla maple syrup harvesting.

More Info Here:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/calendar/app?jsp=/templates/event.jsp&id=15673

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 07:34:11 PM »
I'm surprised how well our ambitions and ideas are matching up!  Maybe everyone who is interested in GG is like this?

Anyway, I love the idea about berry bushes, I've been looking at locations to plant them in my neighborhood.   I'm currently renting a place in Uptown and I think there are a few perfect locations for blueberry bushes around Lake Calhoun.  I'm trying to figure out which green areas around me are good for beauty projects and which can be used for food plots.

Because I'm renting I'm not sure how long I'll be at one address so I figure that likely my only permanent food areas will be on public land.  But I will be growing a garden in my yard.

Another idea I've had is to search for empty lots on real estate websites to find open areas in my neighborhood for more food growing.

I really like your idea about syrup tapping, mostly because I'm sure there are a lot of sugar maples in and around the cities that are being underutilized.  Going to those workshops would be a good way to learn to identify the trees and figure out how to get their deliciousness from them.

What I'm doing right now and plan to do until spring and the future, is start growing warm weather plants like tomatoes and other flowers so that they are ready to plant when the weather is.  I think it will be less likely that our plantings will be destroyed (mowed, tilled, paved etc.) if people can immediately enjoy them.  I was planning on doing this with some tree seeds like apples, those will probably need more nurture and care before planting than any other plant currently in my brain, those are probably the most renewable beneficial.  My main problem right now is finding enough dirt to grow things in without having to pay for it.

Another note, I was reading around on this site and be careful about where you eventually put your vegetable garden.  Too close to a major road and the veggies can pick up a lot of the toxins from the exhaust.  Legumes (like green beans) seem to tolerate it will and are reasonable safe to eat even relatively close to the road.  And it all depends on traffic.

This weekend I'm going to start scavenging around garden centers for pots, dirt, and thrown out plants.  I know Minnesota winter isn't the best time for live plants, but I feel if I get there in time I might be able to save them.

I'm getting really excited about this.

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 05:31:10 AM »
Hi, I'm new to GG and have enjoyed reading your posts.  I maintain two flower gardens on public locations in NE Minneapolis.  One was an abandoned butterfly garden that had originally been planted in memory of somebody in the community.  The other is a small triangle owned by the Mpls Park Board.  It had been planted at one time, but also fallen to neglect.  I have my eye on a third location as well, but I am trying not to get carried away with the amount of time this can take.

I lost my home to foreclosure in September '08.  I took many of the plants from my home and put them in the garden park.  Then I went to a number of properties in North Mpls that were about to have the houses on them razed.  I gathered about 50 viable plants of various sorts and put them in my "foreclosure garden."

For those of you looking for berries...there are still 2 0r 3 fabulous red currant bushes at my former home.  The house is still sitting empty...owned by HUD.  They are probably too big to transplant, but I understand cuttings from currants can be started fairly easily.  Cuttings could be taken without causing any harm to the plant or visual effect of the property. 

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 11:13:33 AM »
Hi,

I'm looking to start/help with a garden in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and am also interested in growing food.  I may have some access to raspberry plants and I have a few troops that can help.  Let me know if anyone is planning a planting or knows a good spot, we'd be happy to help!

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 12:40:36 AM »
I'm still all for it! I've made some seed bombs with native flowers and am planning to press them into cracks and places around the uptown area. Along 29th st (on the forgotten side of the greenway) was the home to a couple of my surviving sunflowers last year, and are going to be the home to some wildflowers, hopefully, this year. It might be a great location for some food-stuff.

If there are any missions, let's try to post them here!

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 05:46:47 PM »
Just joined the board.

DEFINITELY looking to get involved with a group in the cities. 

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 02:04:22 AM »
We should really organize an event or missing for GGs in the Twin Cities area. Who is with me? If we can start out with just a handful of people, it would be really great... email jmchristopherson@gmail.com

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 02:50:04 AM »
Has been quite a bit of interest on Twitter for a GG outing in the Twin Cities, I think we could get very large Twitter/Facebook group driven to this sites and do quite well for an outing if we identify some locations.  My question is how would we get some sponsors for donation of plants and seeds?

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 03:15:35 AM »
We are having a planting tomorrow night the 30th if you want to come!  Email me for directions info etc.  eharri@lovaas.com.  We will be in Northeast Minneapolis by the U.

Plus if you have plants or tools that you want to bring that would be great!

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 06:43:49 PM »
Anyone else in the Eden Prairie area?  I am not likely to go into town, (I'll be lucky to find time to work in my own yard) but I am interested. I try to keep up the road side by my house, just off Cty Rd 4.

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I just found this board & I am new to guerrilla gardening as well.

On June 7th I will be doing a free Seed Bomb Workshop at ARISE! http://www.arisebookstore.org/

It will begin at 7:00, then after we will watch the movie Being There.

If anyone on this board has any insight on how to make this a successful workshop, I would really appreciate your input.

Please feel free to e-mail me at bridget.mcdonald@gmail.com

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 11:15:34 PM »
How is this project going. I am interested. Thanks for sharing.

~ Sam

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 08:56:08 PM by SamTHorn »

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 04:13:31 AM »
it seems like this has been kind of inactive for a while but if there is anyone who would like to do a little urban gardening let me know i would be very interested. i was just shown how to make seed bombs but would be interested in any other techniques for guerrilla gardening.

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 03:32:49 AM »
Putting out an invite to do some discussion for scouting/planning of some more "unique sites."  Open for ideas... It'd be fun to meet up<--

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2014, 04:04:57 PM »
To anyone still around I believe we should plan something this spring, and then accordingly make or get supplies, and attack with seed bombs and moss graffiti!