city veg plot idea?

• 5 replies
city veg plot idea?
« on: November 26, 2006, 04:08:48 PM »
Hi,
I am a gardener and an occasional artist , and i'm trying to combine these in a project to transform one of the city council's municipal flowerbed into an ornamental and productive vegetable bed.
Does anyone know of anywhere that this (or any similar project) has been done before?
One of the biggest obstacles is to persuade the council to let me use one of their display beds, so evidence of other successes would be good.  I have considered doing this as a guerilla project but was worried that it wouldn't last more that a few days - i live in a very manicured city......
Any advice gratefully received,
Vicki,
Oxford

juju

• Gartenpiraten@GrueneWelle!
Re: city veg plot idea?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 08:11:48 AM »
hi vicki,
my friend made and tended an ornamental vegetable garden for a business school. she s in edingburgh now. i will try to get ahold of her and ask her if you may give her a call so she can tell you more if you like.
juju

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 08:24:59 PM »
Hello Vicki... this is a great idea! We're hoping to do something similar in our town too (though, we're having trouble finding a location)... here is a list of resources that I've compiled that you might find helpful: http://ishpeming.thewebpage.net/garden/resources.html
A weed is but an unloved flower. ~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 02:34:47 PM »
Just go ahead and do it. Plant pole beans on a fence surrounding a baseball diamond or pumpkins along a cemetary. I did things like that for years in Portland Maine, made the papers too but no one ever caught me tending.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 08:58:32 PM »
ahhh... those are good ideas... I'm afraid that the neat-freaks here will just mow them though... but it's worth a try!
A weed is but an unloved flower. ~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 12:51:20 AM »
The neat freaks drive me crazy.  There's a huge parking lot to an old kmart.  It's been closed for six years and they still pay someone to come weed wack all the plants down.  Why don't they xerolandscape and practice a little benign neglect? No way would I throw my plants in there to get weed wacked.  With guerilla gardening not enough can be said about location.  Watching lots yearround is a good idea.  In fact a lot of places I thought about doing, would later on spring hundreds of flowers and obviously didn't need me in there mucking things up anyway.