Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2018, 02:01:59 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the GuerrillaGardening.org Community, a place for guerrillas and wannabe guerrillas from around the world. Enlist with a username and password to share your guerrilla gardening plans, activity and advice. Find support or just go for it solo, sow the seed and get something growing. Click here to return to the home page: www.GuerrillaGardening.org

You can also connect with people at the GuerrillaGardening.org Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/guerrillagardening

TIP: To get alerts to replies to your messages click PROFILE then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left hand side menu. There is a check box to get alerts, and a check box to see recent posts at the top.

+  guerrillagardening.org
|-+  Regional Boards
| |-+  Global Forum
| | |-+  Edibles
| | | |-+  Which vegetables/plants grow simpliest
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which vegetables/plants grow simpliest  (Read 17825 times)
chaosmonkey
Troop

« on: March 23, 2009, 11:05:55 PM »

Hi guys.
I want to start our garden guerillia war. Can you tell me vegetables or plants which grow without much care and mostly by themselves. Thank you very much

Hail to the green thumb Wink
Nisaba
Troop

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:49:17 PM »

Pumpkins! I tried to compost some vegetable scraps, and got curcurbit-style plants all over the place. I totally neglected them, and waited for them to fruit to see what they were - tehy turned out to be butternut pumpkins. Delicious. I still have about three left, and all with *no* watering or cultivation.
domestica
Australia GGs
Troop

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 05:21:10 AM »

A good perennial vegetable is Tetragonia (N.Z. spinach/Warragul greens). It's a coastal plant, but I've grown it in heavy clay successfully. Good bushy groundcover/trailing plant, but should be cooked because of high oxalic acid. Heritage & non-hybrid seed companies often have it.
Goochola
Greece GGs
Troop

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 08:35:41 PM »

I think it depends where you live, what sort of climate you have.
I live in a dry, hot climate (greece) and have found that snap dragons spring up in all my pots (I encourage it too). I have even seen them growing out of cracks in building facades. They bloom off and on all year round.
Oleander is a hardy and prolific self sower.
I also get alot of tomatoes, since I compost them and the seeds end up in the pots. Potatoes too... onions...I've cooked a few meals from my compost heap!
Lazeedazee74
Troop

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 04:58:23 PM »

Onions, potatoes & squash grow well here in zone 5, Indiana (US). You can get great bargains on flowering annuals if you know which ones will survive or reseed for the following spring. Here dianthus, snapdragons, petunias, pansys and four o'clocks all reseed or stick around til spring.
monocycle
Troop

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 07:29:21 PM »

jerusalem artichokes grow really well, and they tend to spread alot  Smiley
They make beautifull flowers in the summer, similar to sunflowers
Egregius
Troop

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 03:40:34 PM »

Would depend entirely on climate and the amount of sun the spot is getting.

I've heard jerusalem artichokes are indeed tenacious in terms of keeping it self spreading through it's bulbs underground.

I've also found tomatoes TOO easy to sprout (in the sense that I always get too much plants to pot even from one tomato), but they do need a certain amount of water regularly, and you can't put them outside unless it's regularly over 20 degrees C.

And another tip: don't use potato peels as a compost in the bottom of your pots, because you'll have small potato plants shooting up constantly Smiley
(I have in fact a potato growing in my window sill in between some self-grown pythaya cacti)

Outside in my garden they did less well but that had to do with the amount of sun their spots are getting; too much trees hanging over them. Still they're easy, just not super-pretty imo.

In terms of other plants: see what grows as weed in your area, and experiment with some similar plants. EG cultivated poppys would do well around here I think since wild poppys grow abundantly.
Joanne Lee
ELSEWHERE GGs
Troop

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 08:16:08 AM »

Malaysia, tropical country... Papayas grow really easily. Just dump the seeds anywhere and in a few months, you'll have a tree growing... Justmakesurethegrass cutter dont cut em off when they're shoots
Cryptanthus
Troop

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 12:22:14 AM »

Hi,
Valerianella locusta is a plant of Zentral-Europa. It is tasty and the seeds of this plant are growing on every place oder so.

Gru?
Rainer
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 11:34:04 PM by Cryptanthus » Logged
pacman77
Troop

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »

Pumpkin by far the easiest just need to keep it off the ground and potatoes once buried just leave them till flower grows then dies.
carrots and beetroot easy too.

macro01
Troop

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 11:39:27 AM »

You need to check the soil first.  Actually,
I have tomato, calamansi, chili peppers.
I also have Lychee, and Lanzones, Mango
fruits in my backyard.
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length