Securing planters

• 2 replies
Securing planters
« on: March 16, 2009, 12:46:20 PM »
Hi,

I'd like to get hold of some toughs (could be plastic, could be metal, it doesn't matter) to plant some flowers and brighten up the area outside of my property, which is entirely concrete.  However, living in South East London, most non-attached items are likely to be lifted, and would probably walk off with unattached troughs!

I've noticed that some local Councils use some very large, green heavy duty planters that will sit (and somehow lock) on to railings.  However, I don't have railings, but would be able to drill troughs to the wall.  There are obvious problems when it comes to drainage and putting the troughs in trays, so it would be useful to think of a good way of securing them with a padlock so that they could be moved when necessary, rather than fixed in perpetuity.

Has anybody come up with solutions re. this issue?  Is it possible to get troughs that can be locked into place?

SE11guerrilla

wag

• my 1st
Re: Securing planters
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 12:49:28 AM »
Tricky one, I can only think of getting 3 or more tyres, chaining them each together then lock with a bolt or padlock on each one. Would be extremley hard to move them, as you would have to move 3 or more tyres at once, or they would have to cut the chains. Fill the tyres up with topsoil/compost.

cannonsblazing

Re: Securing planters
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:23:05 AM »
You could follow wag's suggestion, but use troughs with holes cut/drilled in the back to put the chain through.