What food crops are good for GGing?

• 3 replies
What food crops are good for GGing?
« on: February 10, 2009, 05:27:03 PM »
I'm looking for suggestions for food crops that can be GGed.

I'd love to grow the three sisters that the Native Americans were so fond of -Corn, beans, and squash, which work together. The squash keeps down the weeds, and beans add nitrogen to the soil, and the corn allows the beans to grow up it. Anyone have experience GGing them? Can you just plan the three seeds together, water, and hope for the best?

Any minimal-care crop advice or suggestions appreciated.

I'm in central CT, btw.

Re: What food crops are good for GGing?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 06:47:47 AM »
i know that traditionally a farmer drops all 3 seed types in the same hole. they grow at different speeds. multiple seeds of each type can be used too. its a matter of leaving a few meters between each planting then thinning them in case of crowding. should be fine in ct unless the summer is too dry

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 04:38:52 PM »
I will also be planting the three sisters this year. I'll be using 3 different types of sweet corn, 4 different types of runner beans, and for the squash I will include pumpkin. For the bare spots, I'll plant some red clover for ground cover. I'm excited to see how it will turn out.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 02:32:15 PM »
Hello all,
                   My first choice is the Egyptian Onion [which is more like a scallion than an onion.] It can pretty much take care of itself in most situations. You can use it like a scallion but you can also fry up a batch throw on a little sesame oil and eat it like a green vegetable. I learned this from a Chinese lady who served me some garlic chives that way.
I thought I should try it with the Egyptian Onions and it worked out nicely.

I have to say I'm a guerrilla farmer as well as a guerrilla gardener so my perspective is a little different from someone who expects nothing- but the fun of it- from what they plant. Once people realize that there is something they want regularly growing on the "commons" you are in a vulnerable situation.They may take it all! I try and stay ahead of them with "diversity' - a- real hodge podge especially plants not commonly known to my culture. Bulbs and root crops are good since most people don't like to get dirty :D also there is a world of herbs that have medicinal value that most people think of as weeds.And my last resort is to plant seeds of things that require a year or two of growing before they are truly useful. garlic chives for example. Then in the second season I can move them to a more secure area.

Like the lady says,
                                                                                                              Green Blessings to you.
                                                                                                                                                          schnahz