Nasturtium Day 2009

• 5 replies
Nasturtium Day 2009
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:13:54 PM »
Our troop have been guerrilla gardening in Glasgow, Scotland since last summer and inspired by International Sunflower Day have been inspired to declare 4th April 2009 International Nasturtium day in honour of what we consider to be the ultimate guerrilla gardening flower.  They grow in poor soil, thrive on neglect are fast and easy to grow, self seeding and edible.

We are calling on the world's guerrillas to join us in speading the joy of nasturtiums by organising digs in their local areas on 04/04/09 to plant as many nasturtuim seeds as they can lay hands on.

We'd love to hear about your plans and feature your events on our blog

http://www.glasgowguerillagardening.org.uk/

Re: Nasturtium Day 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 06:05:18 PM »
That is such a cool idea and I have the perfect spot for nasturtions - in the road where I work - there's a  spot on the corner that is crying out for something and last year I chucked some poppy seeds in but will have to wait until later this summer to see if they've taken.  Will try with the nasurtiums as they are so bright and robust and long lasting.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 10:47:08 PM »
The only problem with planting out nasturtiums in public here, is that we have a prevalent weed we call "pennywort" with leaves that look identical to nasturtiums (but are tougher and stringier, and taste terrible instead of delicious). The only time you can actually tell the difference between the two plants is when they flower - pennywort have quite a different flower. Most people, me included, are running a mighty campaign against pennywort, so I don't like its chances of being left unmolested around here ...

wag

• my 1st
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:02:25 PM »
planted plenty of seeds, in poor soil and am awaiting results  ;D cant wait

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 01:27:06 AM »
I'm in, and I've given it a plug in this morning's gg news letter. This is going to be one hell of a month for sowing seeds!

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 07:39:48 AM »
Hello everyone, greetings from Ireland!

I have already started spreading a variety of nasturtiums etc around our local vicinity by seed and seed bomb. I like the variagated and red flowered versions, but all the bright colours are also welcome.

They are an ideal plant for beginners and not too expensive.

http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com  Not for guerilla gardeners..... just yet! but quite a story for the curious.   ;-)