Does anyone GG Food?

• 10 replies
Does anyone GG Food?
« on: January 12, 2009, 01:14:26 AM »
I'm just curious if this is a growing trend in GG?  I'd love to know where you are doing it, and whether the land is public or private. 

Paula

tampopo

• http://aware.ie
Does anyone GG Food?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 04:27:02 PM »
Paula,

it's happening here...

http://southcirculargarden.blogspot.com/

with links to another site.

Re: Does anyone GG Food?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:32:50 PM »
The was an article about this on the Oildrum (it's a site discussing peak oil/peak energy, which is why people discuss guerilla food growing for survival purposes).

Recently I answered a question on here about the safety of eating roadside food.

By the way, whenever I GG, I plant seeds I harvested from fruit I've eaten. Not much luck in growing stuff though, probably because the sites are unsuitable for what I'm planting. Did grow some lettuce in a berm, which is definitely unsafe to eat. I plan to plant some more beans (easy to grow!) in various places, and if possible, plant a number of cuttings from my grandmother's apple tree on an unusued industrial lot.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:38:51 AM by Egregius »

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:15:02 PM »
Growing food as a guerrilla gardener is I think a growing trend. It makes sense really. Rising food prices, wanting to know where your food comes from, the satisfaction of eating home grown produce, seeing the potential on fallow land where you live. Though the origins of guerrilla produce  go back a long way. Old Gerrard Winstanley, a guerrilla gardener in the 17th century (before the word guerrilla even existed) did so to grow food for the poor (he was a redundant textile merchant and ambitious thinker). And then there's John "Appleseed" Chapman too, the 19th century American orchard man.

I've dabbled. My Swiss Chard and tomatoes did grew well in the Elephant & Castle and were tasty (well the toms were, the Swiss Chard was disgusting) but a few people have warned me the ground and air conditions might make the food unhealthy. "Organic" is quite hard to achieve when you've got double decker buses trundling past! I've rambled on more in the book of course about this learning from people that know better and picked up some clever 'bio-remediation' types from other guerrilla gardeners (Berlin and New York).

I'm keen to hear of more examples and develop a more focused section on this website about the foody side of things.

Richard

(richard@guerrillagardening.org)

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 10:08:34 AM »
We put in fruiting trees all the time. Olive and figs are particular good here in Melbourne, which has been very dry lately.
greenwithagun - permaculture, democracy, and a future for the world

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 02:34:14 AM »
I'll be planting some passion fruit I've grown at home from my own seeds, in some waste ground near here. What it is, is a grassy pathway with a high fence around a bit in the middle, where there is subsidence from old cola mines.  I intend to throw some seed balls made from garden clay, soil, compost and sunflower seeds into the inaccessible bit. The sunflower seeds are just those random parrot food seeds you can get in bulk for very little money from a supermarket.  I might include some of my own nasturtium seeds too.  The passionfruit will grow up against the fence there.  I've also got quite a few paw paw seedlings that sprung up on their own. They'll go near that fence too.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 09:41:19 AM »
I've dabbled. My Swiss Chard and tomatoes did grew well in the Elephant & Castle and were tasty (well the toms were, the Swiss Chard was disgusting) but a few people have warned me the ground and air conditions might make the food unhealthy. "Organic" is quite hard to achieve when you've got double decker buses trundling past! I've rambled on more in the book of course about this learning from people that know better and picked up some clever 'bio-remediation' types from other guerrilla gardeners (Berlin and New York).

Hey Richard, as food growing is one of my interests as well, I'd be VERY interested in hearing about bio-remediation tips!

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 09:58:35 PM »
...i know this thread is old but.....

so i rescued ( dumpster dive) three packages of sprouts from a food bin ( 2 mixed bean and 1 brocolli) fresh planed them on an abandoned comunity garden plot... i will have updates to follow....

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 10:04:30 AM »
I'm currently growing Tomatoes and lettuce in a old ex-playground!
Been growing there for quite a while now and the first tomatoes are popping up!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:29:46 AM by acer054 »

lcbearth1

• I am simple and kind.
    • Fake Rocks is Nice
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 10:37:40 PM »
Hopefully with that link I can also find my answers on how to plant lettuce in a place where water is less.

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »
I am trying to grow shallots mint basil and garlic in a patch less than one square foot in northern Sydney but the surrounding grass keeps invading. :(