Guerilla harvesting

• 2 replies
Guerilla harvesting
« on: November 22, 2008, 07:34:50 AM »
The location of my relatively new university campus used to be a farm about 10 years ago. Back then, wheat was grown over what is now the campus. Now, volunteer wheat sprout every single year in most empty spaces in the campus area yielding enough wheat to gather about 2 or 3 tonnes. The wheat has adapted surprisingly well to the weeds, because it has naturally developed into a much taller, stronger, "subspecies" due to competition with tall weeds, while still retaining very large grains than the "normal" wheat grown on nearby farms.

This is my first year at campus and after asking around, I seem to be the only one who knows about this 100% naturally grown, rain-watered, no fertilized, purely organic wheat. None of my friends are interested in any sort of gardening, so I've been harvesting while waiting for the bus. I have gathered about 2 kilograms already and it tastes really good when boiled (I don't have grinder, can't grind into flour)

So, would you consider this.. guerrilla harvesting? haha  :P Please feel free to share any opinions, ideas, or suggestions. Thanks.

Re: Guerilla harvesting
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 12:32:03 AM »
<grin> I've been doing this for years, way way before I ever heard of guerilla gardening. I'll pick fruit and nuts from supposedly "ornamental" trees in parks (macadamia nuts and some ornamental plums are frequently planted and frequently bear).

I also "harvest" from plants that are leaning over or crawling under fences - legally anything they bear on branches leaning into public land is public property - and I'm quite okay with taking a plastic bag and my secateurs on my daily walks "for exercise" and taking cuttings of likely-looking plants on or leaning into public land. I draw the line at actually entering people's yards, though, even if they're unfenced. Currently, I have two young elder trees, all of 20cm high (two and a half centimetres go into an inch quite comfortably) grown from a single stolen twig that I turned into three cuttings when I got home and rooted using honey instead of hormone powder: the third got planted out at one of my guerilla gardens when I still had a car to carry mega-stuff around.  they are so tall but very bushy, and one of them is actually bursting into flower at its crown, so I'm seriously thinking of taking it dwon the road and planting it somewhere.

I want to keep one at home, to improve my composting, as the best compost is made with comfrey, yarrow and elder leaves in the mix: I already have healthy plants of yarrow and comfrey at home for exactly that reason that I'm not going to plant out there in the world, they're too valuable to me here. So one elder will stay here and I'll even eat the berries if the birds leave me any, but hte other WILL end up somewhere. And someone coming along feeling a bit peckish will be more than welcome to eat the berries off it in future seasons!

I always thought a part of the whole ethos of guerilla gardening was to have free poublic food scattered around here and there. (A friend of mine used to grow a public pot plant in a particular part of Paddington, Sydney - people in the Elizabeth Street region woulde remember that. Everyone used to harvest just a bit for themselves)

Re: Guerilla harvesting
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:43:49 AM »
i am a keen cutting taker and have a little trouble getting woody cuttings to root. i have honey do you soak it or dip? i normaly use 5050 mix soil and rain water. that seems to  work pretty well but i have tried some apple and pear cuttings 3 of each and all have died :(